PDA

View Full Version : Power Levels

chambohambo
07-03-2010, 22:24
How do these look? problem I have is the upstream has been going up to 53.5 dbmv intermittently cant really put a time on it anyways what happens is msn disconnects along with skype etc there is already a 10db forward path attenuator on the modem I have an techie coming out next week what do you think he will do put me on a different tap in the cab? they normally knock on the door with a brand new modem ha.

WebSTAR EPC2100R2

Signal
This page provides important information about the status and quality of the communications between your cable modem and the cable modem network.

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

Modulation
256QAM

Bit Rate
10240000 bits/sec

Power Level
-1.6 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
41.4 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency
34000000 Hz

Modulation
16QAM

Symbol Rate
512000 bits/sec

Power Level
47.5 dBmV

Peter_
07-03-2010, 22:35
Those power levels are spot on for your connection.

chambohambo
07-03-2010, 22:37
thanks for replying back Moldova, but as I have said the upstream goes up to like 53.5dbmv which is causing me a problem as it must be that as I have checked my computer and I have also got a friend to bring his round and plug in and same problem.

Signal
This page provides important information about the status and quality of the communications between your cable modem and the cable modem network.

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.

Downstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

Modulation
256QAM

Bit Rate
10240000 bits/sec

Power Level
-2.0 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
41.2 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency
34000000 Hz

Modulation
16QAM

Symbol Rate
512000 bits/sec

Power Level
47.5 dBmV

Peter_
07-03-2010, 22:40
You should only have issues above 58 as 53.5 is still within normal parameters, maybe the engineer will see something there and be able to do a easy fix.

chambohambo
07-03-2010, 22:41
You got any ideas what it could be? could it be a faulty tap I am connected to in the green cabinet?

Peter_
07-03-2010, 22:42
You got any ideas what it could be? could it be a faulty tap I am connected to in the green cabinet?
We will need the tech to check, but it could be just a glitch on the network, so let us know what he does.

chambohambo
07-03-2010, 22:43
btw what are you levels Moldova?

Peter_
07-03-2010, 22:44
btw what are you levels Moldova?
Pretty similar to yours but on an Ambit 256, all nominal and working fine.

chambohambo
07-03-2010, 22:45
connection just went off then as I seen skype go off along with a radio station I am listening to strange issue

Signal

Downstream Channel

Downstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

Modulation
256QAM

Bit Rate
10240000 bits/sec

Power Level
-2.6 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
39.8 dB

Upstream Channel

Upstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency
34000000 Hz

Modulation
16QAM

Symbol Rate
512000 bits/sec

Power Level
47.5 dBmV

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Log
This page provides important information that can be used to resolve problems with your cable modem.

Time Level Description
Sun Mar 07 12:45:43 2010 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Peter_
07-03-2010, 22:46
You will have to wait and see what the tech does when he comes as everything above is fine, must be a localised issue.

chambohambo
08-03-2010, 07:30
Internet went off about 10x last nights, and I have noticed its mainly in the evening late night, what I have noticed is the cable light on modem stays solid green, but what I have noticed is the send light on the modem flashes weirdly.

chambohambo
09-03-2010, 14:39
Got a technician out tomorrow morning what do you guys think he or she will do, as this problem is intermittent and it has only dropped out once today.

Signal

Downstream Channel

Downstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz

Modulation
256QAM

Bit Rate
10240000 bits/sec

Power Level
3.3 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
40.8 dB

Upstream Channel

Upstream Status
Operational

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency
29200000 Hz

Modulation
16QAM

Symbol Rate
512000 bits/sec

Power Level
44.5 dBmV

III
09-03-2010, 14:52
I think he'll do nothing or at most he'll change the modem, those stats are fine.

chambohambo
09-03-2010, 16:08
Just found these in the logs what does that mean DHCP FAILED is this the reason why I have been having problems? due to DHCP SERVER?

Log
This page provides important information that can be used to resolve
problems with your cable modem.

Time Level Description
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical
field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Request sent, No
response
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no
offer received
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received -
T3 time-out

Peter_
09-03-2010, 16:09
I think he'll do nothing or at most he'll change the modem, those stats are fine.
Very likely and it could even be the same model.;)

chambohambo
09-03-2010, 16:21
how would you pin point if the dhcp server was playing up? same model the modem? to me a modem is a modem.

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

just pinged the dhcp server and I got 86ms on a few pings all the rest of like 7ms.

chambohambo
09-03-2010, 17:21
how would you know or pin point the DHCP server to be having problems?

Log
This page provides important information that can be used to resolve
problems with your cable modem.

Time Level Description
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical
field invalid in response.
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Request sent, No
response
Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no
offer received
Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received -
T3 time-out

Ignitionnet
09-03-2010, 17:29
You would ignore what you mentioned above, the reason the DHCP server didn't respond is in the last line:

It didn't respond because it didn't get the message due to issues on the cable network.

You've an engineer coming, let him do his job, no point in trying to troubleshoot something you don't really understand.

chambohambo
09-03-2010, 17:31
I might just cancel the technician as its been fine today plus the technician I have had out in the past is a complete waste of space, he seems to go for the easy option all the time swapping the equipment when the equipment is not even faulty.

Ignitionnet
09-03-2010, 17:31
Per your other thread...

You would ignore what you mentioned above, the reason the DHCP server didn't respond is in the last line:

It didn't respond because it didn't get the message due to issues on the cable network.

You've an engineer coming, let him do his job, no point in trying to troubleshoot something you don't really understand.

The DHCP server is fine, stop trying to find the fault, it's a fault with the cable network which the service tech will either resolve or escalate to the networks guys.

Kymmy
09-03-2010, 17:33
DHCP and POWER Levels threads merged due to opinion it's the same fault