PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

whitewineandsoda
03-03-2010, 17:37
Hi, sorry if this sounds silly, but on my V+ box the green light at the front is continually lit, the one that says online, should it do this even when my laptop is switched off? Also is it possible for anyone to access from my wireless router? The reason I ask is that the lights flash even when laptop is switched off. I'm not PC savvy (you probably guessed) but I vaguely recall hearing something about a pin or a password for the wireless router, but not sure. TIA, WWAS.

Kymmy
03-03-2010, 17:39
The modem (I presume it's not a V+ TV box you;re talking about) has an always on connection when powered up.. just because the green light is on doesn't mean to say that the connection is passing data

whitewineandsoda
03-03-2010, 18:38
Thanks for the reply Kimmy, but it was the V+ box I meant. Also the green lights that are flashing are on the modem and the wireless router.

on in an hour!
03-03-2010, 18:42
the 'online' light will be lit constantly on your V+ box,this has nothing to do with your internet,it simply means your set top is connected to VM's interactive/ondemand servers.if youre worried about your router you need to go into the security settings on it and set a network key (password).if your unduly worried turn off your router and modem when not using your laptop ;)

joglynne
03-03-2010, 18:43
The V+ green light has little, if no, connection to your BB connection it merely shows that your V+ is on.

The green lights flashing on your modem and router just show that they are working. Ignore them unless there is something wrong with your connection.

Beaten to it by on in an hour. Must learn to type faster. :D

whitewineandsoda
03-03-2010, 19:32
Thankyou for all the replies. I feel much better now I know that it's normal. Wouldn't dare turn the modem or router of, wouldn't it need redoing? Told you I didn't have a clue lol. Thanks again, WWAS.

Halcyon
03-03-2010, 20:50
If power goes like in a power cut or you unplug one of the devices don't worry.
Just turn them on in the following order and all will be fine.

1. Turn on modem. Wait 30 seconds.

2. Turn on Router. Wait 30 seconds.

3. Turn on your computers.

Done.

whitewineandsoda
03-03-2010, 21:18
Thankyou so much for that Halcyon. I've written it down so I will have it handy if I should ever need it. WWAS.