PDA

View Full Version : Moving house, moving to cable

Nymins
23-02-2010, 20:03
Hi all,

First post here, so hopefully its in the right place and....hello!

Anyway, hopefully our family will be moving from the countryside back to our roots in Belfast and hopefully to a cable enabled house! ;)

Now the place we are looking at is in a relatively new development, about two years old now. Having checked the Virgin Media website with the area post code, it says that it is enabled for cable services. However, it seems that the house we are looking at isn't on the list, but the house directly next door is! Its a row of terrace houses in a set of 3, so not quite semi-detached :). It basically looks like this:

Number 5 | Number 3 (Me) | Number 1 ||Road|| Number 2 | Number 4 | Number 6|

The houses are at the entrance to the development shown here (highlighted in red is the house we are after, between number 1 and 5:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/02/21.jpg

Not a great diagram i know but hey! Anyway, Number 5 seems to be the only house that is on the list on the Virgin website. There are about 48 houses in the whole development and almost all of them are on the list too, bar a couple like 41, 43, 45, 47, so you see a pattern is emerging.

I was just wondering really, seeing as the neighbour has cable, im assuming the online database is either wrong/out of date and just not listing the house im after?

I can give the post code if it will help anything to the Virgin people in the know here! :D

Cheers guys!

Chris
23-02-2010, 20:06
Sometimes the database is wrong, sometimes the ducting in the street is laid in such a way that they can't get a cable to your drive. If there's any doubt you can fill in the spotter form:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

If they can service your new address, someone will get in touch with you to arrange it.

:welcome: to the forum by the way!

Nymins
23-02-2010, 20:14
Sometimes the database is wrong, sometimes the ducting in the street is laid in such a way that they can't get a cable to your drive. If there's any doubt you can fill in the spotter form:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

If they can service your new address, someone will get in touch with you to arrange it.

:welcome: to the forum by the way!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Since i haven't moved into the house (and the old occupants haven't moved out!) is it still possible to get a spotter to check it out? Or would they go to the owners and ask them can they look around.

Just although this house is one our family is really interested in, we haven't bought it or made any offers.

Is it possible for the spotter to go around and just contact me directly after? Or will they need to speak with the current owners about it?

Chris
23-02-2010, 20:17
They don't need to go in - they just check in the street to see if their ducting is close enough to get a cable onto the property.

I'm not sure what the etiquette is though. Personally I'd try putting the new address in the form, but your current phone number and email address, as they're unlikely to try sending you a letter in the mail. Hang around a while though, there are other people on this forum who know how this works, they may be able to advise you further.

Nymins
24-02-2010, 19:44
Just an update on this.

I submitted the form in the link you gave Chris and this evening a guy from Virgin called. He said he knew the area and the housing development well, and that he installed or was there (can't remember) when they done number 5 next door! He said that I could definitely 100% get cable at number 3, its just that its not on the database.

Gave me a phone number and his name, so i guess i need to call that if i want to get VM when (if :)) i move in!

Digital Fanatic
26-02-2010, 01:32
Just an update on this.

I submitted the form in the link you gave Chris and this evening a guy from Virgin called. He said he knew the area and the housing development well, and that he installed or was there (can't remember) when they done number 5 next door! He said that I could definitely 100% get cable at number 3, its just that its not on the database.

Gave me a phone number and his name, so i guess i need to call that if i want to get VM when (if :)) i move in!

That's service for you :) At least you know now if you decide to make an offer on the property.