PDA

View Full Version : I'm so greedy

shenfrey
17-02-2010, 15:20
I am on 50MB and i am currently downloading Allods Online which weighs in at 2.4GB and i am downloading at 6.0/MB/sec and its about done, been downloading for 5 minutes, only 200MB left lol and well, here i am looking at how fast i am taring through these MBS but.. i want more. I want to go faster, i want it to be done faster, lol i dunno why i'm just greedy i suppose.

Do you ever think there will come a time where we won't want to go faster, that we will be at a speed where its enough to satisfy us forever, i mean depending on how the internet evolves overtime, i can see us needing more and more speeds but surely theres only so fast you can go untill its, well, overkill.

I would think 1 GB/s is probably the fastest we will ever want to go, and well, Japan are already ahead on that one lol

Jonathan90
17-02-2010, 15:42
You will always want faster its just in our nature lol

Sneck
17-02-2010, 18:02
You have to remember that it is not only broadband speeds which are getting 'bigger' so is everything.

So with Blurays video files can be bigger, with HD they need to be bigger. Hard drives are getting bigger so games and software are getting bigger. With average broadband speeds increasing websites and streams are getting bigger.

Everything is getting bigger so everything else has to get bigger and faster.

So to answer your question, I will never be satisfied, give me more!!!

Kymmy
17-02-2010, 18:04
I don't think people all want to go faster, but most people don't like to wait..

AntiSilence
17-02-2010, 19:04
I'd rather have a stable, solid connection with a good upload speed over a faster download speed. I'm on 20Mb and it's solid most of the time, with only the odd drop out. I would be happier with more upload bandwidth than more download.

colin25
17-02-2010, 19:06
Agree with Antisilence, I am happy with download speed (circa 20), but want more upload...size is everything when you want it up :)

(gaming wise)

pip08456
17-02-2010, 19:42
Agree with Antisilence, I am happy with download speed (circa 20), but want more upload...size is everything when you want it up :)

(gaming wise)

Me too and nicely put colin

broadbandking
17-02-2010, 21:03
I was under the impression that upload doesn't need to be that fast really for games, I know a slow upload will effect but surely it only use a small amount of bandwidth, maybe I am wrong, so answer this if I have a 5Mb upload would it use all that or just a small amount?

colin25
17-02-2010, 21:10
not an expert, but if you play games where you are the host, then upload is crucial

I like mw2, killing random people (as opposed to killing people randomly) is my thing.

Turkey Machine
17-02-2010, 21:43
Just my 2 pennies worth, but I'm happy with anything up to 100Mbit. Anything over that is just overkill, quite frankly, and if it's symmetrical the better! Now that I'd pay good money for!!!

Sleeper919
18-02-2010, 22:00
Just hook the internet up to my brain. Then I can actually explore cyberspace. If you go on a dodgy website then a trojan might infect you - this will be represented by pesky gnats that bite you and leave malicious code that makes you ill.

No wait, scrap that.

Spectato
20-02-2010, 04:07
Once all the pirate media (w@rez) has been purged by media nazis (record and movie company lobbyists, Peter bloody Mandelson etc.), most people will probably be quite happy with 2Mb.

I don't think the average Joe is too concerned about crazy speeds.
Most people just want a reasonably priced and consistent service.

broadbandking
20-02-2010, 15:58
Once all the pirate media (w@rez) has been purged by media nazis (record and movie company lobbyists, Peter bloody Mandelson etc.), most people will probably be quite happy with 2Mb.

I don't think the average Joe is too concerned about crazy speeds.
Most people just want a reasonably priced and consistent service.

The illegal warez downloading will never stop, more measures to stop it will engourage people to come up with new ways to download and break the system, downloading illegally will never be stopped, maybe slowed but never stopped.

So ISP will always want faster speeds, and people will continue to want faster speeds.

As for the internet, new and better ideas of how the web can be used are been released all the time, in years to come the web will be used for so many things, so in turn faster speeds will be needed, even if they did stop illegal p2p, there will be other services that require a high speed.

Spectato
20-02-2010, 23:06
The illegal warez downloading will never stop
Yeah, I know this.
Just a touch of irony!
Like discussing speeds faster than 50Mb (in the UK) when the ISPs are still struggling to provide 8Mb (not to mention the laughable upload speeds).

Ignitionnet
22-02-2010, 09:38
The illegal warez downloading will never stop, more measures to stop it will engourage people to come up with new ways to download and break the system, downloading illegally will never be stopped, maybe slowed but never stopped.

Slowing down is the idea, not stopping. It's too mainstream now when people who can barely switch a PC on are leeching half the internet from newsgroups and a not insignificant proportion of people are doing >500GB/month. Especially relevant to Virgin given the genius price cut and lack of restrictions or detrimental use on 50M whose main purpose at the moment is to pull warez from Usenet.