PDA

View Full Version : Beta news server 30 days retention?

Jonathan90
23-02-2010, 15:45
I've heard that virginmedia have a beta usene service with 30 day retention anyone shed some light on this?

Sirius
23-02-2010, 15:57
I've heard that virginmedia have a beta usene service with 30 day retention anyone shed some light on this?

If this is true it will make me consider cancelling my subscription to supernews

Ignitionnet
23-02-2010, 16:00
Haven't seen it anywhere and wouldn't make a huge amount of sense but this is VM so who knows ;)

Well wouldn't make a huge amount of sense unless they plan on getting stats on what people are downloading from them or are planning to shape newsgroup traffic that is.

ceedee
23-02-2010, 17:43
Virginmedia's usenet server is at news.virginmedia.com but I'd reckon the retention is less than 7 days, not 30.

Ignitionnet
23-02-2010, 21:51
Virginmedia's usenet server is at news.virginmedia.com but I'd reckon the retention is less than 7 days, not 30.

It's way more than that but VM receive a restricted feed from the server. I guess they could pay some more and have the terms of that feed changed, this wouldn't be a 'beta' though it would be pretty trivial and no need to beta test, just a configuration change by Highwinds.