PDA

View Full Version : UK Timeline Caprica : Season 1

Anonymouse
22-02-2010, 15:01
Specifically, what's goin' on with the Adamas? I can understand that Joseph is hurting after losing his daughter - twice, in a sense - but sending Sam to "balance it out" by killing Amanda? This is the man who was father to Admiral William Adama? What are they playing at?

But the evolution of the Cylons makes so much sense now; that plot line is absolutely spot-on. We can now see where they got their start, and their religion - and their resentment for mankind. Zoe has now heard her own mother describe her as a terrorist, and even her father is starting to doubt. Even if she weren't dead, that would surely have hurt her beyond measure when she was already hurting - it's clear she was very much her daddy's girl. And who said she was sleeping with Ben? Amanda's rather jumping to conclusions there.
Her "mistreatment" by the lab tech didn't help, either (though to be fair he couldn't possibly have known the U-87 had a real personality trapped inside it). They should have got a clue that something weird was going on when they saw the U-87 apparently trying to escape. Didn't they tell Daniel?

The whole thing is fascinating. What was Zoe intending to do on Geminon? Why go there, of all the Twelve Worlds? What was her intent in creating an avatar of herself, and how do the Soldiers of the One know about it?

And what do they intend to use it (her?) for?

Can't wait!

Raistlin
22-02-2010, 16:45
Moved to 'TV Shows', added required prefix, designated as 'Season 1'.

Paul
22-02-2010, 17:03
Its been a bit slow after the initial pilot, but so far Im sticking with it. I think Amanda was very stupid for telling everyone on public tv that her daughter was a terrorist, when she had no actual evidence.

zing_deleted
22-02-2010, 18:04
ive given up on it myself the pilot was ok but didnt see it going anywhere TBH

NoKnowledge
22-02-2010, 18:25
I too am thinking of giving up, there is no razzmatazz, the first episode was good with the explosion but keep thinking it's gonna get better.

Did get a shock to find Josephs brother Sam is gay, a big gangster like him.

Hugh
22-02-2010, 19:22
Really enjoying it so far.

Tezcatlipoca
22-02-2010, 23:07
tbh the only reason I'm still watching it is the BSG connection. If it weren't for that, I probably would have ditched it already.

I think it's probably likely to be cancelled anyway, given its rather poor ratings.

sir_drinks_alot
22-02-2010, 23:54
Have to say i'm loveing this show hope it gets more tham 1 season

sir_drinks_alot
16-03-2010, 20:25
The show seems very scitsafrinic to me i mean one week it's very fast paced and engaging a Show drews you in and makes you care about what's going on. than the next it's slow and Unintrasting to point where you are wishing the episode would end i hope it makes up it's mind Soon as there is potential for Caprica to be as good as BSG.

colin25
16-03-2010, 20:43
Sigh..i like it as I thought Zoe is tasty...must be my taste, or..not seeing the gf for awhile :)

Not sure about story...lacks pace, actors seem a bit wooden...story has potential, but seems a bit disjointed, as if it is being made for some other purpose than to tell a story

Never watched much of battlestar galactica, except a few of the original series..hmm...i think i watched it for the babes too..I'm starting to see a pattern here...maybe i just like bad tv :)

Hugh
17-03-2010, 11:31
It seems not only was "All Along the Watchtower" embedded in our racial memory from 150,000 years ago, so was the design for the Morris Minor Traveller.... :D

From last night's "Caprica" on Sky1, about 12:40 in.

Flyboy
17-03-2010, 14:21
There was one also that got blown up in the explosion in "Gravedancing." I am enjoying seeing the dichotomy of retro' design and future technologies. I spotted a Citroen DS9 early on in the series and in BSG too.

I am particularly enjoying the cultural subtleties and how they relate to our own philosophies, inclinations and dispositions. To readily accept polygamous marriages and same sex relationships, in our society, as readily as in the "Caprica" universe, would be hard to imagine. However, this is where I fall down on the BSG connection; there seemed to be little evidence of these cultural indicators in the recent series. Personally, I would rather view "Caprica" as a stand alone drama series for now, than to directly link it to "Battlestar Galactica," for the time being. If all those who are perceiving the series from a negative perspective, looked upon it as such, perhaps it wouldn't attract as much criticism. I must admit, however, I am only up to episode four, so will reserve any judgement until I have watched enough to form a concrete opinion.

Tezcatlipoca
29-03-2010, 18:59
From the closed thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/46615-caprica-spoilers-page-2.html#post34989940

(technically alferret's post would belong in a "US timeline" thread... but we don't actually have one running, & Sky One will be up to date as of tomorrow night anyway... but until then please can no one go posting any "US timeline" spoilers in this thread, even if tagged).

Well it lasted 9 episodes and each one was like walking through treacle. I wont add any spoilers for those still watching but suffice to say I would be extremely supprised to see this pick up for another shot. It truely was dire to the extreme, they could have done so much with the cylon back story but don so little.

That wasn't the end of the season, just the end of the first half. The second half of season 1 starts in September on Syfy, with 11 episodes (Syfy like to have massive mid-season breaks for some reason).

No word yet whether it will get a second season or not... it may depend on how well season 1 part 2 does (part 1 had awful ratings). But the network have said they stand by it & have faith in it.

alferret
29-03-2010, 22:10
My bad :)

I wasnt sure that it was a break seeing as viewing figures were not what was expected and didnt it already have a break after the first few episodes IIRC (US timeline). So that would make it 2 breaks.
Still personally I feel Syfy would be wasting their money if they continue along the same production style. Story lines seem poor and really unimaginative and very, very slow. I really wanted this to work as I am a big fan of BSG but IMO it was a wasted opportunity.

Stuart
08-08-2010, 22:05
Well, I am in the process of watching this. I am thoroughly enjoying it. But then, I wasn't a massive fan of BSG for reasons I have gone into quite a bit on these forums. The characters in this series seem better defined and more believable (with the exception of the Taurons, who all seem a little like cliched Godfather rejects).

Flyboy
08-08-2010, 22:16
I think they are depicted more as Eastern European/Slavick, with a touch of Italian, Greek and Russian Jewish.

Tezcatlipoca
28-10-2010, 00:48
Caprica is dead...

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/27/breaking-syfy-cancels-caprica/

Caprica is toast. Syfy has announced that the Battlestar Galactica prequel has been canceled.

“The remaining first run episodes of Caprica – airing Tuesdays at 10/9c – will be removed from the schedule as of next Tuesday, November 2,” said the network in a statement. “These final five episodes of the season will be re-scheduled to air at a to be announced time in the first quarter of 2011, and will conclude the run of the series.”

“We appreciate all the support that fans have shown for ‘Caprica’ and are very proud of the producers, cast, writers and the rest of the amazing team that has been committed to this fine series,“ said Mark Stern, Executive Vice President of Original Programming, Syfy and Co-Head of Content for Universal Cable Productions. “Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, ‘Caprica’ has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season.”

Paul
28-10-2010, 03:04
No surprise at all. Its totally boring.

They had the chance to do a good prequal on the origin of the cylons, and messed it up completely.

Quite funny that we have to wait for the "Final Five" again ... :erm:

Mr_love_monkey
28-10-2010, 09:19
“Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality..."

I must have blinked and missed that (or fallen asleep) - I gave up after 6 episodes.

watzizname
08-11-2010, 03:59
Well, i watched the pilot, and have downloaded all the episodes, but given the strength of what i saw, haven't bothered watching any of them, as i figured there was a fair chance they'd ditch it early on.. unhappy to see i was right..

This on the other hand sounds more promising than Caprica, but given this channels history, i'll most likely be waiting to see if it runs it's course, provided it even gets off the drawing board, before i invest any of my time watching it..

SYFY GREENLIGHTS BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: BLOOD & CHROME

2-Hour Pilot Chronicles Young William Adama's Adventures in First Cylon War

NEW YORK - October 22, 2010 - Syfy is readying an exciting all-new chapter in the Battlestar Galactica saga with a greenlight for Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome from Executive Producer David Eick, it was announced today by Mark Stern, Executive Vice President of Original Programming, Syfy and Co-Head of Content for Universal Cable Productions. Universal Cable Productions will produce the 2-hour pilot with Syfy utilizing cutting edge CGI and virtual technology.

Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome takes place in the 10th year of the first Cylon war. As the battle between humans and their creation, a sentient robotic race, rages across the 12 colonial worlds, a brash rookie viper pilot enters the fray. Ensign William Adama, barely in his 20's and a recent Academy graduate, finds himself assigned to the newest battlestar in the Colonial fleet.. the Galactica. The talented but hot-headed risk-taker soon finds himself leading a dangerous top secret mission that, if successful, will turn the tide of the decade long war in favor of the desperate fleet.

"The 'Galactica' universe as re-imagined by Ron Moore and David Eick is rich with possibilities and backstory," said Mark Stern. "We jumped at the chance to revisit the William Adama character and explore this exciting chapter in the BSG narrative which falls between the events of the original series and the prequel, 'Caprica,' currently airing on Syfy."

"While maintaining the themes of politics, social propaganda, and the timeless question: what does it mean to be human? - 'Blood & Chrome' will also return us to the authentic, relentless depiction of combat and the agony and ecstasy of human-Cylon war, which was the hallmark of 'Battlestar Galactica's' early seasons," said David Eick.

Michael Taylor wrote the teleplay from a story by Eick, Taylor and Bradley Thompson & David Weddle.

Tezcatlipoca
03-12-2010, 00:24
[Ahem..."Canadian Timeline" ;) for this post. Don't see the point in starting a whole new thread now. I won't spoil anything though.]

So... for some reason, ever since Caprica was officially cancelled, each episode got better & better, week by week, until this week's season - and series - finale, "Apotheosis"...which was FRAKKING EXCELLENT :shocked: :D :cry:

If anyone gave up on it earlier in the season - Get back into it.

If anyone was originally watching it on Sky 1 & is now enduring the long wait for Sky to show the rest of season 1 (which AFAIK still has no date scheduled at all) - Screw waiting.

Seriously.

I had my doubts about the show all through the season, due to the pacing, and due to certain storylines I didn't at the time see the need of, and, tbh, due to it not being the same as BSG, but...

... in its death throes, it pulled itself together, and kicked ass.

I'd previously told myself that I was only sticking with it due to the BSG connection, & that it was something I would not bother watching again - especially once the cancellation news came through. Yet now having seen season 1 in its entirety, and having seen the shape of things to come, this really did become an excellent series, and a worthy prequel to BSG, something I would definitely watch again if having a full-on BSG-a-thon.

Paul
03-12-2010, 02:05
Hmm, I havent even noticed the other eps knocking about. Guess I need to go looking.

Tezcatlipoca
03-12-2010, 02:20
Yup. Although Syfy US pulled it from the schedules as soon as it cancelled it (with the remaining episodes due to air all on one day in the new year), a Canadian channel called "Space" carried on airing it each week, all the way to this week's season & series finale.