PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router

Twilight Zone
04-03-2010, 12:49
Hi,

I have a netgear WGR614 v5 router that was purchased through telewest (as was) and has worked fine for the last five years. Recently, it has been dropping the Internet connection whilst still showing a strong wireless signal and only turning it off and on rectifies the problem.

No worries I thought, Virgin will send me 1 free of charge as I havent had one from them before and as an existing customer I should be entilted to it as if i was a new customer taking my level of service.

Unfortuntately they want to charge me a 1 off payment of £50 for a new router or upgrade my Internet to qualify.

has anyone else managed to get a free wireless router while not changing any levels of service or am I wasting my time here? If so, does anyone have any tips on how to convince them I qualify :)
Cheers

TZ

pabscars
04-03-2010, 13:15
The only time I've received free ones, is when I first subscribed to the 20Mbps package, then when I upgraded to 50Mbps, and then when the free 50 Mbps router was giving me trouble another free one was dispatched.

So in Total 3 routers for free but not in the same way you had hoped,

I wouldnt pay £50 for a router supplied by VM though as Ive had them all and don't rate them very highly

I,m no expert by any means so take my advice with a pinch :)

Twilight Zone
04-03-2010, 15:06
If the VM ones are rubbish anyway can anyone recommend a cheap good one? I've never had any problems with the Netgear until now even when working in the attic with the router downstairs.

Any help greatfully received.

Cheers
TZ

djmagnifique
04-03-2010, 16:05
I got a free router from virgin. I am on the vip package, when I signed up to it they didn't provide routers, a year later they did. I sent a nicely worded email to the complaints team via the virgin website stating that I had no upgrade path (which at the time I didn't as 50mb wasn't available then) and they sent me one out.

*sloman*
04-03-2010, 18:10
I'm on my 2nd netgear wrn2000 from VM the fuse went on the first one within a couple of weeks, and the plug is sealed so called up and they sent me a new one free of charge.

I am 50mb customer though

DC_FC79
05-03-2010, 15:13
I managed to get a free router form virgin, we are on the 10mb package, we payed the postage for it which was £7.50. I had a similar issue to you OP re the connection dropping and it turns out a new modem was required.

Twilight Zone
05-03-2010, 18:18
Well praise is due to VM on this occaision. At 2:00 I posted a comment on their website outlining my telephone conversation with 'Mark' and how disappointed I was that it seemed like I wasn't entitled to a free router unlike a new customer.

Within 30 minutes I had been telephoned direct by 'Craig' who said that they had reviewed the decision and as I was a long standing customer it only seemed fair that I should receive a free router to help with my connection problems. He has emailed me to say:

As promised in our earlier conversation, if you have any further issues
with your broadband service, please do not hesitate to contact me on.

I am available between 10am to 5pm Mondays to Fridays.

Your details will be taken and I can call you back to save the cost of
the call.

Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

All I can say well done VM - Customer Service at its best

TZ

saabmania2
05-03-2010, 18:49
there we go, it just goes to show there is some nice people working in VM customers services :-) mind you most of them seem to be registered on this forum ;)

Twilight Zone
10-03-2010, 13:38
The router arrived the day after I posted the message on the website.

Phoned on Thursday - got told no
Posted message on website Friday
Phone call from agent on Friday
Router arrived Saturday morning

:clap: how good is that

djmagnifique
10-03-2010, 15:42
Which model of router did you recieve?

Twilight Zone
11-03-2010, 08:18
It's a D-link DIR-615 n router.

Set up was easy and I have not experienced any drop outs as yet [touch wood]

saabmania2
11-03-2010, 08:45
glad you got sorted :) that's more than i was able to get out of virgin when i tried, but i wasn't that bothered anyway good to hear you had a result and it seems to have sorted your dropout problem :)