PDA

View Full Version : is my install possible?

d2a
05-03-2010, 18:50
street is cabled and adjacent addresses show as 50meg ready on the virgin site but reports my top floor flat as not being cable ready. even the ground floor flat in the same block is shown as ready. is this just a postcode black spot or is there some reason why only the ground floor flat can receive cable?

the cable for the ground floor seems to be a spur off the next door neighbour's brown wall junction box, rather than coming directly from the pavement in front of the house.

the block is 4 storeys high and was built after the street was cabled.

if it is possible, how would i go about starting the install process if virgin database shows this address as not possible?

thanks for any thoughts.

Ben B
05-03-2010, 19:15
:welcome:

Fill out this form and a member of the Spotters team should get in touch with you http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

Ben :)

nodrogd
05-03-2010, 23:15
I wouldn't get your hopes up too high (excuse the pun!). If I remember right VM engineers aren't allowed to work above 2 storeys high. A spotter will confirm.

MovedGoalPosts
05-03-2010, 23:42
If the ground floor flat is being served via a neighbouring flat, that in itself is on dodgy legal ground as there would be no easement (legal right) for such routing of services. Cables can only come from the street.

To be able to service your flat there needs to be a cable duct from the street to your block of flats, and then a duct route through your block to each flat. Few if any blocsk are built with such an arrangement. Furthermore the freeholds will have needed to grant the easements for services, and those should have been written into leases. If those paperwork issues haven't been dealt with it's unlikely that even if VM wished to service you flat, that they can do so. Overcoming the legal issues, combined with the contruction of the ducts is probably not worth the effort to VM, unless a good majority of people in the block want VM services.