PDA

View Full Version : no broadband,just network 3

strawdog74
25-02-2010, 20:35
this happened last week i was useing a wifi router with laptop and they were both on broadband i used a scan thing to get rid of junk files etc..after that both went onto local access.
i wiped the vista pc and installed xp still no broadband and the sound wasnt working..so i bought a new pc windows 7 which is fine but still no broadband
ive tired rebooting modem and ringing india who seem puzzled" but sir you have a broadband account" etc.

this is making me very annoyed indeed can any one help plz?:sleep:

Graham M
25-02-2010, 20:38
have you rebooted the router?

Scrubbs
25-02-2010, 20:57
What "scan thing" ?

Horace
25-02-2010, 21:07
Sounds like some security software has modified your network settings..wouldn't be PC Guard/Virgin Media Security is it? I've seen Kapersky kill internet connections before and if I remember correctly, un-installing and then re-installing fixed the problem. The problem could be much deeper than that, it's pretty simple to test though.

strawdog74
25-02-2010, 21:36
it was just some software which checked junk files etc
ive taken the router out and ive also rang india helpline few times and they have send "signals" at the modem etc and told me to disable the local access connection and try to reconnect.
still no joy just says error 651 and they said norwich broadband might be down or..

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

Advanced System Optimizer..that was the software

xintas
25-02-2010, 21:37
Norwich broadband is OK (if a little slow) here in NR2 ;)

Xin

Scrubbs
25-02-2010, 21:38
A quick google got this http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/error-651-with-pppoe-connections-in-windows-7/

xintas
25-02-2010, 21:47
Nice find Scrubbs, but it's not a fix for the faint-hearted, and no disrespect to the OP, but they do not appear to be at the level of replacing system files with ones from a previous OS.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

There are some further suggestions of things to try for this error here:

http://ghost301tech.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/error-651-in-windows-7-a-killer-for-internet-connectionvpn/

strawdog74
25-02-2010, 21:50
ty scrubbs but im not confident enough to do that..
this is a new pc got it today i dont wanna bugger it up:shocked:

so im stuffed then?

Scrubbs
25-02-2010, 21:55
You said you had two laptops that used to work, what happens when you plug them into your modem? As opposed to the new pc

xintas
25-02-2010, 21:55
Strawdog, I am assuming that because you are trying to make a PPPoE connection to VM that your cable modem is connected directly to your PC via the USB lead.

Do you have, or do you know anyone who you may be able to lend you a cable router? This will save you from having to make the PPPoE connection from your Win7 PC.

strawdog74
25-02-2010, 22:08
i have one laptop just tried to connect it with the lead..limited con:confused:

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

i use ethernet lead..sorry it must be hard im a complete retard with these pc jargon

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

so u think i should wait until windows sorts this out?

xintas
25-02-2010, 22:09
when you have the "limited connection", could you please find out what IP address you are getting? This might help us establish how far you are getting. To do this:

1) Right-click on the Network icon in the system tray (next to the clock) which shows the limited connection "!" and select "open Network and Sharing Centre"
2) In the middle of the "Network and Sharing Centre" window on the right-hand side, you should have a section which says "Access type" and then directly below that, "Local Area Connection" in blue, which is a link. Click on "Local Area Connection.
3) In the resulting window, click the "Details" button
4) Reply with the value next to "IPv4 Address" - it will be in "dotted quad" format, eg: 10.10.10.10

We will then be able to determine if you are not getting a network IP at all, or are getting a VM internal IP as if you are not authenticated on the network.

Xin

strawdog74
25-02-2010, 22:29
description via rhine ll fast ethernet adapter
physical address 00 14 0b 3c ac 5c
dhcp enabled yes
autoconfiguation ipva 169 254 192 238
ipvasubnet mask 255 255 0.0

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:21 ----------

autoconfig ipv4^

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

ipv4 subnet as well..sorry

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

the rest is blank number wise

ipv4 default gateway
dns server
wins server
netbios over t cpip en yes

xintas
25-02-2010, 22:29
OK, you are getting what is know as an APIPA address - 169.254.x.x. This basically means that your PC is unable to obtain an IP address through any other means, so automatically begins using one in a range it knows is "safe" to use. Unfortunately, this doesn't help you with getting on the internet...

If your setup is as simpe as it sounds - PC --Ethernet cable--> Cable modem and you are having these problems, I would really suggest getting back onto VM. If you call them in the morning, you stand a better chance of getting through to a UK callcentre.

I don't think there is an awful lot more I can do to help you as it stands Strawdog, sorry buddy.

strawdog74
25-02-2010, 22:37
u mean vista? vm?

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

u mean installing vista or xp?

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

ah virgin media christ this is a bitch

xintas
25-02-2010, 22:40
Yes, sorry, Virgin Media. It's getting late!

Lord Nikon
26-02-2010, 04:35
Sheesh there are some confusing instructions in here, let's go back to basics.
1) Unplug the ethernet cable from the modem
2) Unplug the modem, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in
3) Do a hard reset on your router, then reconnect it to the modem using the WAN port on the router to the Ethernet port on the modem, you may need to refer to the manual for the router, but that's usually available online, also make a note of it's default LAN IP Range.
4) Connect one of the Laptops to the router using an Ethernet cable, not wifi
If your IP address is still a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP and not one within the default range of the router then try the following.
Open (XP) a command prompt, (Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt) or (Vista & 7) an Administrative Command Prompt. (Start, Programs, Accessories, RIGHT CLICK Command Prompt and 'Run as Administrator)
type in the following commands

netsh int reset all
netsh winsock reset

After the second command you will be told you need to reboot. Do so, then check your IP again. If it's still a 169.254 IP then we will try the following.

Change the IP to manual setup
IP Address - Something in the same net group as the router, I'll use 192.168.0.1 as the router's default IP in this example

IP 192.168.0.100 (Last 3 numbers must be different to the router's IP)
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 (for most common routers this is correct, it usually sets itself after you set the IP anyway)
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (Always the Router IP)

Then see if you are online, either way try opening a web browser connection to your router. http:// router IP address
Check the settings in the router are set to DHCP assigned WAN IP, DHCP allocation of LAN IPs and set up the SSID and WPA2 security on the wifi connection.

If the Router isn't getting online try opening http://192.168.100.1 username and password are root. If you can get to the modem then it's progress and we'll work from there

Remember that when you want to plug something different into the modem you need to reboot it first or it won't work no matter what you do