PDA

View Full Version : Broadband connection woes

jamie_ps13
01-03-2010, 02:34
Hi, right we have an old Samsung 2100c stb. It was originally connected to a PC then a while later I connected it to a Belkin wireless router. I'm pretty sure all I did was copy mac address and it worked. But it was years ago.
Now tonight I decided to move router. I unplugged all ethernet cables and ran router directly from stb as opposed to via wall socket. But since doing that I have lost internet connection. Would not connect. I even tried running it straight via ethernet to pc. Nothing. Reset stb etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

MovedGoalPosts
01-03-2010, 09:32
I'd suggest you contact Virgin Media. Broadband via Set Top Box is now a legacy setup. Wherever possible Virgin Media would migrate you to a SACM (Stand Alone Cable Modem). they tend to provide a more reliable connection, and certainly a faster connection is on offer, probably for similar sums that you already pay.

It's been some time since I had broadband via STB. It used to be a case of turn off the the STB, swap over the connected device, and when you boot them up, on attempting to browse you would be redirected to a registration screen. However I too had problems with that a few years ago now and the move to SACM was the only way out.

Peter_
01-03-2010, 09:43
You will need to call up and get a SACM installed as we no longer provide broadband via a STB and also you will be on 10Mb which your STB is not capable of providing.

You will need to call Customer Services to get an install booked or possibly a modem Quickstart package, so call 150 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

jamie_ps13
01-03-2010, 09:44
From what info I have found it seems it could be down to MAC address virgin have. but I'm sure its hardware related as opposed to software. I unplugged both stb and router etc. but nothing.

Peter_
01-03-2010, 09:47
From what info I have found it seems it could be down to MAC address virgin have. but I'm sure its hardware related as opposed to software. I unplugged both stb and router etc. but nothing.
We no longer have provisioning codes for STB's so it may not work any more and you really do need a SACM as even if you call Faults they will probably end up passing you to Customer Services for a SACM.

I should know have a look below my avatar and the signature below.;)

jamie_ps13
01-03-2010, 09:48
is the modem free?

Peter_
01-03-2010, 09:49
is the modem free?
Yes all modems and set top boxes are free, and if you need a manned install that will be free as well.:)

jamie_ps13
01-03-2010, 10:43
thanks. I posted that before your post came up. ill get the home owner on to them. I assume its pretty simple to install? I'm pretty competant with routers etc.

Peter_
01-03-2010, 11:00
thanks. I posted that before your post came up. ill get the home owner on to them. I assume its pretty simple to install? I'm pretty competant with routers etc.
If they do a Quickstart pack it will be a simple swap over and a call to be activated.

Get them to ask about getting a free router as well and ask about any discounts.;)

jamie_ps13
03-03-2010, 09:15
Spoke to virgin on monday. They wanted to charge £30 for router. Declined this but they did say they would send out a modem.
Now yesterday we recieved a Netgear USB wireless dongle. Now will the modem follow today or was the wrong item sent out? If so ill get a call made.
Thanks

Kymmy
03-03-2010, 09:22
The dongle goes with the routers, so definately the wrong item.. The modem itself is ethernet based and not wireless

Peter_
03-03-2010, 14:41
Spoke to virgin on monday. They wanted to charge £30 for router. Declined this but they did say they would send out a modem.
Now yesterday we recieved a Netgear USB wireless dongle. Now will the modem follow today or was the wrong item sent out? If so ill get a call made.
Thanks
£30 is the price of a D Link USB N wireless adaptor, so it sounds like they have sent out the wrong item.

jamie_ps13
03-03-2010, 15:37
Yeh thats what we got. Bugger.....