PDA

View Full Version : No dialling tone........

NOTSURE71
24-02-2010, 21:40
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and would be so grateful for any advice you can give me.

My Virgin landline has been out of action since yesterday and an engineer isn't due to come out til tomorrow night. I know I can probably wait til then but this fault has happened too many times now. When I pick up the phone there is no dialling tone at all it is dead, but if someone phones me the phone rings my end and when I pick the phone up, I can hear what the person who is calling me can hear ie, a ringing tone. I have unplugged my phone, plug it back in and nothing rectifies this, I have even tried a different phone but it is definitely the line. This has happened too many times now. When the engineer turns up they say they can't find a fault but it miraculously works after their investigations. What is going on? Thanks for any advice.:confused:

Saaf_laandon_mo
25-02-2010, 10:27
Last time this happened to me was because water had got into where the telephone line enters my house. The engineer told me this had damaged some of the line. It could be that when the engineer arrives there is no trace of water, and as its dried your line isnt being effected.

Digital Fanatic
25-02-2010, 11:34
Hi everyone I am new to this forum and would be so grateful for any advice you can give me.

My Virgin landline has been out of action since yesterday and an engineer isn't due to come out til tomorrow night. I know I can probably wait til then but this fault has happened too many times now. When I pick up the phone there is no dialling tone at all it is dead, but if someone phones me the phone rings my end and when I pick the phone up, I can hear what the person who is calling me can hear ie, a ringing tone. I have unplugged my phone, plug it back in and nothing rectifies this, I have even tried a different phone but it is definitely the line. This has happened too many times now. When the engineer turns up they say they can't find a fault but it miraculously works after their investigations. What is going on? Thanks for any advice.:confused:

Does sound like possible ingress somewhere.... maybe a repull is required? Advise the engineer when he comes about the other faults, he may book a repull in for you if he thinks it will help.

NOTSURE71
25-02-2010, 12:24
Thanks for your advice. I actually live on the 10th floor of a tower block and it always seems to happen to my line and no-one elses. I am beginning to get paranoid and think someone is tampering with my phone line perhaps. Probably just a technial fault but can't help thinking. I shall post a reply again when engineer has been. :confused: