PDA

View Full Version : WGT624 v4 + iPod streaming problems

jtaylor06
22-02-2010, 21:42
Hey Everyone

As the title suggests, I have both an iPod and WGT624 v4 (NETGEAR).
However I am currently experiencing streaming problems with YouTube or any other media such as TVCatchUp and SHOUTCast.

Just want to know if anyone else has both of these and has problems too?

I know it's not the iPod as I could stream fine from a mates house who's using TalkTalk broadband, and also my brother has one, and his is having the same problem.

Sounds like a router problem to me?
Any settings in particular that need changing if anyone knows, or just a new router all together needed?

Sorry for the questions :)

Ben B
22-02-2010, 21:54
Sounds like interference to me, download something called NetStumbler on XP or Visstumbler on Vista/7 and find out what channels surrounding networks are using and then pick a unique channel to set your router to :)

jtaylor06
22-02-2010, 22:04
Sounds like interference to me, download something called NetStumbler on XP or Visstumbler on Vista/7 and find out what channels surrounding networks are using and then pick a unique channel to set your router to :)

Thanks for that Ben :)
Just scanned area, and next door's internet isn't on for once!
The channel is on 1, signal strength between 70-80%

Just thought, the router is underneath the V+ box, would that actually cause interference in some way?

Edit: When I mean underneath, the box is on top of a wooden cabinet, and the router is inside a draw

Ben B
22-02-2010, 22:09
It may cause some interference, for the best signal routers should be placed on a higher surface as far away from interference as possible, mine is placed on the top shelf of my computer desk and I have no issues with my iPod touch with it there :)

jtaylor06
22-02-2010, 22:09
It may cause some interference, for the best signal routers should be placed on a higher surface as far away from interference as possible, mine is placed on the top shelf of my computer desk and I have no issues with my iPod touch with it there :)

Cheers, I will give it a little bit of a move around to see if it works :)

Digital Fanatic
22-02-2010, 22:18
Have you tried removing the SPI in the routers settings? I was getting problems with downloads and streaming and removing that fixed my issue?

jtaylor06
22-02-2010, 22:36
Have you tried removing the SPI in the routers settings? I was getting problems with downloads and streaming and removing that fixed my issue?

Yes.
My uncle always tells me to remove SPI with every router I get so it's stuck in my head to remove it asap :)

philwhite100
23-02-2010, 19:11
What is SPI please.

jtaylor06
23-02-2010, 20:53
Stateful Packet Inspection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateful_firewall

It's like a firewall but on your router.

Ben B
23-02-2010, 23:19
Have you sorted it?

jtaylor06
25-02-2010, 21:20
Still having problems.
No nearby WiFi was present at time, held iPod over the router so signal could not be less than 95% and nothing in way, and still having problems

Must be an issue with settings?

Ben B
25-02-2010, 22:17
Have you tried different channels? Try a channel like 9 cause channel 1 is useless for a lot of people

xintas
25-02-2010, 22:24
It might not be other WiFi networks causing interferance - many devices use the 2.4GHz spectrum - video senders, some cordless phones etc.

Would it be possible to have a friend with a laptop come round and see if they are able to connect to your wireless access point in order to rule out your iPod?

You might want to take a look at MetaGeek Inssider (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider) - it is a piece of freeware which will show you the signal strength of visible wireless networks over time - obviously this would need to be run from a wireless-enabled device (again, laptop...), and if the signal strength is low, you have the answer to your problem. MetaGeek make some other products for investigating wireless problems (I use a Wi-Spy for wireless site surveys at work), but they cost money :(

Xin

jtaylor06
25-02-2010, 22:44
It might not be other WiFi networks causing interferance - many devices use the 2.4GHz spectrum - video senders, some cordless phones etc.

Would it be possible to have a friend with a laptop come round and see if they are able to connect to your wireless access point in order to rule out your iPod?

You might want to take a look at MetaGeek Inssider (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider) - it is a piece of freeware which will show you the signal strength of visible wireless networks over time - obviously this would need to be run from a wireless-enabled device (again, laptop...), and if the signal strength is low, you have the answer to your problem. MetaGeek make some other products for investigating wireless problems (I use a Wi-Spy for wireless site surveys at work), but they cost money :(

Xin

Hi Xin

Thanks for your reply.
I have about 3 laptops in the house, they manage to stream everything fine and download although the speed is around 10MB/s even though on a 20MB/s connection (but Speedtest.net is inaccurate according to a few people).
It looks like it is just iPods that are the problem. It can't be specific as two iPods are affected. One 2nd Gen, and one 2nd Gen Late 2009 version.

I will have a butchers with the metageek software though :)

Thanks

---------- Post added at 22:44 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

inSSIDer says the signal strength is around -50 to -60 from upstairs.

xintas
25-02-2010, 22:48
At between -50 to -60, most wireless devices should be perfectly stable.

Another test would be - can you take your iPod elsewhere and test it on someone else's wireless network? The key to these things is finding the common denominator!

It could be something as bizarre as the wireless chipset Apple uses doesn't play nicely with the one in your Netgear. At that point I would be looking for firmware updates for both the iPod and the Netgear ;)

jtaylor06
25-02-2010, 23:03
Have you tried different channels? Try a channel like 9 cause channel 1 is useless for a lot of people

I'll try this :) Thanks for reply.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

At between -50 to -60, most wireless devices should be perfectly stable.

Another test would be - can you take your iPod elsewhere and test it on someone else's wireless network? The key to these things is finding the common denominator!

It could be something as bizarre as the wireless chipset Apple uses doesn't play nicely with the one in your Netgear. At that point I would be looking for firmware updates for both the iPod and the Netgear ;)

Worked at a friends house perfectly. As you have said, it's probably NETGEAR :)

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Changed to Channel 09.

Ooo, touch wood, I think it has possibly improved loads!
TVCatchup hasn't stopped buffering, and YouTube seems to be working.
Just one stop, but then it recovered compared to before where it would just give up.

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

If it stays working, thank you for all your help :D

jtaylor06
22-03-2010, 00:38
Looks like it didn't fix. Reset router to factory too and still present.

Speedtest also shows it jumps to 2 Mbps then slowly falls to around 0.10 Mbps

Matt-08
27-03-2010, 18:10
Hi,

Not sure if this is of any use but I could never watch YouTube properly on my touch when I had a Netgear WNR2000.

Seems Netgear just don't like Apple, so I switched to D-Link then Linksys and had no problems.

jtaylor06
27-03-2010, 23:53
Shows some correlation with NETGEAR routers then.
However I've noticed it playing up on all laptops in the house too now :(

Ben B
28-03-2010, 00:04
Ring VM and tell them the connection keeps dropping out on several computers via the wireless on the router and they may replace it for you with a D-Link

jtaylor06
28-03-2010, 00:06
Even if it is a own purchased router which is not property of VM?
Or do you think they could swap it anyway, and then just install their own firmware on to it and put it in circulation?

Ben B
28-03-2010, 00:08
Ah right I thought it was a VM router, if you ring up they might be able to give you a free router as a good will gesture if you are on XL, or let you buy one for like £40.

jtaylor06
28-03-2010, 00:10
Haha, they will most likely suggest the second option of buying it, but it doesn't hurt to try :)

Thanks anyway,
will let the mother know :)