PDA

View Full Version : Download unusable while uploading on 50meg

dd11
01-03-2010, 01:32
I've been happy with 50meg since i got it a while ago and i've not had, nor do i at present any speed/reliability issues with it, however...

I often ftp large files from my home server (on 50meg) to my work pc, but whenever im out doing this, my internet connection back at home becomes totally unusable for other people, even a simple website like google takes perhaps a minute to load.
I've since tried using my connection when back at home while uploading either to facebook or just seeding torrents etc and I can't load websites atall sometimes. It's usually quicker to use my mobiles internet. The moment i stop the upload, the download speed is perfect again.

I do get a great 45-49meg down 1.59mb up most of the time, so it's not a total drama as i just max out the upload speed overnight when no ones using the net, but it just gets a bit annoying not being able to do both at the same time. I've only noticed this nowdays as i upload alot more.

Is this just "how it is" or is there more to it? Thanks :)

darren.b
01-03-2010, 01:50
That's how it is. When you download, you have to send ACK packets back to whoever you are downloading from to let them know you got the "chunk" fine and dandy. This uses your upstream, and currently on my 20Mb pipe it needs 62KB/s for a 2.5MB/s download just for ACK packets. Approx 67% of the upstream just for return packets alone. The 50Mb up/down ration is even worse.

If you max your upload out, there's no space for those ACK packets to be sent so your downloads run sloooow.

Throttle your uploads to about 80% of its top speed and it should give you some decent download speeds.

On a symmetrical connection this isn't really an issue due to the small amount of space required for ACK's, but as we know VM's broadband is almost one way. Huge down pipe, tiny up pipe. Yay VM!

Welshchris
01-03-2010, 02:07
Also what u might find is on 50mb if u max out ur 50mb for any given length of time and also try and use download the modem may reboot.

Graham M
01-03-2010, 08:54
If you want to continue to be able to download normally while uploading, you might want to try a program such as Bandwidth limiter to limit the upload of the particular piece of software

dd11
01-03-2010, 09:14
Thanks for the replys, I didn't think doing both at the same time would be a problem using fibre optic.

I may try to limit the upload slightly when transfering data with ftp, which I believe I can do with the ftp client. Just ashame as the VM upload speed is slow enough as it is tbh, but thats a story for another day :)

Graham M
01-03-2010, 09:21
Thanks for the replys, I didn't think doing both at the same time would be a problem using fibre optic.

I may try to limit the upload slightly when transfering data with ftp, which I believe I can do with the ftp client. Just ashame as the VM upload speed is slow enough as it is tbh, but thats a story for another day :)

But you're not using Fibre Optic ;)

dd11
01-03-2010, 10:22

Well it comes close enough.

Rik
01-03-2010, 10:41

Thats not what Mr Branston told us all! lol ;)