PDA

View Full Version : Takes me about 20 mins to get online

slainesco
26-02-2010, 14:45
Good Afternoon.

About the last 3 weeks i have had great difficulty in getting online.

I power on the modem (Scientific Atlantic 2100) and then the pc.

Once pc is booted up, i am getting no internet whatsoever.

I have noticed on the modem that the power and the pc light are the only ones that are lit up.

I am only on 10mb and i then have to switch on and off pc and modem about 5 times before it works

Thanks inadvance

Slainesco

Peter_
26-02-2010, 14:52
I would advise you to call Tech Support so they can check your connection.

Call 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

slainesco
26-02-2010, 15:14
Is that not about £2 a minute lol

broadbandking
26-02-2010, 15:22
no free from a Virgin land line just dial 151, and normal rate if you dial the 0845 numbers

ABUSH1803
26-02-2010, 15:29
Hi

I too have had the same problem, I called them on Monday to say it took 15-20 mins to get online, they did some tests down the line, still could not fix the problem, they are sending an engineer out tomorrow morning to check the line from outside.
Will let you know the outcome:)

slainesco
26-02-2010, 16:06
well i just phoned and they said i should not be switching off the modem every night. Thing is ive been doing this for years and its just in the last 3 weeks its causing me an issue

yeah keep me posted thanks

ABUSH1803
26-02-2010, 16:29
I always turn all power to the Pc, modem, etc off at the plug each time they have been used. I have done for the last 4ish years.
if I leave it on, the modem gets warm and still uses electricity and I too have only had this problem for the last 3 weeks.
Yes I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

slainesco
26-02-2010, 16:34
nice one too me that was a get out with the modem

Peter_
26-02-2010, 18:47
I would advise you to call Tech Support so they can check your connection.

Call 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.
151 is free from a Virgin phone and the average cost of a 0845 number is around 9p a minute.;)

AbyssUnderground
26-02-2010, 20:17
The amount of power the modem uses when left on is negligible to have any noticeable impact on your bill. They recommend you leave it on because it takes a while to get a signal lock on occasions, which is exactly what is happening to you by the sound of it.

ABUSH1803
27-02-2010, 11:32
Well the Virgin man has been out, first he exchanged the modem but I was still having the same problem.
He did another test and said the power level was too high which was causing the problem.
He called the helpdesk who had to do something their end and now im back up and running.....yipppeeee:)

slainesco
27-02-2010, 11:43
Thank you for getting back in touch.
Well i dont know if its a coincidence or cos i phoned up yesterday but when i power on this morning it connected straight away.
Im not holding out so time will tell.

Atleast your back up and running tho

thanks again

Spectato
27-02-2010, 16:51
... just phoned and they said i should not be switching off the modem every night.

I always turn all power to the Pc, modem, etc off at the plug each time they have been used. I have done for the last 4ish years.
Same here.
Switch my modem and everything else off, every night.
I'd rather risk waiting a minute to get an Internet connection than a house fire.
Been doing this since I first got cable with both the old Motorola and newer Ambit modems, and never had to wait longer than booting an XP loaded PC to get online.

It's no wonder that people don't have confidence in Virgin's customer services, considering some of the mumbo-jumbo they come out with.

Peter_
27-02-2010, 21:43
Same here.
Switch my modem and everything else off, every night.
I'd rather risk waiting a minute to get an Internet connection than a house fire.
Been doing this since I first got cable with both the old Motorola and newer Ambit modems, and never had to wait longer than booting an XP loaded PC to get online.

It's no wonder that people don't have confidence in Virgin's customer services, considering some of the mumbo-jumbo they come out with.
The modems are designed to be left on at all times just like your fridge or freezer and are perfectly safe, mine is on 24/7 and I cannot remember my last reboot as my connection is rock solid.

Spectato
28-02-2010, 01:58
The modems are designed to be left on at all times just like your fridge or freezer and are perfectly safe, mine is on 24/7 and I cannot remember my last reboot as my connection is rock solid.
I'm sure they can be left on 24/7, but whether they should or indeed are left on is down to the users' discretion, surely.
I was brought up to switch everything off at night.
They even had public information films to that end, on the telly!

So far, I haven't had one of those hot little 'wall-wart' power supplies catch fire, but I've had a couple explode (not Hollywood explode, but they really did explode).

moaningmags
28-02-2010, 02:14
I used to leave my modem and router on 24/7 but in all honesty with the price of electricity and having a pay as you go meter means it's now turned off every night.
I switch modem, router and comp all on at the same time and in the time it takes the comp to boot up the modem and router have done their thing and I'm online.