PDA

View Full Version : A beginner's question; am I getting the right broadband speed?

jamesg1234
02-03-2010, 22:45
Hey Guys

I just have a quick question. I know little about computers so bear with me.

I have an Imac OS 10.5.8 and Virgin Broadband connected by ethernet cable. Safari browser.

Originally I had the real basic package of 2MB broadband but when that was phased out was upgraded to 10MB. What I would like to know is what download and upload speeds should I expect with 10MB?

Speedtests with speedtest.net reveal download speed of 2.06mb/s, upload of 0.24mb/s and ping? of 9ms. Speed.io reveals downloads of 2064kb/s upload of 251kb/s.

I have no idea if this is fast, slow or average or whether with 10Mb I should be getting faster speeds. When I asked Virgin they said they thought I should be faster but that I should check the speeds in "safe mode" to see if they were the same. (they were)

What do you think? Are the speeds about what I should expect for 10MB broadband? If not, is there anything I should do on the IMac as Virgin suggested to tinker with its settings or is it more likely something for them to sort out at their end with a new modem etc??

I ask as I like watching Basketball online and wasn't sure if I was getting the best possible connection speed. If I am I might think about upgrading to 20Mb or higher to get the better picture quality.

Cheers guys for any help.

Sephiroth
02-03-2010, 22:51
This is an opinion based on reading thoudands of posts on this forum (and answering quite a few).

In non-peak hours, you'd get 10 Mbps/0.5 Mbps if nothing was wrong with your particular circuit.

In peak hours c. 16:00 to midnight, anything goes depending on your local user profile.

Look at other threads and you'll see that modem stats and pathping tests published here would result in an opinion as to whether there was a circuit or modem problem.

Matth
02-03-2010, 23:31
Check the modem
http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp
User/pass is root root - or maybe root 1234

If it shows:
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10242000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 514000

Then you have the 10mbit config, and just rotten throughput, anything else, and it looks like you didn't get the M-10 upgrade.

broadbandking
02-03-2010, 23:40
If you havn't got the upgrade you need to ring em, its easily changed.

jamesg1234
03-03-2010, 19:41
Hey Guys

Further to my last post, I contacted Virgin at 7pm on my return to work, to discuss my 10mb broadband effectively still only being 2mb. (My speed test shows repeatedly download speeds of 2.05mb/s).

The call centre employee (abroad in India I think) confirmed my speed was wrong but did not seem to have a clue how to fix things. Her computer said I should have 10mb, but she agreed the speed was off.

I was kept on hold repeatedly, and the phone kept cutting in and out so it was extremely difficult to speak to her. To make matters worse she then told me there was no Imac OS 10.5.8 and cut me off!

Is there no way in which I can speak to someone in England?

Or just have an engineer come out and fix things? Another member said it would be really easy for VM to rectify the problem, but that was not my experience.

How do I make a complaint that will be dealt with!?

I'm sorry to be ranting, but I'm paying for something I'm not getting and I work so I cannot just call in the day, and when I call in the evening or at the weekend, get passed to said call centre who I have no confidence in. Surely there's an easy way for VM to fix this?

Thanks guys.

pip08456
03-03-2010, 19:48
Opening a new thread for the same problem is not really the way to go. You would be better posting this in your original thread where people may be waiting for an update to further help you.

I know nothing about imac so can'r be of help but ever thought of the 2nd line support on newsgroups?

MovedGoalPosts
03-03-2010, 20:37
Thread's merged. No need for two on the same issue thanks.

Can you tell us what the modem settings are saying if you try what Matth said above? What happens if you power the modem off for say a minute and reboot. Does that change the speed?

Have you tried calling support again. I'm afraid they do seem to be very hit and miss with their abilities and response.

jamesg1234
03-03-2010, 22:06
Hey Guys

This is the first time I have used a forum before so I apologize if my last post should have been in this thread.

In response to Rob and Matth's posts, I have tried rebooting the modem which unfortunately does not change anything.

In terms of the link Matth gave my
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 0
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 0
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 0

which I'm guessing can't be right?

Under the sub-heading downstream there were lots of different headings downstream frequency, modulation, symbol rate, interleave depth etc. I don't know what any of that means!, but if there's anything you can suggest or further info. you need I'll look it up and come back to you.

Interestingly in the cable modem event log there is reference yesterday to 'CableModem software upgrade failed' also.

MovedGoalPosts
03-03-2010, 22:17
OK you do need to try calling support again, and will need to be near you modem when you do so. They probably need to resend the configuration files again and may need you to reboot.

As for your computer type and operating system, that shouldn't matter a jot. You have a connection to the modem, and internet via Virgin Media, you are able to log into the modem. Simply put don't worry about the OS. If they say go to "Internet Explorer", just think that is "safari".