PDA

View Full Version : Moving BB point

Hornet
20-02-2010, 09:34
I know nothing about computers so hopefully someone can advise, thanks

My BB enters a room we have PC in at moment and goes from entry point about a metre to a wireless router then into PC via wire too as next to each other.

I now want to change use of this room to a bedroom and move PC to another room. Do I need VM to come and move the wire on outside of house to the room PC moved to?

Or can wireless router stay in bedroom without PC and send signal to rest of house still? i.e wireless router right next to enrty point sitting under kids bed?

Thanks

g0at
20-02-2010, 09:40
Morning Horent.

Yeah, you can leave your router where it is, it will transmit wirelessly around the house. You will however need a wireless adapter for your PC, as it will no longer be connected to your router via ethernet (network) cable.

You can pick these up for next to nothing these days. (http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&subcat=1020&q=usb%2Bwireless%2Badaptor&limit=10&page=1)

I would consider the positioning of the wireless router though, it's advisable not to leave them in the corner of a room, or at a low level such as under any sofas etc.

It's likely that you will notice a small degredation in speed / webpage response / loading times.

edit: Before you move your PC to the other room you will need to enable the wireless capabilites of the router (they're usually disabled by default) Obviously the only way your PC can speak to your router currently is through the network / ethernet cable. So, to summarise, you'll have to load up a web-page, access your router from this (it will have an ip address you can just type into the url bar of your browser) from there you will be able to enable the router's wireless capabilites and set a password for your wireless network.

Good luck!

Hornet
20-02-2010, 14:19
Thanks for help.

I have web page access already because I turn it on now and again for wireless Wii access. So leave it on, stick adaptor in PC in new location and all will work? Will adaptor require password entry that matches router? Presume that easy once all on?

So then router will quite happily sit in room on forever with no PC connected directly? If I buy laptop all I need to connect is the router password again?

Thanks again

pip08456
20-02-2010, 15:00
Thanks for help.

I have web page access already because I turn it on now and again for wireless Wii access. So leave it on, stick adaptor in PC in new location and all will work? Will adaptor require password entry that matches router? Presume that easy once all on?

So then router will quite happily sit in room on forever with no PC connected directly? If I buy laptop all I need to connect is the router password again?

Thanks again

You've got it in one.

broadbandking
20-02-2010, 15:44
I know nothing about computers so hopefully someone can advise, thanks

My BB enters a room we have PC in at moment and goes from entry point about a metre to a wireless router then into PC via wire too as next to each other.

I now want to change use of this room to a bedroom and move PC to another room. Do I need VM to come and move the wire on outside of house to the room PC moved to?

Or can wireless router stay in bedroom without PC and send signal to rest of house still? i.e wireless router right next to enrty point sitting under kids bed?

Thanks

Just a quick note on moving your broadband point, if you wanted to keep them wired like you currently do, VM will move this for you for a charge of £99, or you can do this yourself as its just coax cable, but if you break the service by doing it yourself then its £99 charge.

Wireless speeds may not be up to standard as many things can interfere with wireless.