PDA

View Full Version : Motorola UBR Issue

darwin
21-02-2010, 00:44
Quick question . Is the issue with the Motorola equipment sorted ?
My internet was disconnecting all the time (since Oct) , usually twice a day . I put a post on the newsgroups and they confirmed it was the equipment at their end , but it hasnt happened in a while , at least a week.
Heres hoping anyhow.

Ignitionnet
21-02-2010, 00:52
No-one can post anything here bar speculation. Given that the newsgroup guys confirmed the issue I would suggest they are the best people to comment. They'll be able to tell if a new software has been loaded onto the Motorola kit easily enough and can check the fault ticket that was raised for it out.

Welshchris
21-02-2010, 00:54
Its still ongoing here in swansea so i was informed last week.

reference number is F001105016...

what i was told was this......
The issue is still being investigated by our network teams and Motorola.
The fault has been logged for intermittent connection drops for some
modems on Motorola chassis.

The problem what i was told by a network engineer was... for some reason where packets of data are sent down to the modem every so often to keep the connection live suddenly stop and drops the connection and wont reissue an IP address in some cases.

The problem in Swansea started in August but i do know its not only affecting Swansea, Edinburgh is also an affected area according to Virgin and they did say other areas but didnt specify.

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

No-one can post anything here bar speculation. Given that the newsgroup guys confirmed the issue I would suggest they are the best people to comment. They'll be able to tell if a new software has been loaded onto the Motorola kit easily enough and can check the fault ticket that was raised for it out.

3 software updates have taken place in Swansea since August so im told and they havnt solved it.

Ignitionnet
21-02-2010, 01:06
I would expect the BSRs to receive regular updates they are still quite young hardware in the grand scheme. These updates will not all be to resolve that issue, potentially none of them will have been as there were other high level issues that needed fixing more urgently than very occasional disconnects.

It will be affecting every BSR on the network to one degree or another in all honesty.

Welshchris
21-02-2010, 01:12
the 3 updates im on about were specifcally to try to solve this problem.

it was stated Motorolla was deploying the updates in an attempt to solve the issue.

The last was deployed in Swansea on December 18th 2009.

speedfreak
21-02-2010, 01:19
It will be affecting every BSR on the network to one degree or another in all honesty.

I think you're right there as Im on Preston UBR (or is it BSR?!) and I was told on the newsgroup...

"We do currently have an issue under investigation with the OEM of the UBR
through which your service is provided which causes intermittent losses of
connection. Is this the main issue you've been experiencing or are there
other symptoms also?"

Ignitionnet
21-02-2010, 01:24
the 3 updates im on about were specifcally to try to solve this problem.

it was stated Motorolla was deploying the updates in an attempt to solve the issue.

The last was deployed in Swansea on December 18th 2009.

There were several issues that needed resolving some of which have been by these code updates.

I'm far from convinced that any of the code upgrades were to resolve these issues given that all evidence points to Motorola not knowing what the issue is.

Thought you were leaving if it wasn't sorted by about 6 months ago anyway :p:

Welshchris
21-02-2010, 01:43
i was put back onto the CISCO kit that sorted all my problems out, i was promised to be contacted after christmas if the problem wasnt sorted so i thought it had been so i upgraded to 50mb...

Although im not having serious issues, it does drop now and then and i get an error message it cannot find the DNS also i have a problem where i only get 1.3mb upstream and Virgin dont know why.

darwin
21-02-2010, 02:49

The problem in Swansea started in August but i do know its not only affecting Swansea, Edinburgh is also an affected area according to Virgin and they did say other areas but didnt specify.

I'm in Belfast and I have been placed under that fault ref

darren.b
21-02-2010, 05:31
Here in Edinburgh the downstream sync errors have gone (and no more cut offs), but here's what's replaced it.

A downstream power level that went from +1dBmV to 9.2dBmV in the space of 3 months, an upstream that went from 45dBmV to 52.0dBmv and somehow I am still getting "A" on pingtest and top speeds. No longer booted off the pipe when it fancies it, it just keeps running, those power levels scare me though.

Speeds are still top notch too. Is this normal?

I get the "flashing ready light" about 25% of the time.

Ed2020
21-02-2010, 08:06
Here in Edinburgh the downstream sync errors have gone (and no more cut offs), but here's what's replaced it.

A downstream power level that went from +1dBmV to 9.2dBmV in the space of 3 months, an upstream that went from 45dBmV to 52.0dBmv and somehow I am still getting "A" on pingtest and top speeds. No longer booted off the pipe when it fancies it, it just keeps running, those power levels scare me though.

Speeds are still top notch too. Is this normal?

I get the "flashing ready light" about 25% of the time.

This is exactly what I've noticed too. My connection's been a bit flaky for a couple of months - regular (albeit brief) disconnections or hangs, download speeds fluctuating rapidly between the full 20mb and about 10mb. I just haven't got around to contacting anyone about it.

It now seems to be fine. In fact better than it was previously - download and uploads are back to what they should be and pingtest.net is reporting excellent results:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/10909193.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

My power levels are considerably higher than they were before though. Still within acceptable ranges, but towards the upper end of them.

Ed.

Welshchris
21-02-2010, 21:23
well just hope they do what they did there to the BSRs everywhere else

darwin
21-02-2010, 22:36
I've put a post on the newsgroups asking the help team is there any movement on this.
Will check for replies tomorrow.

MadK9
22-02-2010, 09:14
Well it definitely not fixed here in Southampton. Tried downloading the Starcraft II beta, and got 32 T3 timeouts and about 6 modem reboots. Just sick of this tbh, i have a net that's usable but i just cant download anything, i have 4 games pre-ordered on steam for march, i am dreading trying to actually get them from steam...

Ignitionnet
22-02-2010, 09:15
Well it definitely not fixed here in Southampton. Tried downloading the Starcraft II beta, and got 32 T3 timeouts and about 6 modem reboots. Just sick of this tbh, i have a net that's usable but i just cant download anything, i have 4 games pre-ordered on steam for march, i am dreading trying to actually get them from steam...

Ah I have seen that on my 50M here in Mortlake. Heavy usage = disconnection, it's great. Haven't used heavily in a while though so maybe it's fixed here.

MadK9
22-02-2010, 09:27
Ah I see that even now on my 50M here in Mortlake. Heavy usage = disconnection, it's great.

Doesn't even have to be heavy usage imho, i went to grab the latest Nvidia drivers the other day, i had managed to get 1.2meg then net went bang... its like they dont want us to download at all..

Its strange as well, i actually managed to download DoW2 from Steam at full speed 2 nights ago without an issue (4.1gig), yet 2 hours later i tried to install Company of Heroes from steam and suffered DC's for about 30mins until i gave up.. Its so intermittent, and with 4 other people using the net here at home, its just a nightmare as i never know when its going to go off, even though they have been told to announce any downloads they want to start, its inevitable that some Windows Update, Virus update starts then the shouting starts, how was downloading...

What gets my goat up about this, is im still paying the same price for a product that only 50% works, yet according to CS my net is working so i cant have any reductions... yet i quoted the REF number....

Ignitionnet
22-02-2010, 09:49
Why even ask for discounts? If it breaks so much get rid as it's clearly not fit for purpose, stuff paying less get something that works.

Nothing personal to you by the way sir it just confuses me that people have services which aren't fit to be called a 'service' and ask for discounts on them meaning they still fail to perform they just pay less for the failure.

pabscars
22-02-2010, 10:58
i get an error message it cannot find the DNS also i have a problem where i only get 1.3mb upstream and Virgin dont know why.

I got this last night, and everything on my network got booted off, then a quick reboot and service was resumed.

Re: the upstream, Ive been told its to do with spikes in utilisation and that its not bad enough yet to warrant a fix, which can only mean one thing.

Its gonna get worse.

Ive also been told I,m not on the Motorola kit, so what broadbandings said about it affecting all BSR's rings true

Pantsu-san
22-02-2010, 14:46
they just pay less for the failure.

Or, in some cases, they don't pay at all ;)

Welshchris
23-02-2010, 16:30
I got this last night, and everything on my network got booted off, then a quick reboot and service was resumed.

Re: the upstream, Ive been told its to do with spikes in utilisation and that its not bad enough yet to warrant a fix, which can only mean one thing.

Its gonna get worse.

Ive also been told I,m not on the Motorola kit, so what broadbandings said about it affecting all BSR's rings true

I think utilization does play a part in some of the issues also.

once or twice last week during the holidays when there would obviously be more people using the net i had a number of problems again where usually its not that bad phaps it reboots twice a week usually.

III
24-02-2010, 12:19
Its still ongoing here in swansea so i was informed last week.

what i was told was this......
The issue is still being investigated by our network teams and Motorola.
The fault has been logged for intermittent connection drops for some
modems on Motorola chassis.

The problem what i was told by a network engineer was... for some reason where packets of data are sent down to the modem every so often to keep the connection live suddenly stop and drops the connection and wont reissue an IP address in some cases.

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

3 software updates have taken place in Swansea since August so im told and they havnt solved it.

That ticket reference is for a BSR in Scotland, you are clearly confused sir.

Welshchris
24-02-2010, 12:47
i think if u check my post on the newsgroups that is what i was given and so was another poster on here given the same refrence for the same issue in BELFAST.

So they must be putting it all under the same refrence number.

III
24-02-2010, 17:02
<cruise control on>

I CHECKED IT MYSELF AND THAT FAULT REFERENCE IS FOR A BSR IN SCOTLAND AND NOT A NATIONWIDE FAULT!

<cruise control off>

BTW, using capitols does not make you right or because it is seen as the text equivalent to shouting, fear me into agreeing with you.

Welshchris
24-02-2010, 18:01
im just stating what i along with a few others including what someone else on here in Belfast has been given by Virgin.

darwin
24-02-2010, 19:59
<cruise control on>

I CHECKED IT MYSELF AND THAT FAULT REFERENCE IS FOR A BSR IN SCOTLAND AND NOT A NATIONWIDE FAULT!

<cruise control off>

BTW, using capitols does not make you right or because it is seen as the text equivalent to shouting, fear me into agreeing with you.

Well you clearly havent been on the Virgin Media newsgroups , as there are loads of people from all over the UK , myself included , who have put under that fault ref.

speedfreak
24-02-2010, 20:11
With regards to the fault ref, I can confirm that on the newsgroups 2nd line said about Preston, lancs BSR....

The issue logged under F001105016 is causing intermittent loss of
connection and is being investigated by Motorola who provide the chassis
type that this issue is happening on. We are unable to provide a theory
as to why this is happening but as mentioned Motorola are looking into
this for us.

Welshchris
24-02-2010, 21:29
They must be issuing it all under the same reference number for same fault.

III
24-02-2010, 22:03
If there is a fault being investigated as a Motorola BSR issue then its not under the reference you quoted Chris.
That is for two instances on a BSR in Scotland.

Welshchris
24-02-2010, 22:10
if thats the case why have these people in Preston and Lancs etc also been put on the same reference for the issues on their BSR?

III
24-02-2010, 22:21
That's not for me to find out or even care about, it's for you to get the correct reference so you may chase the progress.

It would seem the fault and fault reference you have been chasing for months has been resolved since there have been 5 code updates to the Moto kit ;)

Moto maybe doing some analysis, though you can be sure that since the 'BSR fault' is so limited that investigation into local network would also be done. With that said, its not correct to call this a BRS fault since the root cause has not been discovered.

Ignitionnet
24-02-2010, 22:23
That's not for me to find out or even care about, it's for you to get the correct reference so you may chase the progress.

It would seem the fault and fault reference you have been chasing for months has been resolved since there have been 5 code updates to the Moto kit ;)

At least two of those were security patches, another one fixed cosmetic issues amongst other things. Another added additional line card support. Unsure about number 5 but given the T3/T4 issue is still under investigation it would appear Motorola can't replicate. :)

III
24-02-2010, 22:26
I'm not willing to post what the 5th is on a forum. You are correct on all counts you have posted sir.

Welshchris
24-02-2010, 22:57
all im saying is that why would Virgin give the same reference number to so many people if they wernt putting the issues under the same number? I could understand them making a mistake an issuing it to one or maybe two people but not so many.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

At least two of those were security patches, another one fixed cosmetic issues amongst other things. Another added additional line card support. Unsure about number 5 but given the T3/T4 issue is still under investigation it would appear Motorola can't replicate. :)

tell em to go and sit in someones house and watch would be the easiest way LOL.

III
24-02-2010, 23:02
With all due respect Chris the amount of people who queried this fault on the groups, I could count on one hand. ( I lurk on the groups you see ;) )

Its very possible that the reference and 'fault' is still open for investigation, that investigation would include as I said local networks; from BSR right down to drop cable.

Non of this changes the fact that what you are referencing is for just two instances in Scotland.

Ignitionnet
24-02-2010, 23:07
tell em to go and sit in someones house and watch would be the easiest way LOL.

Sadly that would just be 'observation' not 'replication'. Replication has to be done in controlled environments to eliminate things such as local network fluctuations, CPE issues, etc. Basically a known good modem plugged into a splitter which then goes straight to a BSR via a lot of attenuators.

Welshchris
25-02-2010, 00:01
With all due respect Chris the amount of people who queried this fault on the groups, I could count on one hand. ( I lurk on the groups you see ;) )

Its very possible that the reference and 'fault' is still open for investigation, that investigation would include as I said local networks; from BSR right down to drop cable.

Non of this changes the fact that what you are referencing is for just two instances in Scotland.

Well it doesnt change the fact either that people from Preston, Lancs and Belfast aswell as myself in Swansea were given the same reference number for the same fault either.

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Sadly that would just be 'observation' not 'replication'. Replication has to be done in controlled environments to eliminate things such as local network fluctuations, CPE issues, etc. Basically a known good modem plugged into a splitter which then goes straight to a BSR via a lot of attenuators.

Whats the point of testing a good modem when they should be testing one with a fault, kind of defeats the object lol ;)

Peter_
25-02-2010, 00:07
Well it doesnt change the fact either that people from Preston, Lancs and Belfast aswell as myself in Swansea were given the same reference number for the same fault either.

Well they were given incorrect information then as they cannot all be connected to the same kit.

Whats the point of testing a good modem when they should be testing one with a fault, kind of defeats the object lol ;)
Are you for real!:erm:

They use a good modem to ensure the accuracy of any test, if they used a duff modem how would they know were the fault was.:erm:

Ignitionnet
25-02-2010, 00:30

Interests Computer Hardware
Occupation IT Tech

As you're quite nocturnal unsure if you're between jobs at the moment but if you aren't I kinda hope you don't work in a support role as troubleshooting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubleshooting) doesn't appear to be your strong suit.

Troubleshooting is a form of problem solving most often applied to repair of failed products or processes. It is a logical, systematic search for the source of a problem so that it can be solved, and so the product or process can be made operational again. Troubleshooting is needed to develop and maintain complex systems where the symptoms of a problem can have many possible causes. Troubleshooting is used in many fields such as engineering, system administration, electronics, automotive repair, and diagnostic medicine. Troubleshooting requires identification of the malfunction(s) or symptoms within a system. Then, experience is commonly used to generate possible causes of the symptoms. Determining which cause is most likely is often a process of elimination - eliminating potential causes of a problem. Finally, troubleshooting requires confirmation that the solution restores the product or process to its working state.

Using a known good modem eliminates the modem as a cause, plugging the modem basically straight into a CMTS eliminates HFC leaving only CMTS and associated software / hardware. If fault cannot be replicated CMTS as a stand-alone root cause eliminated and search for a trigger for the fault from HFC layer begins.

Translating this into your interest of computer hardware if a PC doesn't boot and doesn't give much clue why you either change the components out for known good ones, one at a time, until it does boot or remove unnecessary components one at a time, ensuring that the original components are always replaced before removing the next one.

Same process dealing with faulty RAM when you have multiple sticks, remove one and see if POST still whines, put it back and remove another, etc, until POST is successful. Same story here just different scale, methodical, controlled elimination of potential causes one at a time which requires full control of the test environment.

Welshchris
25-02-2010, 00:45
FFS! cant u people take a joke!!!

And as for them giving out wrong info Moldova, it seems weird they have given out wrong info to so many people, so someone somewhere has put that reference number into the systems for the national BSR issues.

Peter_
25-02-2010, 08:05
FFS! cant u people take a joke!!!

And as for them giving out wrong info Moldova, it seems weird they have given out wrong info to so many people, so someone somewhere has put that reference number into the systems for the national BSR issues.
I do know when you are joking Chris hence the the blue smilies.;):D

Those people giving out duff info are the issue as they are taking the easy route just to get you off the phone.:mad:

Those people annoy me because they cause you to call back into the centre.:mad:

darwin
27-02-2010, 19:30
There is apost on the newsgroups suggesting that the fault is being upgraded to a national fault.

Welshchris
27-02-2010, 19:32
thats because it is !