PDA

View Full Version : Re-use of VM cable

CaineWolf
23-02-2010, 14:46
Hello (newbie here).
In my house we have a Virgin Media package (Phone, TV & BB).
The Phone and TV are supplied by a black cable to the room downstairs but the internet was via a seperate black cable to upstairs.
A few months ago we contacted Virgin because we wanted the Internet downstairs (to supply a wirless router).
The fitter simply added a splitter and some additional white cable to the existing TV connector and left the upstairs connection where it was and screwed something into where the cable used to fit to (a sort of cap).
Anyway, i'm now considering moving the TV to a different room and was wondering whether, if i reroute the cable from upstairs to another room and then plug my VM TV set-top into, it will work?
Also, what connector will i need as i'll have to cut it to get it through the wall (is it an F connector or something)?
Any advice greatfully received as i don't wanna pay another £99 for a guy to spend 5 mins moving it!

calmpitbull
23-02-2010, 20:52
In theory you shouldn't touch anything but I can understand why you wouldn't want to pay £99 for such an easy move.

You can assuming there is still signal on the upstairs cable (i.e. is hasn't been removed from the splitter feeding it). You can just move the cable and plug your set top into it. You will need an f connector to put back on it (for rg6 or rg59 cable depending on which cable it is). Make sure none of the coax braiding is touching the centre conductor when you put the connector on.

I repeat that you shouldn't be doing this. However any tech would just be glad that you did all the work.

CaineWolf
24-02-2010, 09:04
Thanks for the advice calmpitbull, much appreciated.
I think the most difficult part is going to be refitting the f connector so despite taking your warning that i SHOULDN'T be doing it ;) into account, i think i might give it a try anyway.
If it works and therefore saves me £99 i'll have a drink in your honour!
:beer: