PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about using VPN any suggestions?

*sloman*
23-02-2010, 09:57
I am thinking about using a VPN, now the VM are using Cview (regardless if my IP is tagged or not) and various other sources trying to view my 0's and 1's.

I have seen Giganews are giving VYPRVPN away free for Diamond users.

Anyone use this or have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

broadbandking
23-02-2010, 10:55
Someone told me the best VPN's are the paid ones, but then again the free ones are good too, I have also heard that VPN's can mess alittle with your speeds.

Ignitionnet
23-02-2010, 11:11
Someone told me the best VPN's are the paid ones, but then again the free ones are good too, I have also heard that VPN's can mess alittle with your speeds.

Way more than a little from the accounts I've read.

Depends what you want to do with it, if you are planning on hiding browsing with it there will be some impact, downloading via P2P, etc, via it will be quite noticeable. Adds a big extra hop, dependent on how loaded the VPN is, etc.

As always with these the devil is in the detail.

http://www.goldenfrog.com/terms-of-service
http://www.goldenfrog.com/copyright

Spectato
23-02-2010, 13:11
Only two I would recommend from experience are StrongVPN and PureVPN.
Both of them have the potential to be effectively transparent with a (my) 20Mb connection (same output speed as input speed).
I can't testify if that follows for someone with a 50Mb connection, although anecdotally, I have heard that it is possible.
Factors like which server you choose or are designated by the VPN can (and will) make a huge difference to how your line performs, and how others and various services see you.
You won't be able to stream content from British TV sites for example, if you're hooked up to a German server.
You'll probably need to learn a few tricks and do a bit of tweaking to get the best performance you can.
Using a VPN wasn't a full-on, 'straight out of the box' experience for me personally.

Of the two mentioned, StrongVPN have better and more attentive service, and excellent user controls.
PureVPN is a little cheaper and offers a 3-day trial.

Yes, the free VPNs are by and large, useless, and offer very limited service.
You'll probably be lucky to get a 1Mb connection and they tend to be extremely flakey and unreliable, as you'd expect.
Not all the paid services are up to snuff either.
'Relakks' for example are cheap and bold in their claims, but totally useless on all levels.

I'd highly recommend spending at least an hour or two on Google, researching your options and searching for good and bad testimonials, before taking the plunge.

Also, a brief mention that a 'reputable' VPN (the more prominent commercial providers) will cut you loose much faster than any ISP would if you violate their TOS.
That is to say, that they're obliged to act on any complaints they recieve (C&D orders and the like), which can result in them 'cutting you off' in your prime!
Unfortunately, I've had to face them down on several occasions, having been wrongly accused of downloading/sharing various pieces of popular media.
VPN can make the detail of your activities invisible to your ISP, but it's not necessarily an open licence to loot and pillage!