PDA

View Full Version : DSi Internet Browsing-HELP!!!

Flyboy
01-03-2010, 18:16
Flyboy8 has changed his name to Flyboy9 and to celebrate, he bought a slightly used DSi, from a local gaming store, for ninety-five pounds. The trouble I am having, is trying to download the browser from the DSi shop. I have looked at a few demonstration videos on Youtube, but they all say that there should be a "WEB" icon on the screen, but his console doesn't show this. Does anybody have any ideas?

martyh
01-03-2010, 18:57
Flyboy8 has changed his name to Flyboy9 and to celebrate, he bought a slightly used DSi, from a local gaming store, for ninety-five pounds. The trouble I am having, is trying to download the browser from the DSi shop. I have looked at a few demonstration videos on Youtube, but they all say that there should be a "WEB" icon on the screen, but his console doesn't show this. Does anybody have any ideas?

i think what has happened is that the shop has returned the DSi to factory condition prior to re-sell .this would mean that you would need to download the browser and other apps from the DSi shop

To get the browser, click on DSi Shop> Start Shopping>DSi Ware>Free>Internet Browser

assuming your DSi is connected ok

Flyboy
01-03-2010, 21:51
Excellent. Thanks Martyh. I am impressed, I particularly like the dual screen aspect. I was expecting something like a low grade smart phone experience. But it is faster than I expected. It does have its limitations though. But for the uses he will it to I think it is quite adequate.

candy1567
01-03-2010, 21:55
Hiya

You can get an R4i for the DSI which i a memory card with software on it which allows u to download films and music

wat i use it for is to download games (roms) from sites like homebrew, its very good

google R4i, think mine cost me £17 and its drag and drop

martyh
01-03-2010, 21:57
Excellent. Thanks Martyh. I am impressed, I particularly like the dual screen aspect. I was expecting something like a low grade smart phone experience. But it is faster than I expected. It does have its limitations though. But for the uses he will it to I think it is quite adequate.

good ,got it sorted then ? it was the main complaint with the earlier DSi's that the browser wasn't part of the firmware in later versions it is already there and doesn't need to be downloaded

tell Flyboy 9 to enjoy :tu:

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

Hiya

You can get an R4i for the DSI which i a memory card with software on it which allows u to download films and music

wat i use it for is to download games (roms) from sites like homebrew, its very good

yep thats what my son does and would be lost without it

xpod
01-03-2010, 22:06
Me thinks this thread is getting very close to that line, not that we dont have R4/i`s & Homebrew channels galore but still..... :angel:

Flyboy
01-03-2010, 22:08
Hiya

I am very wary of setting wrong examples to my children. Is this card legal to use?

martyh
01-03-2010, 22:12
I am very wary of setting wrong examples to my children. Is this card legal to use?

yes ,it's basically an adapter that allows you expand the memory ,move files from your pc to the DS ...of course what you put on it is up to you ;)

http://www.r4i.co.uk/r4_cards/nintendo_dsi/r4i

xpod
01-03-2010, 22:33

It depends what your using the card for.
They can be used for illegal purposes, a bit like a P2P app can be used for illegal purposes. Just like the P2P app though there`s also plenty legitimate reasons for using them.

candy1567
02-03-2010, 10:53
i use it mainly for storage due to long car journeys, its invaluable to keep the little ppl quiet, i put cartoons, movie and songs on it usually

others use it for different reasons and am sure i cant comment on here;)

Flyboy
02-03-2010, 20:57
It depends what your using the card for.
They can be used for illegal purposes, a bit like a P2P app can be used for illegal purposes. Just like the P2P app though there`s also plenty legitimate reasons for using them.

Okay, to be more specific, is it legal to use it to download games for the DSi, from Nintendo?

martyh
02-03-2010, 21:08
Okay, to be more specific, is it legal to use it to download games for the DSi, from Nintendo?

An R4 adapter is an adapter for the nintendo DS. It is a nintendo ds cartridge that holds a micro sd card. The point of it is to play downloaded games that you put on the micro SD card. Through this you can also watch movies and listen to music but the main point of it is to play downloaded games!

perfectly legal as long as the game/video/music is not pirated and downloaded legally

Flyboy
02-03-2010, 21:48
I kind of understand, but I have been hearing conflicting opinions. Some say that the card can be used to download games for free, that would normally have to be paid for, is this true and if so is that legal?

martyh
02-03-2010, 22:03
I kind of understand, but I have been hearing conflicting opinions. Some say that the card can be used to download games for free, that would normally have to be paid for, is this true and if so is that legal?

basically you can go to some sites The Pirate bay is one example and download a pirate copy of a game to your pc then transfer to the sd card and using the r4 adapter plug into the nintendo =ILEGAL not because the r4 is illegal but the content is you could just as easily use the sd card and r4 adapter to backup legally bought games from nintendo onto your pc

you can transfer photos or legitimate games/photos/films ect onto the sd card and again using the r4 adapter in the same manner plug into the nintendo and view =LEGAL

Flyboy
09-05-2010, 19:59
Hi everybody again

Is there a flash player app for the DSi?

martyh
09-05-2010, 20:05
Hi everybody again

Is there a flash player app for the DSi?

you can dl flash player onto a sd card and insert into the dsi ,has your dsi got its own sd holder or are you using the r4 connection

scratch that just double checked and adobe haven't released a version compatible yet there is supposed to be a way of using the sd card but i can't verify that so i would'nt try it

Flyboy
09-05-2010, 20:08
It has an SD slot. Don't know what an R4 is, I'm afraid. If I download it onto a card, is it legal and/or safe?

martyh
09-05-2010, 20:11
just edited my post FB and it's not possible sorry

Flyboy
09-05-2010, 20:15
Thanks Marty, it was worth a try. Both Flyboy9 and Flyboy11 now have DSis and are over the moon with them. It is a shame that the games are so damned expensive. They don't get a great amount of pocket money, so are having to rely on birthdays etc. to get more. But I suppose it gives them an incentive to work harder at school etc.

martyh
09-05-2010, 20:23
Thanks Marty, it was worth a try. Both Flyboy9 and Flyboy11 now have DSis and are over the moon with them. It is a shame that the games are so damned expensive. They don't get a great amount of pocket money, so are having to rely on birthdays etc. to get more. But I suppose it gives them an incentive to work harder at school etc.

the DSi menu can't handle flash and at the moment i don't think there are any plans for making it available
as i said there are loads of "fixes" which are rumoured to work but it involves slightly iffy practices using chipped (illegal)consoles or the r4 /sd card but as i say none can be verified so wouldn't reccomend you try it on your sons consoles as it may result in a shiny new paperweight for their homework ;)
on the positive side they won't be able to watch utube videos:)