PDA

View Full Version : The 'Activation' Fee

apb27
04-03-2010, 21:58
Just rang up and was quoted £55 for install and activation.

The install is fine because need the modem to be moved to
another room, and the box outside needs to be tinkered with
too when upgrading to 50mb so its understandable.

But i refused to pay the activation fee. Argued for a bit before
the guy saying he couldn't do anything so just ended it there.

About 2 mins after i hung up got another call from an
0800 number, i think it was Virgin again but im not sure.
Thing is i couldn't get to the phone, used 1471.

Do virgin call you back and say ok we can get rid of
the fee for you or am i just imagining things?

Ben B
04-03-2010, 22:05
Did you try ringing it back. Yes they sometimes do

apb27
04-03-2010, 22:08
Did you try ringing it back. Yes they sometimes do

Cool, i was nearly about to say oh ok then just charge it but
glad i stuck it out. Hoping they will get rid of all the fees.

No im going to try tomorrow. But thanks for the info.

Rik
04-03-2010, 23:22
All I can say is..................................

Upgrade to 50Mb as soon as u can its bloomin terrific :D

broadbandking
05-03-2010, 20:56
Just rang up and was quoted £55 for install and activation.

The install is fine because need the modem to be moved to
another room, and the box outside needs to be tinkered with
too when upgrading to 50mb so its understandable.

But i refused to pay the activation fee. Argued for a bit before
the guy saying he couldn't do anything so just ended it there.

About 2 mins after i hung up got another call from an
0800 number, i think it was Virgin again but im not sure.
Thing is i couldn't get to the phone, used 1471.

Do virgin call you back and say ok we can get rid of
the fee for you or am i just imagining things?

Its simple really you want 50Mb you pay for it, I am sick of people moaning about the fee its there and is staying atleast for a while, you can't get everything for cheap, why won't people pay the price instead of arguing with poor folk on the phone.

apb27
05-03-2010, 21:10
Its simple really you want 50Mb you pay for it, I am sick of people moaning about the fee its there and is staying atleast for a while, you can't get everything for cheap, why won't people pay the price instead of arguing with poor folk on the phone.

Well i just got off the phone and they waived the install fee of £30, only had to pay the £25 activation.

As for your comments, they are quite stupid. If you can save money then why not? You are paying virgin each month for 50mb, the extra fees are just so VM can squeeze more cash out of you.

The customer service people are there to do their job, i didnt insult him or anything just haggled a bit. In the end it paid off.

die5el
06-03-2010, 02:54
Its simple really you want 50Mb you pay for it, I am sick of people moaning about the fee its there and is staying atleast for a while, you can't get everything for cheap, why won't people pay the price instead of arguing with poor folk on the phone.Well said broadbandking :clap:

Milambar
06-03-2010, 12:24

Its called haggling, and is actually the NORMAL and EXPECTED method of doing business in a huge range of countries. In my opinion, the fact that haggling seems abnormal in the UK, is the reason companies get to shaft us, because we never challenge the price.

I always haggle for large goods (freezers, TV's, etc), and have never yet failed to get at least £20 off the listed value for goods over £100. It helps to be paying cash. Not tried haggling for a service yet.

Some companies have tried to tell me that haggling is illegal (its not). They have caved in the end too. In the end, we both get what we want. They get my money, and I get a cheaper price. Whats the harm in that?

Ignitionnet
06-03-2010, 12:42
I always haggle for large goods (freezers, TV's, etc), and have never yet failed to get at least £20 off the listed value for goods over £100. It helps to be paying cash. Not tried haggling for a service yet.

I just find buying online after a few minutes on Google a less time consuming way of saving money on the listed price to be honest. The whole 'paying cash' or 'x price for cash' mentality is nearly as outdated as cash unless selling / buying privately or off the books.

Peter_
06-03-2010, 14:20

Some companies have tried to tell me that haggling is illegal (its not). They have caved in the end too. In the end, we both get what we want. They get my money, and I get a cheaper price. Whats the harm in that?
All I do is find the item that we need go and check it out in a store and if its the one we want Icome home and google the model number, and we find that a £20 discount is nothing.

We got our dishwasher for £100 less online than the store price with free delivery, my daughters TV from Amazon was over £60 cheaper again with with free delivery.

The list goes on, the days of getting a better deal for waving cash at a salesman are gone, they will happily reduce by £20 in the knowledge that they are still turning a healthy profit.

Go online young man and save some real cash.:D

chriscling
09-03-2010, 20:28
All I can say is..................................

Upgrade to 50Mb as soon as u can its bloomin terrific :D

woah thats terrific,
im giving them a call in a minute (if lines still open)
been waiting to upgrade for a while, seen the 2 months half price offer online,
50mb here i come... :)
anyone heard any feedback on how good it is for online gaming?

broadbandking
09-03-2010, 21:39
woah thats terrific,
im giving them a call in a minute (if lines still open)
been waiting to upgrade for a while, seen the 2 months half price offer online,
50mb here i come... :)
anyone heard any feedback on how good it is for online gaming?

I never had a issue gaming always top notch on my 50Mb connection.

---------- Post added at 21:39 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

Its called haggling, and is actually the NORMAL and EXPECTED method of doing business in a huge range of countries. In my opinion, the fact that haggling seems abnormal in the UK, is the reason companies get to shaft us, because we never challenge the price.

It must be me but if you can't afford it then you don't have it.

calmpitbull
10-03-2010, 20:22
Haggling is ok in other countries where prices are inflated. Here in the UK prices are already stripped down to bare bones so there just isn't really room for haggling. That is why its abnormal.

In other countries in Europe and Asia its all small business with big profit margins so they can afford to shift on price a bit.

colin25
10-03-2010, 20:24
I am a fan of haggling

I can't tell you the number of hags I've gone home with :)

Tony.
10-03-2010, 21:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA :D

REM
11-03-2010, 23:02
Its called haggling, and is actually the NORMAL and EXPECTED method of doing business in a huge range of countries.

Disease and terrible poverty are normal in a huge range of countries too. We pay a premium to live in England and be (mostly) free from those things.

If you start adopting every foreign thing that takes your fancy we'll end up like every other third world country.

Be proud to be British and pay the asking price and enjoy the benefits.