PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Cutting Sky Cable

shep_3o
20-02-2010, 06:15
Hi All,

New to the forum, however I've been lurking around for a while.

Just thought I'd post about an issue I had during my services installation to see, out of interest, if anyone else has experienced the same.

When the Virgin engineer came to install our services (we had all 3 with them after moving from Sky/BT) he cut the coax cable running from the Sky satellite dish and removed the connection box (not sure of the technical name) inside our home and ran the virgin line through the existing Sky drilled hole.

This happened about 3 years ago, and at the time we we're happy with what we were receiving from Virgin so didn't complain. It just recently came to light again as I've been looking at some of the packages Sky are offering and realised that should we decide to move over to them, we would have to pay another installation charge.

I can't see any technical reason why this should be done other than saving him drilling a hole. Virgins newsgroup support have said this isn't standard practice, but I wonder if any of you have experienced the same?

If so, did you complain? What happened?

Cheers,
Shep_3o

jfman
20-02-2010, 11:41
I suspect 3 years down the line you are going to be hard pushed getting anything for your "complaint".

Also, with Sky giving away a shiny new HD box for £49, you are better taking Sky up on a new customer offer rather than reconnecting with existing equipment.

Peter_
20-02-2010, 12:09
I suspect 3 years down the line you are going to be hard pushed getting anything for your "complaint".

Also, with Sky giving away a shiny new HD box for £49, you are better taking Sky up on a new customer offer rather than reconnecting with existing equipment.
You can actually get it for free and many of the links here are offering free installation and a £25 shopping voucher. (http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&source=hp&q=sky+hd+box&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=sky+hd+box&fp=ed2da362f50470f2)

Digital Fanatic
20-02-2010, 12:23
Hi All,

New to the forum, however I've been lurking around for a while.

Just thought I'd post about an issue I had during my services installation to see, out of interest, if anyone else has experienced the same.

When the Virgin engineer came to install our services (we had all 3 with them after moving from Sky/BT) he cut the coax cable running from the Sky satellite dish and removed the connection box (not sure of the technical name) inside our home and ran the virgin line through the existing Sky drilled hole.

This happened about 3 years ago, and at the time we we're happy with what we were receiving from Virgin so didn't complain. It just recently came to light again as I've been looking at some of the packages Sky are offering and realised that should we decide to move over to them, we would have to pay another installation charge.

I can't see any technical reason why this should be done other than saving him drilling a hole. Virgins newsgroup support have said this isn't standard practice, but I wonder if any of you have experienced the same?

If so, did you complain? What happened?

Cheers,
Shep_3o

They usually ask before doing this as most people don't want more holes drilled in their walls... when we got installed in this address the installer asked me if he could remove to roof antenna cable to run the (Telewest) VM cable through to save more holes in the wall - I agreed to it.

No doubt someones gonna post on here saying it's criminal damage etc :rolleyes:

As others have said it's best getting a new box etc from Sky if thats the route you want to go down :)

jungleguy
21-02-2010, 00:39
SKY HD will require new cable anyway

Graham M
21-02-2010, 02:51
SKY HD will require new cable anyway

Unless the original install was Sky+ of course

calmpitbull
23-02-2010, 21:57
Yep the installer probably just wanted to save time drilling another hole :(

Sky do it to us as well which is very frustrating as sometimes you have to renew the whole cable because of this, I always drill an extra hole to stop any of this happening which is what should happen.

One of my pet hates!