PDA

View Full Version : Pre-50MB Questions

apb27
01-03-2010, 00:43
Hello, some questions for you. :dunce:

1. When installing 50mb (up from 20mb) can you ask the engineer to move the existing installation to another room, or just install the new connection and just d/c or leave the old one as it is?

2. Is there any charge for the above

3. What brand of router/adapter do VM supply you with for free.

4. Having been with Virgin since Telewest days, do you think i could get a good discount, has anybody managed to get a deal? Maybe a couple of quid off or no activation fee.

5. Thanks :)

BenMcr
01-03-2010, 00:48
1) Should be able to

2) As you are paying for the installation anyway no there shouldn't be

3) Dlink DIR-615 and Dlink 'N' adapter

4) Phone them and see - but don't be disappointed if there isn't

Rik
01-03-2010, 10:38
6. Provided you are in a non congested area, its very good :D

broadbandking
01-03-2010, 22:45
I haven't seen many congested areas with 50Mb, I may be mistaken but due the uptake in 50Mb not been huge I doubt there is much congestion really.

Ignitionnet
01-03-2010, 22:50
I haven't seen many congested areas with 50Mb, I may be mistaken but due the uptake in 50Mb not been huge I doubt there is much congestion really.

You've evidently not been paying attention. The upstream load balancing has been a total cluster-**** and has been reflected in the number of downstream bonded groups with one or more congested upstreams.

There are a shitload of these congested ports. Even looking at my own boring, affluent area the upstreams vary from 6 to 130 modems online on each upstream. OK if it weren't for that the upstreams max out at about 9Mbps, not great at 768kbps per 20Mbit modem and 1.75Mbit per 50Mbit modem ignoring all the 10Mbit modems shunted across for capacity relief on downstream of the legacy network..

Basically the huge spike in upstream congestion issues tells the story about what a total *******s up the overlay network's upstream provisioning has been.

broadbandking
01-03-2010, 23:37
I did wonder how long it would take for a post from you lol.

Welshchris
01-03-2010, 23:49
You've evidently not been paying attention. The upstream load balancing has been a total cluster-**** and has been reflected in the number of downstream bonded groups with one or more congested upstreams.

There are a shitload of these congested ports. Even looking at my own boring, affluent area the upstreams vary from 6 to 130 modems online on each upstream. OK if it weren't for that the upstreams max out at about 9Mbps, not great at 768kbps per 20Mbit modem and 1.75Mbit per 50Mbit modem ignoring all the 10Mbit modems shunted across for capacity relief on downstream of the legacy network..

Basically the huge spike in upstream congestion issues tells the story about what a total *******s up the overlay network's upstream provisioning has been.

Theres problems here in Swansea again with 50mb where its affecting some of the downstreams as there r high loads on them. Apparently its being monitored.

Ignitionnet
02-03-2010, 00:05
I did wonder how long it would take for a post from you lol.

Just stating what is being observed network wide with the balls up that is the overlay network's capacity planning.

---------- Post added at 00:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

Theres problems here in Swansea again with 50mb where its affecting some of the downstreams as there r high loads on them. Apparently its being monitored.

No, downstream is irrelevant and please type something approaching English featuring such letters as A and E when stating that there 'are' high loads on CMTS cards.

Welshchris
02-03-2010, 00:09
o k ... s o e :-)