PDA

View Full Version : 2 connections and splitting signal

jetsstar1
23-02-2010, 09:40
I hope that someone may help me. I have had a good search but there does not seem to be a specific answer to my question...

At present I have Virgin TV (V+) and Internet service. The V+ box and the cable modem are located in different rooms with separate connections to the outside.

I now have a fancy Sony HD TV that can do more with an Internet connection but requires Ethernet rather than wireless. I generally run everything on wireless so it is not an issue to move the Virgin cable modem and wireless router to the living room near the TV. There are 2 F type?? connections on the wall in the living room but only one seems to offer a signal to the V+ or modem.

So excuse my ignorance. Is it possible to put a splitter on the living room single connection? Or is it possible to open up the other connector to a signal? I presume this is what happens anyway with my two connections. But by having another splitter will this further degrade the signal or by the virtue that I am not using the other one will I end up with the quality of signal that I have now? I would prefer not to sacrifice V+ or Internet connection quality or speed.

Thanks so much for any help.

pip08456
23-02-2010, 10:54
Sounds like there is already a splitter in the living room hence the 2 f type connectors and only one in use. Just connect the modem to the spare and away you go.

Peter_
23-02-2010, 10:58
Your new TV should have a PCMIA slot on the side for a wireless card both of my TV's do and one is a Toshiba and the other is an LG.

If yours has one it should go wireless.

Kymmy
23-02-2010, 11:02
Otherwise just run a cheap ethernet cable through from your wireless router to the TV.. Then you have no worries about signals/splitters/etc...

Ben B
23-02-2010, 11:03
The second F Type socket is for FM and cannot be used for modem or TV connection. The use of homeplugs might be better than risking a degrade in service by using a splitter. Or as Kymmy suggested a long ethernet cable.

Peter_
23-02-2010, 11:05
You can get some really long ethernet cables fron Ebay, I got a 20Mtr for £4.38 inc P&P.

Graham M
23-02-2010, 12:10
Your new TV should have a PCMIA slot on the side for a wireless card both of my TV's do and one is a Toshiba and the other is an LG.

If yours has one it should go wireless.

I've never heard of these being used for Wi-Fi, normally they are used to plug-in card readers such as those used for Top-Up TV

jetsstar1
23-02-2010, 12:40
Thanks everyone for the comments.

pip08456 - I checked the other terminal, as Ben B says it is for FM.

Kymmy - I have thought about a long ethernet cable and the only real option is to run it externally, it seems silly when I don't actually need the router to be in the study as everything else runs on wireless.

Moldova - There is no option to run the TV with wireless, I have investigated that option with Sony. The only other option here is to use a Wireless bridge, but at £80 for a good one, a £2.50 splitter seems better value, providing it doesn't degrade the signal.

What do Virgin do if you want to have TV and Internet in the same room, surely they don't put two big white boxes on the wall?

Thanks again.

pabscars
23-02-2010, 12:53
What do Virgin do if you want to have TV and Internet in the same room, surely they don't put two big white boxes on the wall?

Thanks again.

No just one white box, which goes into a splitter, then one cable goes to the V+ box and the other to modem

jetsstar1
23-02-2010, 13:02
No just one white box, which goes into a splitter, then one cable goes to the V+ box and the other to modem

So it appears I may have an answer. If Virgin do it, then I'll simply try a splitter, unless anybody knows a reason not to in my particular case?

Now off to the other parts of the forum to complain about fuzzy menus on 1080 HD output and how I don't have any disk space on my V+ recording HD programs, and how I get crashes with Music on Demand.. etc. etc.... (but in all honesty Virgin has worked pretty well for me for the last few years) ;)

Thanks all. :tu:

pip08456
23-02-2010, 13:04
For the sake of £2.50 it's worth a go.

Peter_
23-02-2010, 13:17
I've never heard of these being used for Wi-Fi, normally they are used to plug-in card readers such as those used for Top-Up TV
Yes quite right, shows how little I know about the TV side.;)

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

a £2.50 splitter seems better value, providing it doesn't degrade the signal.

They send out a splitter for free.

calmpitbull
23-02-2010, 20:43
If you will not be using the other point you could remove the splitter from the box outside and connect the incoming cable straight to the point you want to split in two.

Then use that splitter to split the point in two. (saves buying a splitter).

To connect the cable straight through in the box outside you will need a back to back connector:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9686556&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266920887

This would be the best way of doing it as it would leave no open ports on the network and keep the signal levels higher.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Thanks again.

Virgin would indeed just fit a splitter after the white box. so by doing as above it would be a top job!