PDA

View Full Version : Area wide problem in Swansea

frabe
05-03-2010, 03:11
This was confirmed by a virgin media engineer who came to look at my broadband

My modem ready light hasn't locked on for the past few months but i've had intermittant connection, i assumed it was the detroyed street cab, the engineer told me i was wrong and it was a problem in the whole of Swansea but the cab box was due to be fixed on 1st march

its now 5th march and the cab box still isin't fixed.

can we conclude that virgin media engineers are just liars or that there is really a problem in swansea? btw i "borrowed" a -10db attenuator off a friend that stablised my power levels for now

Welshchris
05-03-2010, 10:13
Frabe there was a wide outage yesterday, affected users in SA1, SA2 and SA3 areas.

My connection was down from just after 10am to just after 7pm, one good thing was tho they found an extra fault on the part of the network i was on when dealing with the fault at hand they wernt aware of a low SNR issue that has solved my upstream issues.

Delta Whiskey
05-03-2010, 13:51
Mine was out too, when I phoned they didn't know there was a system fault so an engineer was booked for today. I phoned and cancelled the call this morning.

toonlight
06-03-2010, 13:15
btw i "borrowed" a -10db attenuator off a friend that stablised my power levels for now

Well as you just last year in the swansea area (SA2), with an Ambit 256 virgin cable modem, was getting time out, loss of conection, resetting every time, every day have to do this more & till my internet was screwed + wasn't having any of it :mad: !

I phoned up, the fault - the person on the phone didn't even try to fob me off. :rolleyes: Well the end of the tale was that my connection signal was too strong, I had my modem replaced & a 10db attenuator put on like I had on my older modem before one was being replaced.

But still my internet speed isn't still as it once was from back then when I started to have 20mb conection. I'm am thinking about an another upgrade to 50mb as I got few items connected to my network these days :dunce:

Have fun Delta Whiskey (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/43.html) & other virgin media (Swansea) users out there :angel:

Peter_
06-03-2010, 14:31
I phoned up, the fault - the person on the phone didn't even try to fob me off. :rolleyes: Well the end of the tale was that my connection signal was too strong, I had my modem replaced & a 10db attenuator put on like I had on my older modem before one was being replaced.

The modem will not have been at fault if they fitted a 10db attenuator, more likely the issue is in the cabinet and all the engineer needed to do was adjust the power accordingly.

You need another tech to sort out the job properly.

toonlight
06-03-2010, 15:06
The modem will not have been at fault if they fitted a 10db attenuator, more likely the issue is in the cabinet and all the engineer needed to do was adjust the power accordingly.

Thanks for the input
Moldova (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/56146.html)
Virginmedia Staff member

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/avatars/56146.gif?dateline=1263247217 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/56146.html)

frabe
06-03-2010, 23:33
any virgin media staff aware of an ongoing problem in Swansea? or if theres a date for the techs to fix the cab box on brunswick street?

Welshchris
07-03-2010, 03:47
frabe post a question on the newsgroups. I used to live quite near Brunswick street in Victoria Terrace and used to have major over utilization issues because of students thrashing network.

---------- Post added at 03:47 ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 ----------

High power can also be caused by network. After my 50mb was sorted for the last time the tech couldnt get my downstream power levels any lower than 7dBmv even by adjusting it in the cab and he ended up having to fit a 6dBmb attenuator and he rang a network engineer who u know of on this site in swansea and u have spoken to him before and he said that it was network that had high power levels.

EMI
11-03-2010, 17:25
im in SA2 and having this problem too we had it before and they gave us a new modem it worked for a while but he said if it happens again they need to replace the box in the wall. its really annoying sometimes it works fine someitmes it doesnt.

Welshchris
11-03-2010, 22:34
EMI post ur modem power levels and see if we can help...

U can do this by going into ur browser and typing..

Put the downstream and upstream power levels on here..

There has been a few outages over the past few weeks in Swansea causing havock.

One on the 4th which affected SA1, SA2 and SA3 areas which was off for about 9hrs..

and then one on the morning of Tuesday the 9th it went off around 1:04am according to modem log but this one was planned maintenance.

EMI
12-03-2010, 11:31
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 3
Downstream Frequency : 331000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 3.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

im suposed to be on the 10mb. its been happening for days for me but never for as long as 9 hours.

Welshchris
12-03-2010, 13:28
ur upstream power is a little high.

Contact Tech support and they will arrange a tech to come out and lower it for u.