PDA

View Full Version : Virgin ADSL amazingly slow since activation date

mmvm
21-02-2010, 18:50
I live in an ADSL area in Northern Ireland and have had Virgin broadband since late December, but since the activation date the speeds have been really quite slow. My area is capable of 6mpbs and I don't think it's ever reached that. I understand that it could be because of peak hours and such but it's nearly always constantly slow.

I got so fed up I called up Virgin help and they directed me to a proper speed test, speedtester.bt.com. I've done it a few times now and so far it's come up: download speed: 59kpbs. That's God awful and I don't want to keep paying for this contract if the speeds are going to be this ******.

Is there anything I can do because I know if I call up again they'll give me a list of reasons of why the net is slow but I know it's not right because I know none of them are accurate.

Thanks

mmvm

smeagoly1
22-02-2010, 12:48
Get BT to do a line noise test first, and to rule out any problems at their end.

Secondly, you don't mention how far from the exchange you are, the longer distance, over copper wires the slower the DL Speed. www.samknows.com should help you on this score.

BT Speetester site should do a simple test and log if the readings are way below par, VM will ask you to do this anyway, so best done prior to a technical call.

If you post some of your modem line stats from your routers homepage, some of the techy type peeps here, could give you a much clearer explination.
Dl, Upload Attenuation, line noise etc.

btw had similar probs and got booted from BT to VM back and back again more times than I care to remember. Problem only resolved itself when some local chavs nicked most of the BT coper lines :) new BT street cable installed.....my DL speed doubled, and stayed constant, with no drop offs.
So it shows you it can be anyones fault, and two companies passing the buck.

Turkey Machine
22-02-2010, 14:07
Actually, that speed is almost indicative of VM's absurd throttling. However, regardless of that, the key things are "how far are you from the exchange", and "what are the line stats".

Chris
22-02-2010, 14:29
Can you get at the statistics for your connection and post them here? Attenuation, sync speed, noise margin in particular.