PDA

View Full Version : Setting up 2820n with Virgin Broadband

nilz38
27-02-2010, 14:16
I am trying to set up the 2820n with Virgin broad band (50MB fibre which has a modem), after researching I found that this router does both Modem and DSL connection. I have used the wizard on the start up screen and picked Static IP address, as everything else seems to come up with a ADSL connection asking for username and passwords, I have filled in the relevant info, which include

static IP address, which I have got from the modem
MAC address which I got from the modem
DNS retrieved from the modem
Gateway retrieved from Modem

I have managed to get a LAN connection which I am only getting 17MB download but get no connection on the wireless part, even though it is enabled. If I plug directly into the Modem I get 47MB download, I know this router is capable of 50MB through put, as confirmed from your web site and confirmed from your retailer " Broadbandbuyer".

I am currently using a bog standard Dlink which seems to work no problems, the whole Idea of this router 2820n was to increase the wireless range of the "N" series and have more control.

In short I am only getting 17MB download when I should get 47MB/50MB and cannot get the wireless to work

Can someone point me in the right direction :)

Nilz38

Paul
27-02-2010, 14:21
Moved to internet forum.

AndyCalling
27-02-2010, 20:35
Virgin do not offer a 50meg ADSL service, it's up to 8meg only.

The cable service goes up to 50meg but you need a cable router for that, not an ADSL router which is designed for a BT style phone line.

You may have to decide what you want to achieve here, because you seem to be confusing two things and I can't tell which is real. Do you have Virgin National (ADSL) Broadband or do you have Virgin Cable broadband?

Sephiroth
27-02-2010, 20:56
In WAN2 of the General Setup you would have:
Enable = YES
Physical Mode=Ethernet
Physical Type = Auto Negotiate
Load Balance Mode = Auto Weight
Active Mode = Always On

In WAN --> Internet Access you would have:

Selected "Static or Dynamic IP"
Enable
Keep WAN Connection = Unchecked
WAN Connection Detection = Mode = Always On
RIP Protocol = Uncheck Enable

WAN IP SETTINGS
Obtain an IP address automaticlly = Checked
Default MAC Address = Checked
DNS Server IP Address = leave blank

WIRELESS LAN:
Enable
Mode = Mixed (11b+11g+11n) or any of the available settings
Channel = Channel 6 (we can come back to this one if necessary)
Everything else unchecked and unfilled unless you have a specific reason for allocating bandwidth.

I'll leave the wireless security side to you. Follow the manual.

If you change to the above settings, what is the wired speed?

Your wireless speed - I don't know what you'll get. Depends on channel contention near your house.

Later.

The PIT
27-02-2010, 21:29
Basically the above should work.
I had too clone the mac address of my pc before it would get a valid ip address.
I had two network network cards on the pc so no problem.

GordonD
28-02-2010, 10:26
Basically the above should work.

Ditto,

Also if your using wired connection there is no reason why you can't achieve close to 50mb download (I can get a max of 47mb or higher).

Plus don't rely on some of thise speed checker sites, they are not always accurate.