PDA

View Full Version : How do I wireless enable my Virgin Broadband?

untechnical
09-03-2010, 18:00
I've had a couple of attempts at this and failed.

I borrowed a wireless access point (not a wireless modem), connected to the Virgin (NTL) cable modem and power cycled everything. I then connected a laptop which found the wireless and connected to the internet, but when I tried to connect a second laptop it found the wireless but could not get an internet connection.

I then borrowed an Apple TimeCapsule (with Airport) and connected that to the Virgin Modem and power cycled everything. The TimeCapsule showed a positive internet connection. The Laptop found the wireless but could not get an internet connection.

Is the Virgin service limited to only one device?

I have both Mac and PC laptops, both of which will connect to the internet when connected directly to the Modem via ethernet lead, but even using an ethernet hub, I can still only connect ONE laptop at a time.

Thanmks to anyone who can help.:confused:

Graham M
09-03-2010, 18:03
You need a wireless router, not an access point, a router acts as a firewall and hides all your PCs out of harms way while allowing them to all access the Internet.

untechnical
09-03-2010, 18:18
Thanks Graham,

Is it the 'router' that will enable multiple devices to connect to the internet? (This seems to be different to BT/Variants - or do BT/Sky & Co. provide Modem-Routers?).

Would you recommend a particular Wireless Router?

Thanks again

Spectato
09-03-2010, 19:31
Yes, the modem is connected to the router, and everything then connects to the Internet via the router.
Most modern, domestic routers give both wireless and wired connection, so you can have relatively fast wired LAN (Local Area Network) for passing files etc. between PCs.

I'm using a manky old Linksys WRT54G on my home network.
I guess I'd recommend it, since it covers about everything (except SNMP) and is 100% reliable.
(The current WRT54GL goes for around £40)

untechnical
11-03-2010, 10:52
Thanks for you comments Graham and Spectato.

I've had a looking at some reviews for Linksys routers WRT54GL and WRT160N - both sound really good but there seems to be some concerns about problems using them with VPN services. As I work from home and need to connect to company systems via a Cisco VPN, this is a really important concern.

I naively thought this would be a 'plug & play' thing but it's now starting to sound quite complicated.

Anyone got any knowledge of this?

Twilight Zone
11-03-2010, 13:33
Hi Untechnical,

Like you, I occaisionally work from home through a Cisco VPN connection. I have recently obtained a d-link n router from Virgin (free of charge without upgrading - although that's a different thread, just search for my other posts).

I connect my home laptop and my work laptop at the same time with no problems, so no the Virgin service is not limited to 1 device.

The issue is:
1. Are you entitled to a free router from Virgin (you may not be 'entitled' but if you are a long standing customer a word in the right ear may get you one.
2. If not, do you buy one supplied by Virgin, or buy a different one. Opinion seems divided on the quality of the router supplied by Virgin but if you get if for free what do you have to lose?

Hope this helps
TZ

ThunderPants73
11-03-2010, 20:40
Untechnical,

If your knowledge of routers is poor (like mine), please make sure that you password protect your router, otherwise you will have people piggy-backing your internet connection before you know it.
If you already know this, then sorry, just looking out for your best interests. x

Jon T
11-03-2010, 20:58
since it covers about everything (except SNMP))

Flash it with DD-WRT