PDA

View Full Version : PID & Stb connection?

saabmania2
02-03-2010, 21:19
hi,
can anyone tell me if i'm correct?
just been around my sister inlaws as she was having problems connecting to the internet, found out it was the wireless usb (belkin) adaptor that was at fault, so i tried to connect her via the cable direct from the stb but it just asked for the PID and password on the old ntl screen and she didn't know the number.

anyway i told her to ring customer services as she should have a seperate modem, by doing that will she no longer need the PID number?? as i think these are link to the STB

also on her bill it still shows as 1mb internet and she says that was about all she ever got, could that be the case?? or is that impossable and it's her old equipment that is causing problems

Any advise would be greatful :)

Ben B
02-03-2010, 21:25
As connection via STB is no longer supported, I doubt they'd be able to give her the PID code anymore due to changes of systems etc. unless she has her original documentation. So yes she should get a separate modem sent - ensure it is the quickstart kit that comes with the splitters etc. and then activate it over the phone. Once activated, she will no longer need the PID and password when changing devices, just the need to turn the modem off when changing devices. :)

saabmania2
02-03-2010, 21:54
ok thanks,
they are sending an engineer out to sort it just got off the phone and they are sending a modem out by post and are going to send an engineer to fit it :-) saves me a job happy days

but it's good news about the PID as that was always a pain in the rear:(

but thanks for your help it's always good to check

saabmania2
03-03-2010, 19:10
also they said to her that she was still on the 1mb service and asked for £1 extra per month to upgrade her?? i would have thought she should have had an automatic upgrade to the 2mb service then the 10mb service?? personally i would have questioned why i was paying so much for a 1mb service and not been upgraded automaticaly and would have asked for a partial refund for lack of services

Ben B
03-03-2010, 19:15
This seems very odd, as the 1mb service was discontinued ages ago, like you said it went to 2mb then 10mb

Peter_
03-03-2010, 19:44
Not for Set Top Boxes as that will be the package that was sold with the STB and would not have qualified for the free speed increase, that is why you now need a modem.;)

The are still people on 500kb out there.;)

Ben B
03-03-2010, 19:51
Not for Set Top Boxes as that will be the package that was sold with the STB and would not have qualified for the free speed increase, that is why you now need a modem.;)

I got the 2mb speed increase when I had STB BB though

Peter_
03-03-2010, 19:55
I got the 2mb speed increase when I had STB BB though
Depends on what package you were on and possibly even if previously NTL or Telewest.;)

Ben B
03-03-2010, 19:58
NTL like the OP's sister in law, went from 150k to 300k to 1mb to 2mb to 10mb and then paid to upgrade to 20mb eventually

Peter_
03-03-2010, 20:02
NTL like the OP's sister in law, went from 150k to 300k to 1mb to 2mb to 10mb and then paid to upgrade to 20mb eventually
No STB has ever been capable of 10Mb so by default you should get a modem but that does not happen in most cases.

We only deal with the account as it stands but if you lose connection we then transfer them to Customer Services for a manned install or quickstart kit and often a upgrade or reduction on the package.

Ben B
03-03-2010, 20:06
Ah I moved and was on 2mb on STB and then when I moved was on 2mb on modem and then it all upgraded to 10mb then 20mb

Peter_
03-03-2010, 20:07
Ah I moved and was on 2mb on STB and then when I moved was on 2mb on modem and then it all upgraded to 10mb then 20mb
Your upgrade would have been painless then, many others are not so lucky.

saabmania2
03-03-2010, 20:08

Lol!!! do they pop out of there cave and connect via Pterosaur toe nails :D

Peter_
03-03-2010, 20:13
Lol!!! do they pop out of there cave and connect via Pterosaur toe nails :D
Probably just use it for email and light browsing .

saabmania2
04-03-2010, 06:45
thanks for your help Moldova, i don't think she was worried about not being upgraded or even noticed for that matter lol!! and i think that's all she uses her connection for, but at least it's being sorted now :-)