PDA

View Full Version : Considering Virgin - Paved Garden?

SteveWatson007
09-03-2010, 13:51
Hi folks,

After growing increasingly annoyed with the slow speeds of my "up to 10Mb" internet connection, I'm considering getting the XXL package from Virgin Media. My wife used to work for Telewest many years ago and we had their services fitted then, and we encountered a problem, which is the reason I'm posting here.

I know from the previous installation that the connection to the cables for my street is outside the back of my house. That wouldn't be a problem - but I have a fully-paved back garden. As such, the previous installation involved the cable being placed in a green tube and run around the outside of my garden.

Now, this was a problem, because we have two rabbits - who like to chew through cables that are housed in green tubes!

So, my question is this - has anyone else had Virgin Media fitted with a fully-paved garden, and if so, should I expect the same sortof installation as before? I imagine it's too much to expect them to lift the paving slabs and run the cable under them, right?

Chris
09-03-2010, 13:52
They won't lift the slabs, but you could do it, and put your own cable run beneath them.

BenMcr
09-03-2010, 13:58
Not sure if Virgin would use any customer installed cable though.

SteveWatson007
09-03-2010, 13:59
Ahhhh, okay, thanks Chris. I did expect that to be the answer, to be honest. I suspect the cable round the edge of the garden would be the better option for now, somewhat-annoyingly, as I don't think lifting the slabs is an option!

Chris
09-03-2010, 14:08
Not sure if Virgin would use any customer installed cable though.

Probably not, which is why I said 'cable run' - as in, a thing through which cable may be run. ;)

BenMcr
09-03-2010, 14:14
Sorry - I read it as 'cable' 'run beneath them'

Lord Nikon
09-03-2010, 14:39
Or, and this is just a maybe, you could lift the slabs, dig the trench and let them run the cable in the prepared trench.

calmpitbull
09-03-2010, 22:29
Probably not, which is why I said 'cable run' - as in, a thing through which cable may be run. ;)

That wasn't clear to me either. I think conduit or ducting would be more on the money myself.

philce
16-03-2010, 22:14
That wasn't clear to me either. I think conduit or ducting would be more on the money myself.

I put some ducting under my block paving when it was laid 3 years ago (same as the green stuff but orange).

The installers who came last week were very pleased to see it, and used it no problem, saved them digging the garden up!

Didnt help them getting a new cable through the ducts in the pavement though, they are full of soil! They joined to the 20yr old cable that is in the ground, apparently someone should come to clear the ducts and replace the cable, we are still waiting!

Will this be a problem (old coax with 2 joints between me and the cab (not waterproofed, one joint sticking up out of the green pipe on the pavement))?