PDA

View Full Version : 20mb Speeds - Not Yet

markd1
18-02-2010, 22:28
Hi
New Virgin Customer here. Installed Tues.

The install guy did not run a cable from my home to the street. Instead jumped on my neighbours cable feed and split from his box into mine He was not impressed and nor was I when I found out.
They are coming back in 2 weeks.

My question: Will that have an impact on my speed as I have not seen anything higher than 10 and on average im getting 4. A bit frustrating.

Tech support after 8 i have noticed is terrible. get cut off or give really poor advice.

Heres hoping for faster speeds or I may as well downgrade to the 10mb service.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Mark

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Just to add some more info
I am in the Morden Area , SM4 and my modem is a WebSTAR EPC2100R2.
I can get to its home page on 192.168.100.1 but when I click on the Logs tab I get this..

This feature is not enabled.
This feature has not been enabled in your cable modem.

Any ideas how to view the logs on this modem?

Thanks

Mark

Sephiroth
18-02-2010, 23:46
Try http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp

Change access level to 2
Password: W2402

Anyway, you should complain at the highest level in VM (the CEO) see http://www.ceoemail.com/].

Alternatively call 150 and choose cancellation and argue the toss with them.

Tapping you off the neighbour is a can of worms for both of you as they'll blame you for anything that goes wrong from now on.

Can you tell us why they did that slave connexion? You'll be reducing their SNR and yours won't be optimum.

markd1
18-02-2010, 23:55
thanks for the reply. i asked why and the engineer said it was normal. I smelled a rat. I asked if the service would be affected. he said no. I rang straight away to ask for a visit to get it sorted. the install inside the home is fine but outside is not. he did not fill any holes with mastik or anything and a very old telewest box was on my wall (no cable connected - long gone) . he ran a cable from my neighbours box into old telewest box. its half off the wall. lots of rain will get into that...

my modem reading is as follows -

Receive Power Level
16.2 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
43.5 dBmV
is that normal? could u explain what it means so when i next speak to them they cant fob me off with a load of crap like they did last night.

thanks a million

Sephiroth
19-02-2010, 00:21
The engineer should be shot after being fired, IMO. You should complain at the highest level and provide his name.

Anything above 8 dBmv will distort your downstream signal abd you'll be constantly seeking retransmits - hence lower speeds. Your neighbour's prolly got a 15 dB attenuator on the other side of their wall.

It is possible, I suppose, that the engineer took his decision based on the knowledge that your neighbour's house is close to the street box and has high downstream power and so there is margin for him to do what he did. Is that right or am I well off the mark?

But consider this. Your wall box is shot to hell. Damp gets in and you start to corrode. A diode effect begins and before you know what, you've got RF ingress or impedance mismatch which can set up all sorts and affect the whole street - IMO..

What's more, if the neighbour didn't sign a wayleave, he's entitled to rip your connection out if he thinks his performance is suffering.

Then mice can get into your house, or ants at least .......

You have to complain at the highest level becasue otherwise you'll be bashing your head against a brick wall.

markd1
19-02-2010, 12:54
thanks for that..im going to complain...i got somewhere in that they are coming back to do a new cable on the 6th march so I guess I will have to wait and see if that improves the service.

i told them that they have to sort out the box too...

one more chance....

this forum is great thanks for the help thus far..im sure i will need more..

mark