PDA

View Full Version : Help with router

Markuk86
07-03-2010, 22:56
Hey all. I've had virgin 50meg for around 10 months. the first 8-10 weeks was pure hell! Finally got it sorted. For the last 5months or so, my router restarts itself. I have just tolerated it up till now, as it restarts, and comes right back on.

Some days its fine and other days it can restart up to 8 times. Usually within a gap of 20-40 mins. For the last 4days now its been restarting a lot. 3-8 times a day. Today i've been online for around 6 hours and its restarted 4 times. Again it would restart... 30mins or so later it would restart again. I would say i have problems 2-3times a month with my modem also. The blue tick light would just flash. And i'd have to wait an hour or so until it fixes itself.

I probably should contact virgin, but as i said i had MAJOR problems when i first got it, and i dont really want an engi to come and mess anything up.

Could my router have a fault? Could something be interfering with it? When i play online with xbox. i get disconnections every 30mins too. Now thats prob down to my settings. The modem/router would work fine. I would just lose connection to xbox. I have also noticed only port 1 and 4 work on my router. If i connect my xbox or ps3 to any other port, it doesnt work.

Any advice / suggestions?

Thanks!

Welshchris
07-03-2010, 23:42
First off could u post the modem power levels of downstream and upstream as the loss of connection from modem side could be a power level issue

u can get them by typing 192.168.100.1 into ur browser.

As for the router issue with router restarting could be a router issue or PSU for ur router playing up.

Markuk86
07-03-2010, 23:53
Hey.

UP:
Power Level
(dBmV) 39.25 N/A N/A N/A

DOWN:
Power Level
(dBmV) 6.14 6.25 6.09 N/A
RxMER
(dB) 37.36 36.84 37.36 N/A

Is there anyway to find out for sure whats causing the router to restart?

thanks for the reply!