PDA

View Full Version : 50Mbs was slow. Restart fixed it. Why?

REM
07-03-2010, 18:11
Hi, I have been having real problems with my 50Mb/s broadband.

In the end I turned everything off and back on again after a couple of minutes.

I went from this
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/19533771.png

to this
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/19538591.png

What could have been wrong that restarting the modem and router would fix?

With speedtest.net and mybroadbandspeed there was a a delay of minutes between the download test and upload test. Now there is no delay.

What would have changed?

Sephiroth
07-03-2010, 20:46
We can't be sure unless you post your before and after modem stats so we can see which channels you were allocated.

Most likely you got onto an uncongested upstream channel. Looks like you're on the 10 meg upstream trial. Yes?

REM
07-03-2010, 21:43
Is there a 10meg trial? No one told me.

I thought the figures looked higher than before but I couldn't remember what they were.

Thanks

Ignitionnet
07-03-2010, 22:49
Most likely you got onto an uncongested upstream channel. Looks like you're on the 10 meg upstream trial. Yes?

Still only a single channel per node, no way to be on an uncongested upstream short of physical work. No bonded trials outside of Ashford afaik.

REM:

Modems do get sluggish occasionally, perhaps a memory leak in one of the processes dealing with demodulation, TurboDox malfunctioning, who knows?

Point is we don't know, we'll not be able to find out, Virgin won't know either. Almost all hardware needs a restart every now and then. It seems to be working just fine now so no point speculating about it as that's all it'll be, pure speculation.

If we were using business grade kit and had guaranteed uptime and support we were paying thousands a year for an outage report would be in order, as it is best to just :shrug: as it saves a lot of guesswork :)

EDIT: Now you might see why they ask people to reboot stuff on the recorded messages when you call tech support ;)