PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

shenfrey
25-02-2010, 23:10
You will be using your computer as normal, and your internet will just drop out? Iv been using Vrigin Media for months and iv never had a single drop out but today i did, just came out of no where, no problems on the line, i rang virgin up and they said we will reset your line for you if it dont work call us back.

So 5-10 minutes later, my internet decides to work again directly through the modem, my router on the otherhand was STILL playing up. I re-plugged it- re-setted it, nothing worked, then when i logged into router setup page my internet just automaticly worked again! Grrrrr

Computers, don't you hate em sometimes.

Peter_
25-02-2010, 23:14
How old is your router as it may be telling you that it wants to retire.

shenfrey
25-02-2010, 23:14
How old is your router as it may be telling you that it wants to retire.

Brand spanking new, got it when i got 50mb installed about a month ago.

Peter_
25-02-2010, 23:15
Possibly just a glitch on the system, it happens.

Sephiroth
25-02-2010, 23:22
I get this whenever the VM network glitches (which is very rarely in RG41).

You have to wait till the modem READY light is on, turn off the modem and router for a few minutes to clear any lease. Turn on the modem; when the ready light is on, turn the router on.

Even better if you then reboot the PC to reset that connexion, but diagnose & repair (Vista) usually then clears the lurker.

ceedee
26-02-2010, 00:15
So 5-10 minutes later, my internet decides to work again directly through the modem, my router on the otherhand was STILL playing up. I re-plugged it- re-setted it, nothing worked, then when i logged into router setup page my internet just automaticly worked again!
I had the same thing at around 4.30pm this afternoon.
(I'm on 10Mb/s in south Bath, by the way.)

And since reconnecting, my connection is struggling to get even 3Mb/s...

Ignitionnet
26-02-2010, 08:32
You will be using your computer as normal, and your internet will just drop out? Iv been using Vrigin Media for months and iv never had a single drop out but today i did, just came out of no where, no problems on the line, i rang virgin up and they said we will reset your line for you if it dont work call us back.

So 5-10 minutes later, my internet decides to work again directly through the modem, my router on the otherhand was STILL playing up. I re-plugged it- re-setted it, nothing worked, then when i logged into router setup page my internet just automaticly worked again! Grrrrr

Computers, don't you hate em sometimes.

Yep every time the connection drops, only solution is to renew IP lease on the router.

Pantsu-san
26-02-2010, 18:15
I get this whenever the VM network glitches (which is very rarely in RG41).

You have to wait till the modem READY light is on, turn off the modem and router for a few minutes to clear any lease. Turn on the modem; when the ready light is on, turn the router on.

Even better if you then reboot the PC to reset that connexion, but diagnose & repair (Vista) usually then clears the lurker.

I find that I can just navigate to the router's front end, find the renew IP button, click it and everything works again. Which, for me, works much better as the CM/router is in a different room to my main PC. Might save some time for people in the same situation.