PDA

View Full Version : when i plug lan cable into comp windows wont load

shrek
19-02-2010, 01:36
:( Hi just had this fault happen turned on my computers hangs at the welcome screen strange

disconnect frthe ethernet cable windows loads properly, got on to virgin
they cant help , help

Kymmy
19-02-2010, 07:33
Boot with cable disconnected and then check ALL of your network settings, also remove and reinstall the NIC, could be a corrupt driver or a virus/spyware has put in place a program that's accessing the net on boot. (probably the former than the latter, but has been known to happen)

Dai
19-02-2010, 09:29
My first thought was spyware/virus damage.

I'd scan with a selection of different tools then try tcp reset once you're confident the machine is clean.
There's plenty of info on the forums here about recommended cleaning tools.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357#letmefixit

Welshchris
19-02-2010, 09:57
check ur boot settings arnt set to boot to LAN first

shrek
24-02-2010, 15:59
Thank you all for your advice had engineer booked but cancelled then it worked ?
Tried all machines for spyware etc all ok

but now getting random disconections ,

Kymmy
24-02-2010, 16:00
Could be a hardware problem with the NIC, overheating or a dry joint

Spectato
24-02-2010, 18:23
I've had faulty network adapters (hardware fault) that would crash a machine or even prevent booting altogether, but it does sound like a bad/corrupt driver, particularly because of where it's hanging your computer (at the welcome screen).

As Kymmy suggests, try just uninstalling the network adapter in question from Device Manager and letting Windows reinstall the device after a reboot.
It's amazing how often this 'fixes' a device problem.
You can also try physically removing the card (if it is a separate card) from its slot and reseating it firmly (a couple of times), with the machine and power off!

eth01
24-02-2010, 18:29
it's booting from LAN most likely - check your bios. whats the motherboard?

Kymmy
24-02-2010, 21:47
it's booting from LAN most likely - check your bios. whats the motherboard?

It'd never get to the Welcome Screen if lan booting :rolleyes: Unless he's got a terminal server there somewhere :doh:

shrek
25-02-2010, 01:36
Hi thank you all for your help me being a newbie has never had this problem

but i have fixed this fault by removing ethernet card and replacing but still get bad drop outs on my v box i have checked the cable outside and wate rproofed it but still getting random disconnecting. I am fed up ringing the call center because i keep getting the normam Vm script turn off etc..

Kymmy
26-02-2010, 19:37
Vbox post copied to this thread

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33662101-v-box-dropouts.html

All other posts answering this problem moved there

shrek
02-03-2010, 13:43
Hi , My motherboard is a cheap foxconn Its all working now dont know how it went wrong
But many thanks for all your help thank you..

Many hours spent but still dont know what caused it ?