PDA

View Full Version : can this be done?

Rockabilly Spike
24-02-2010, 19:31
ok folks?

I posted a thing up the other day bout shiftin house over to live with the GF.
anyways, she wants me to put the PC in the bedroom rather than the front room (where I want it so I can link the HDMI on my GFX card to the TV)

her modem and router are in her front room

i have a Buffalo WHR G54s router which can also be used as an access point.

tried another few forums trying to get a straight answer to this but no one can give me one in very simple terms:

if I set my router to bridge mode with the switch on the underside and attach it via one of the LAN ports to my PC, will it be able to see the netgear router in her front room?

basically i wanna know whats gonna be my better option
buying a PCI or USB wifi card
moving the modem/router to the bedroom (requires a fair amount of recabling)
using a home network plug system?

can I use my buffalo router as a wifi reciever like that, just plugged into my PC's ethernet?

i thought the point of an access point was to recieve a signal, re-amplify it and send it on.

colin25
24-02-2010, 19:34
Might be easier getting a new gf

:)

Halcyon
24-02-2010, 19:53
In my opinion you would need a wireless router connected to your modem downstairs. Operate it as a wireless router. Don't mess around with bridge mode.
Then use either a wireless access point or one of your other routers (buffalo) that can be set to "access point only" mode in the bedroom.
That will receive the signal from downstairs.
Ethernet cable comes out from the access point and goes into your machine in the bedroom.

Mr Angry
24-02-2010, 20:06
Spike,

Your focus on what should be going on in your girlfriends bedroom after you move in appears to be a bit out of sync with conventional male "priorities".

Are you sure the two of you are not already married?

Halcyon
24-02-2010, 20:17
I have used a similar setup to the one I suggested and it worked for me.

On the back of your Buffalo router you should have a switch to put it into Access point mode.

Rockabilly Spike
24-02-2010, 20:21
its a flat, all one level, but I just wanted a short term solution for when I move in, to be able to set up and not have to use her laptop for the net.
she wants the PC in our bedroom so we can attach it to my tv (37" LG) so we can watch the downloaded stuff in bed, plus she doesnt want a PC in the front room.

been together coming up 4 years.
11.5years difference, with me being the older (physically at least!!!)

am just moving into her place, i just want a peaceful move!

so lets get this straight
from room: cable modem to netgear router broadcasting wirelessly (means she can use her laptop in there too), my PC in the bedroom with the buffalo router set on Bridge/access point mode and attached to the ethernet on my PC?

any config to be done here?

Halcyon
24-02-2010, 21:06
Sorry, I've just remembered my setup has a lan cable to the access point. I'm not with it tonight.

You might still be able to do this though if the buffalo can be set as client mode though since it is a router it might not have that function.

Rockabilly Spike
24-02-2010, 21:45
this is the router am using
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/files/products/WHR-G54S_DS.pdf

Spectato
24-02-2010, 22:44
Good lord man!
Buy yourself a £5-£10 PCI card and be done with it!
You'll make the money back from the electricity saved, not running the other router.

Rockabilly Spike
25-02-2010, 00:14
Good lord man!
Buy yourself a £5-£10 PCI card and be done with it!
You'll make the money back from the electricity saved, not running the other router.

just trying to make use of the £30 i spent on the router less than a year ago.

I guess we could can her netgear supplied by Virgin and use the Buffalo instead since it seems to get good reviews

calmpitbull
25-02-2010, 20:54
just trying to make use of the £30 i spent on the router less than a year ago.

I guess we could can her netgear supplied by Virgin and use the Buffalo instead since it seems to get good reviews

Good plan, it seems to me like you are overcomplicating the situation. Just run one router.

Rockabilly Spike
25-02-2010, 22:44
cheers, someone on another forum said it was possible if her router supported WDS.
i checked it, its a netgear 614 v9 and it does from what i've read online.