PDA

View Full Version : Poor connection while browsing.

iConBOY
19-02-2010, 12:05
Over the last 2 days I've noticed that my connection is very poor. I'm not wireless, I'm using cables to connection between the PC and router. (Router model NetGear Wireless-G WGR616)

When I'm browsing using Firefox sometimes it will take a good 20 seconds or more to get onto a website. I've unplugged all my cable leads and left then for well over an hour.

Pages just keep timing out, it's only recently this has happened. I've just come home and plugged all cables back in but still getting very poor connection.

Any suggetions would be welcome, thanks!.

marcroberts
19-02-2010, 12:17
Getting similar problem here in london (SW20). Was like this most of yesterday, then connection dropped for about an hour. Today is no better, can't stream last.fm at all but at least it hasn't dropped

iConBOY
19-02-2010, 12:27
It's really annoying, annoying to the point where I just wanna change ISP. I've had so many problems with VM this year it's untrue.

Youtube is another website that will not work, all videos that are played seem to go slow (not the connection, but the actual video itself)

Sigh.

marcroberts
19-02-2010, 12:35
I've had this a few times over the last few months. It goes away eventually, i've called support about it before. They'll book an engineer who won't be able to come for 4-10 days, by then its working and they say there's nothing wrong.

Here's my '50' meg connection currently:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/02/16.png http://www.pingtest.net/result/10770236.png

iConBOY
19-02-2010, 13:00
It's still not good enough, for the money you pay you expect the service to be good, not poor. I use their service and pay £20 a month. If it continues I will be looking elsewhere.

Welshchris
19-02-2010, 13:28
have u tried reporting it on the newsgroups to see if its an outage?

notovm
20-02-2010, 23:27
I get same problem from 2 months. if i open 3-4 tabs in firefox it slows down and won't let me do anything...
tested the speed on speedtest.net. its 3.4 Download & 0.02 Upload. I'm paying for 10Mbps.
THANK GOD I'VE N'T SIGNEDUP FOR OTHER VM SERVICES.:erm:
My friend warned me as he's an existing customer. but i ignored him then..:o:

Rang up virgin media on 0845 number after a puzzle game, like choosing various options (tech team option at the end) the line got cut. (3-4 times on friday&sat) :mad::rolleyes:

can any one suggest how to get speed connection (i need upload speed at least 120kbps)
My location Hounslow (TW3)
Modem - Scientific atlanta router - netgear wgr614

thanks