PDA

View Full Version : Free D-link DIR-615 Wirless Router - Is it mine to keep?

sniper007
09-03-2010, 20:19
I got a free router from Virgin as I upgraded but I already have a good router and it's heavily configured. Do I need to keep the Virgin one forever in my loft or can I give it to someone/sell it?

Regards

Scrubbs
09-03-2010, 20:42
I think all virgin gear is theirs, they only let you borrow it:)
So.. no you can't sell it or give it away. AFAIK
Wether they wil actually ask for it back is another thing altogether. Do a search and you will learn more;)

teamk9
09-03-2010, 20:51
no its yours its actually classed as a free gift, so give it away as its crap on the 50meg service lol

sniper007
09-03-2010, 20:59
I'm on 20mb, but regardless, I've read that a lot of people have issues with this router. I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of reconfiguring everything. Besides, my current router is an open source Linksys with custom firmware which I like. I did see it was given as a "free" gift so I might flash it to a more generic non VM firmware and sell it, assuming anyone would want it, or keep as a spare. What firmware can you put on it?

Peter_
09-03-2010, 21:20
no its yours its actually classed as a free gift
I really do think that people should read what is actually on the website before making sweeping statements such as the above.:erm:;)

3Free wireless router offer for L and XL: Wireless enabled equipment required. Available to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: L and Size: XL Broadband services (subject to status and credit checks). Wireless router for XXL: Wireless router and adaptor are included your package. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.Taken from HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3246)

Acathla
09-03-2010, 21:40
There are a ton of them on eBay - I think they sell for between £10-£20 so not great.
You can however now load DD-WRT on it and use it for a variety of task - I would go down that route!

Peter_
09-03-2010, 21:47
There are a ton of them on eBay - I think they sell for between £10-£20 so not great.
You can however now load DD-WRT on it and use it for a variety of task - I would go down that route!
Not an option I would choose especially with regards to the Netgear WGR614 as even Netgear refuse to support that one due to the embeddded Virgin firmware.;)

v0id
09-03-2010, 23:18
Not an option I would choose especially with regards to the Netgear WGR614 as even Netgear refuse to support that one due to the embeddded Virgin firmware.;)

Unless you got a WGR614 when Telewest were giving them out to top tier subscribers (for free) AND you moaned at them about the outdated 'exploitable' firmware they had loaded onto them so that they sent another router without said embedded firmware ;)

sniper007
10-03-2010, 09:20
Ok so it remains property of Virgin Media and I should keep it in my loft forever till it goes dusty and is worthless. I think I'll just pretend it's up there and sell it.

*sloman*
10-03-2010, 11:58
Ok so it remains property of Virgin Media and I should keep it in my loft forever till it goes dusty and is worthless. I think I'll just pretend it's up there and sell it.

lol worst comes to the worst you may have to pay for it.

My free Netgear-N stopped working called up and they sent me a new one. Asked the girl on the phone if they want the old one back she said no you can throw it away.

VM must be buying these for next to nothing for them to say that. i think 20MB customers now get the N router free also.

soup dragon
10-03-2010, 12:12
i got the N router last week when I upgraded to 20M

Matt-08
10-03-2010, 22:01
lol worst comes to the worst you may have to pay for it.

My free Netgear-N stopped working called up and they sent me a new one. Asked the girl on the phone if they want the old one back she said no you can throw it away.

VM must be buying these for next to nothing for them to say that. i think 20MB customers now get the N router free also.

All packages get the DIR-615, it's now the only router available from VM.

Peter_
10-03-2010, 23:21
All packages get the DIR-615, it's now the only router available from VM.
We still supply and support the Netgear WGR614 router which 10Mb customers still receive.;)

Ben B
10-03-2010, 23:24
...and you still support the WNR2000...right?

Peter_
10-03-2010, 23:29
...and you still support the WNR2000...right?
We support the Netgear WGR614,WNR2000 and the D Link DIR615 plus the USB and PCMIA adaptors that go with each router.

Ben B
10-03-2010, 23:36
We support the Netgear WGR614,WNR2000 and the D Link DIR615 plus the USB and PCMIA adaptors that go with each router.
Ah good, I'd rather have a Netgear than a D-Link anyway :)

Peter_
10-03-2010, 23:48
Ah good, I'd rather have a Netgear than a D-Link anyway :)
We no longer supply the WNR2000 though.

roughbeast
16-03-2010, 20:18
I got a free router from Virgin as I upgraded but I already have a good router and it's heavily configured. Do I need to keep the Virgin one forever in my loft or can I give it to someone/sell it?

Regards

They will never ask for the router back.

I sold mine to a mate on 20Mb. He is really pleased with it. I replaced it with a Netgear WNDR3700 because I needed 1000Mb ethernet for HD vid around the house.

N00N00
16-03-2010, 20:51
What are the settings I need to use for one of these please? I managed to get the wifi part communicating with my mac, but no luck getting it to work with the cable modem (it's all plugged in correctly and everything so don't worry about that part). I selected DHCP - is there a host name i need?

Peter_
16-03-2010, 21:46
What are the settings I need to use for one of these please? I managed to get the wifi part communicating with my mac, but no luck getting it to work with the cable modem (it's all plugged in correctly and everything so don't worry about that part). I selected DHCP - is there a host name i need?
D Link setup (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34916465-post3.html)

N00N00
17-03-2010, 00:22
Thanks, still no joy. No internet at all.

Is the internet light supposed to be orange or green? Currently I have an orange light on it - the manual shows a green one though it's quite poorly written and doesn't really say either way what it should be.

Also there's a button on the side of the router that goes blue when you press it but I've absolutely no idea what it's for - the manual is no help with this either and makes no mention of it.

Edit - managed to find the second answer on Google:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r19642027-DIR615-Button-on-right-side-Flashes-Blue

Peter_
17-03-2010, 00:26
Thanks, still no joy. No internet at all.

Is the internet light supposed to be orange or green? Currently I have an orange light on it - the manual shows a green one though it's quite poorly written and doesn't really say either way what it should be.

Also theer's a button on the side of the router that goes blue when you press it but I've absolutely no idea what it's for - the manual is no help with this either and makes no mention of it.
Reboot the modem as it may be the internet light that is orange, it looks like a globe.

Paul
17-03-2010, 01:09
Mine died tonight, after just two days :(

psyfur
17-03-2010, 13:26
I got a new DIR 615 with my 10 meg line. I used it to replace my netgear range finder max (4 years old) and got completely rubbish connection and signal. I went straight back to the netgear and the connection problems disappeared.

aptsys
18-03-2010, 10:52
They will never ask for the router back.

You say that, but I had to give back my White Netgear when I had 50mbit installed.

mjpartyboy
31-03-2010, 11:19
I might flash it to a more generic non VM firmware and sell it, assuming anyone would want it, or keep as a spare. What firmware can you put on it?

After having issues with their VM supplied D-Link DIR-615 revision D2 router, a user at AVForums decided to install D1 firmware version 4.11 on it, because they couldn't find any D2 alternatives, and it worked and they have been much happier with its performance compared to haven't reported suffering whatever problems they were previously having.

http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Product_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLTechProduct&cid=1197319391320&p=1197318962147&packedargs=OuickLinksParentID%3D1197318962147%26lo cale%3D1195806691854&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper

ftp://ftp.dlink.cz/dir/dir-615/driver_software/

Although the VM DIR-615 admin pages aren't Virgin branded, what's different about firmware version 1.00VG and the D2 revision router compared to the off-the-shelf DIR-615?

Is the D2 revision simply an identifier that it's a VM router and it is in fact the same as a D1?

AdamD
01-04-2010, 21:12
After having issues with their VM supplied D-Link DIR-615 revision D2 router, a user at AVForums decided to install D1 firmware version 4.11 on it, because they couldn't find any D2 alternatives, and it worked and they have been much happier with its performance compared to haven't reported suffering whatever problems they were previously having.

Hmm, wouldn't this somehow violate the agreement we have with Virgin? or are we free to change the firmware?

Chrysalis
03-04-2010, 11:13
its probably violating the agreement somewhat but its not really an issue unless you cancelled the service and gave them the router back with the modified firmware on, that would probably then be classed as damaged equipment.

Peter_
17-06-2010, 21:11
WNR2000 v the D-Link DIR615

Which of the two and why?

Not sure what you mean, but they both perform equally well and are both simple to set up, but you will just get what we have in stock as the no way of specifying which model you will receive.

roughbeast
17-06-2010, 21:25
WNR2000 v the D-Link DIR615

Which of the two and why?

Presumably when 100Mb and 200Mb get rolled VM will have to deploy routers with 1Gb ethernet capability. Nobody will convince me that wireless technology can deliver that speed too all parts of a large house or to multiple machines.

Indeed I would argue that 10/100 ethernet shouldn't be deployed to any VM customer even now. Customers require gigabit ethernet to support HD streaming around the house. I don't believe that the WNR2000 or the D-Link DIR615 can do that.

Peter_
17-06-2010, 22:38
Presumably when 100Mb and 200Mb get rolled VM will have to deploy routers with 1Gb ethernet capability. Nobody will convince me that wireless technology can deliver that speed too all parts of a large house or to multiple machines.

Indeed I would argue that 10/100 ethernet shouldn't be deployed to any VM customer even now. Customers require gigabit ethernet to support HD streaming around the house. I don't believe that the WNR2000 or the D-Link DIR615 can do that.
Of they are trialling new kit for customers but it is all under wraps as it is a need to know situation and even if I knew what we were trialling I would not post it due to it being business sensitive information.;)

HaydenHarnet
31-07-2010, 11:46
thanks for great infos , every day we learn something new

adzii_nufc
31-07-2010, 11:56
The dude that installed my 50meg modem told me to slap mine on Ebay :dunce:

They asked for my NTL 250 modem when I got 50mb too!

Although they never bothered following through with that when I quizzed them about it being any use to them whatsoever.

But yes this is all Virgin's property and is not supposed to be sold but you can always tell them your dog ate it right..

Blackened
24-09-2010, 09:39
Question for Masque:
We still supply and support the Netgear WGR614 router which 10Mb customers still receive.;)I'm a 10mb customer - am I eligible for one of these? I'm about to start shopping for a new router as mine's giving up the ghost, but I'd be happy to try a free one if that's likely to happen.

Peter_
24-09-2010, 09:41
Question for Masque:
I'm a 10mb customer - am I eligible for one of these? I'm about to start shopping for a new router as mine's giving up the ghost, but I'd be happy to try a free one if that's likely to happen.
You would have to pay for a router from Virginmedia but if you upgraded to 20Mb then you would receive the new combined modem/router hub for free.

Blackened
24-09-2010, 09:43
Ah right.
No, 20mb is no good for me. Happy where I am - thanks for the quick reply.
:)

Peter_
24-09-2010, 09:45
Ah right.
No, 20mb is no good for me. Happy where I am - thanks for the quick reply.
:)
Everything has changed since June with the new hub, but a D Link will cost you £50 with a 2 year warranty and full support from Virginmedia.

Blackened
24-09-2010, 09:51
What's 'the new hub' ?

Our needs are very meagre these days. I just need to be online with one wired and 4 wireless devices, with only ever two of the above connected at one time. D/L speeds aren't important. All that considered it doesn't make sense for me to upgrade our speed or shell out for an expensive router. The Netgear WGR614 I've been using for e v e r does the job well, but is starting to show signs of dementia.

Peter_
24-09-2010, 09:55
What's 'the new hub' ?

Our needs are very meagre these days. I just need to be online with one wired and 4 wireless devices, with only ever two of the above connected at one time. D/L speeds aren't important. All that considered it doesn't make sense for me to upgrade our speed or shell out for an expensive router. The Netgear WGR614 I've been using for e v e r does the job well, but is starting to show signs of dementia.
This is the Hub http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-extras/wireless-routers.html

Blackened
24-09-2010, 10:06
Oh, that's neat. A router/modem combo. Nice.
New customers: Free with Broadband L (http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-10mb.html) or XL (http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-20mb.html)
Existing customers: Free with Broadband L and XL if you've never had broadband with us
:dozey:
Didn't see that one coming..

Peter_
24-09-2010, 10:33
Oh, that's neat. A router/modem combo. Nice.
:dozey:
Didn't see that one coming..It is £60 for existing customers unless you upgrade to 20Mb.

Blackened
24-09-2010, 10:41
Yes, I saw that. Existing 10mb customers are charged £60. New one's get it for free.
As I say, no surprise there.
I shan't be upgrading or paying £60 to get it when some get it sent for nothing.
I'll stay as I am and hit the 'bay for a router.
Thanks again.

Peter_
24-09-2010, 10:56
Yes, I saw that. Existing 10mb customers are charged £60. New one's get it for free.
As I say, no surprise there.
I shan't be upgrading or paying £60 to get it when some get it sent for nothing.
I'll stay as I am and hit the 'bay for a router.
Thanks again.
If you see a hub do not touch it as it will just be an expensive doorstop.:D

Blackened
24-09-2010, 11:12
I wouldn't buy any VM stuff from eBay. Sick to death of trying to tell people they are not flogging 'their' stuff at all. 4 page long thread recently on another forum where a bloke was selling 'his' V+ HD box as he was out of his contract so it was now 'his'. :rolleyes:
Even when VM staff posted in he was still adamant he'd been told the equipment was his to sell.
Someone eventually posted a quote of one of your posts on here.
It beggars belief.

Hub would be nice I have to say. Only one device to constantly reboot then.. ;)

Peter_
24-09-2010, 11:13
I wouldn't buy any VM stuff from eBay. Sick to death of trying to tell people they are not flogging 'their' stuff at all. 4 page long thread recently on another forum where a bloke was selling 'his' V+ HD box as he was out of his contract so it was now 'his'. :rolleyes:
Even when VM staff posted in he was still adamant he'd been told the equipment was his to sell.
Someone eventually posted a quote of one of your posts on here.
It beggars belief.

Hub would be nice I have to say. Only one device to constantly reboot then.. ;)
Well he could actually end up with a bill for £250 for that box.:D