PDA

View Full Version : A BSR in Swansea being replaced

Welshchris
07-03-2010, 14:58
Why would virgin goto all the trouble of replacing an entire BSR?

Could it be the ongoing Motorolla BSR issues or just that the unit is faulty, i was informed about it this morning after asking yesterday when the high download utilisation is gonna be sorted and was told...

"I have been informed by our network team that the BSR you connect to is in
the process of being replaced. This is due for completion by Tuesday
morning. This has a reference hnumber of F001206496."

Impz2002
07-03-2010, 15:08
You never know. They might be replacing it with a new cisco 10k or as you say it may just be old and faulty. Not a cheap fix I'm sure but it obviously is needed. I wouldn't expect any sudden miraculous jump in performance mind you because it's still going to be using the same bandwith as the last one so unless it was the BSR that was causing the bottleneck you prob won't see any difference!

Impz

Welshchris
07-03-2010, 15:12
Impz its not that old, its one of the new ones they fitted in August last year for 50mb upgrades but proved with others to be tempremental.

Peter_
07-03-2010, 17:02
It is more likely to be getting extra cards or re segmented rather than replaced, I expect Ignitionnet will inform us more about it.

Ignitionnet
07-03-2010, 17:16
It is more likely to be getting extra cards or re segmented rather than replaced, I expect Ignitionnet will inform us more about it.

He has no idea what they are talking about I'm afraid. Replacing an entire chassis doesn't make much sense unless there is a problem with the chassis itself. The line cards are where all the cool stuff happens the chassis just links them to the SRMs.

Chris
07-03-2010, 17:50
Oh ... hi, Chris. :zzz:

Welshchris
07-03-2010, 18:57
He has no idea what they are talking about I'm afraid. Replacing an entire chassis doesn't make much sense unless there is a problem with the chassis itself. The line cards are where all the cool stuff happens the chassis just links them to the SRMs.

The entire chassis is being replaced for another motorolla one they have stated

"That is the most up to date information we have at the moment. Its a
standard chassis swap"

and also they have stated...

"It will be another Moto BSR."

U can go and view it for urself on the newsgroups.

Chris
07-03-2010, 19:17
U can go and view it for urself on the newsgroups.

That's not necessary. The issue isn't whether you're making it up, the issue is why you feel the need to keep trolling this forum with endless, unhelpful speculation about VM's network hardware.

Welshchris
07-03-2010, 20:24
how is it speculation when its happening? to speculate would be i would be saying that its likely to happen and have not been told a definitive answer.

And i was just asking a valid question as to why they would do this, and if anyone else knew if it was because of the ongoing Motorolla issues.

Chris
07-03-2010, 20:27
I'm not biting. Please re-read this:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34937361-post45.html

Thread closed.