PDA

View Full Version : Chav Media Coming Soon?

Ignitionnet
16-02-2010, 20:40
If the guys behind this gem (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2851682/Virgins-cheeky-jibe-at-rivals-BT.html) have anything to do with it it would appear so.

I gave Virgin the following suggestion in their feedback newsgroup:

Presumably when you launch 100Mbit you'll have a woman's breasts for the two 0's in 100, maybe a man's appendage for the 1?

Just to be doubly sure I get paid in case they do decide to run with more Sunday Sport style advertising.

Tony.
16-02-2010, 20:53
I think the most important part of that story was this:-

Executive director of broadband at Virgin Media Jon James said: "This cheeky stunt was simply a humorous way to get across a serious message — that customers should demand what they are being promised from their internet providers."

Hmmmmmmmmm Kettle, pot, black anyone? :erm:

Sephiroth
16-02-2010, 21:15
If the guys behind this gem (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2851682/Virgins-cheeky-jibe-at-rivals-BT.html) have anything to do with it it would appear so.

Presumably when you launch 100Mbit you'll have a woman's breasts for the two 0's in 100, maybe a man's appendage for the 1?

Just to be doubly sure I get paid in case they do decide to run with more Sunday Sport style advertising.

In the Grauniad that would have been 010.

Derek
16-02-2010, 21:15
Classy advertising there. :rolleyes:

punky
16-02-2010, 21:28
Typical Branson-esque advert. Remember the Virgin Atlantic 25th anniversary advert?

Here's a link as its always worth watching again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cM4EOeJzHA

I like things that are a bit politically incorrect. No harm in it.

Ignitionnet
16-02-2010, 21:59
I remember that advert quite well. I can't remember where it had a bunch of arses lined up in the street, it was a cool nostalgia trip while this is just vulgar Page 3 / Sunday Sport material. Had the flight attendants been wandering along with their baps out I might see what you are saying but as is I don't see any comparison.

m419
16-02-2010, 22:01

I love it! its about time advertising was made fun, having to sit through those Sky broadband ads bored me to death, the worst and most boring TV ad i've seen is the Sainsbury's ad about a roast chicken in the 90's, to this day it I can see it making 2 cans of Red bull fall asleep.

Digital Fanatic
16-02-2010, 22:04
Saucy! :blush:

Ignitionnet
16-02-2010, 22:04
I love it! its about time advertising was made fun, having to sit through those Sky broadband ads bored me to death, the worst and most boring TV ad i've seen is the Sainsbury's ad about a roast chicken in the 90's, to this day it I can see it making 2 cans of Red bull fall asleep.

To be fair Virgin Media could sacrifice babies as part of a campaign and you'd say it were great advertising so long as it were them doing it.

I guess I must be getting old and/or a prude. Just seems utterly vulgar to me and somewhat embarrassing to be a customer of the Sunday Sport of ISPs.

Next presumably will be Roy 'Chubby' Brown as spokesman.

Mod Edit: This forum is intended to be family friendly - excessive profanity is unacceptable and has been deleted

Digital Fanatic
16-02-2010, 22:07
To be fair Virgin Media could sacrifice babies as part of a campaign and you'd say it were great advertising so long as it were them doing it.

I guess I must be getting old and/or a prude. Just seems utterly vulgar to me.

It's a "lads" advert... aimed at a certain type of customer :D

Peter_
16-02-2010, 22:11

Already posted about this item in this other thread HERE (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34964940-post22.html):D:D:D:D:D:D

Ignitionnet
16-02-2010, 22:15
I know Moldova that's where I got it from. It's gone down wonderfully in the newsgroups.

Please add my name to the feedback. This was in appallingly bad taste.
+1
And another.
and another...

Also kindly feedback to Jon James it's current user base want to know why he's not urgently looking at why his words appear "hollow" in light of the growing number of Usenet users who feel VM is not "delivering on the promise he made on behalf of VM"

<quote>
Executive director of broadband at Virgin Media Jon James said: "This cheeky stunt was simply a humorous way to get across a serious message — that customers should demand what they are being promised from their internet providers."
<unquote>

He may feel the stunt was humorous but many users will feel insulted by the school boy humour when their VM services "fail" to match the idea given by the stunt.

"This cheeky stunt was simply a humorous way to get across a serious message — that customers should demand what they are being promised from their internet providers."

Does this mean that the ridiculous STM is going and you are going to
upgrade UBRs to actually work during full use?

Peter_
16-02-2010, 22:18
I know Moldova that's where I got it from. It's gone down wonderfully in the newsgroups.
I know and it is very tacky to say the least and I find it funny that it has a new lease of life here.;)

III
16-02-2010, 23:23
I'm shocked they haven't re-branded: TV, Phone, broadband & mobile phone as 4-play. *sigh*

Ben B
16-02-2010, 23:27
Think people are being a bit cynical here. It's just as Jon James said - a humorous way of putting a point across

III
16-02-2010, 23:29
How much did that little stunt cost?
However much, it would have been better spent on network upgrades or God forbid better training for some of their staff.

Ben B
16-02-2010, 23:32
However much, it would have been better spent on network upgrades or God forbid better training for some of their staff.
Ahem, how much publicity is that stunt gonna gain them? More new customers = more money FOR THE NETWORK UPGRADES

pip08456
16-02-2010, 23:36

Now THAT"S funny!

Ignitionnet
16-02-2010, 23:41
Ahem, how much publicity is that stunt gonna gain them? More new customers = more money FOR THE NETWORK UPGRADES

I would speculate most of the people so amused by such crass ***** that they want to sign up to VM can only afford to pay the bare minimum or will be needing to replace their dodgy modems when they go offline.

Peter_
17-02-2010, 05:38
Better training would be the way to go for some staff to say the least.;)

Sirius
17-02-2010, 05:44

Yep that would be that group of users we call "LETS ALL JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON OF THE DAY GROUP"

Seen that sort of thing happen here as well, remember the spider man advert that EVERYONE was so up in arms over they were writing to anyone that they could. Even the file sharers :roll eyes:

At the end of the day there is much more important things happening in this world happening that they could spend there obvious spare time on instead of a page full of something you would possibly see on a bill board somewhere in the uk. Its a bit of fun get over it and move on to something important

Rik
17-02-2010, 10:14
I guess I must be getting old and/or a prude.

I think you are taking it a bit too seriously Broadbandings, you are coming across as what you posted above unforunately.

What happened to the old Broadbandings?

I WANT HIM BACK!! :(

broadbandking
17-02-2010, 10:18
Yep that would be that group of users we call "LETS ALL JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON OF THE DAY GROUP"

Seen that sort of thing happen here as well, remember the spider man advert that EVERYONE was so up in arms over they were writing to anyone that they could. Even the file sharers :roll eyes:

At the end of the day there is much more important things happening in this world happening that they could spend there obvious spare time on instead of a page full of something you would possibly see on a bill board somewhere in the uk. Its a bit of fun get over it and move on to something important

:clap:

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

I think you are taking it a bit too seriously Broadbandings, you are coming across as what you posted above unforunately.

What happened to the old Broadbandings?

I WANT HIM BACK!! :(

:clap: agreed

pip08456
17-02-2010, 10:37
Broadbandings is just getting cranky in his old age, it happens to us all! God knows what he's going to be like when he retires!:p::p::p::p::p:

pabscars
17-02-2010, 10:40

I guess I must be getting old and/or a prude. Just seems utterly vulgar to me and somewhat embarrassing to be a customer of the Sunday Sport of ISPs.

Next presumably will be Roy 'Chubby' Brown as spokesman.<deleted>

Utterly vulgar might be a bit of a stretch, being an admirer of the female form myself, but it is a cheap shot for sure, reading between the lines I,d say VM must be more than a little concerned if they need to stoop this low.

Well one thing you can say about Chubby is he wouldn't sugar coat it like you suggested :D:D

Horace
17-02-2010, 11:06
Free publicity in one of Sky's own rags must be pretty priceless.

Welshchris
17-02-2010, 13:32
Free publicity in one of Sky's own rags must be pretty priceless.

Yeah just showing how pathetic and petty their competition really is.
Priceless.

Reminds me of the time when Sky pulled the plug on their channels and Virgin posted stupid things in its place on the channel numbers like "Sky Snooze for Sky news".

Digital Fanatic
17-02-2010, 13:39

Yep :clap:

Ben B
17-02-2010, 14:22

A further round of applause :clap:

Sephiroth
17-02-2010, 14:23
Broadbandings is just getting cranky in his old age, it happens to us all! God knows what he's going to be like when he retires!:p::p::p::p::p:

Jeez, y'all. He's going to be unbearable now!:rolleyes:

LondonRoad
17-02-2010, 14:34
Moments later the girls were seen heading back down the street and the message now read:

"FS! BAD RANDY BOY? MASTRBATE?"

I'm sure it was by accident. :angel:

Ben B
17-02-2010, 14:38
Moments later the girls were seen heading back down the street and the message now read:

"FS! BAD RANDY BOY? MASTRBATE?"

I'm sure it was by accident. :angel:
:LOL:

AntiSilence
17-02-2010, 16:28
I like their thinking :) lol

punky
17-02-2010, 16:48
I remember that advert quite well. I can't remember where it had a bunch of arses lined up in the street, it was a cool nostalgia trip while this is just vulgar Page 3 / Sunday Sport material. Had the flight attendants been wandering along with their baps out I might see what you are saying but as is I don't see any comparison.

You don't have to take it that literally.

The comparisonis using a bit of beauty/sex/women-as-objects advertising. Wether they have the arses/boobs or whatever out is irrelevent.

And for all your indignation, you're doing exactly Branson wants - drawing attention to the ad. That's what its there for isn't it?

So take a leaf out of Sirus' book. Its a bit of fun. Worry about something more important instead.

Well said mate. Will rep you when I can.

Ignitionnet
17-02-2010, 17:16
OK Ignoring the classless and tasteless nonsense the whole point of the ad was hilarious as well.

"This cheeky stunt was simply a humorous way to get across a serious message — that customers should demand what they are being promised from their internet providers."

Fairly poor effort when the VM network is suffering the worst congestion in years after the bodge job overlay network build, they are threatening to kick users off for undetermined amounts of usage where they have too many people sharing the bandwidth, protocol based shaping is coming in the not too distant future and STM is going to be tweaked.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

You don't have to take it that literally.

The comparisonis using a bit of beauty/sex/women-as-objects advertising. Wether they have the arses/boobs or whatever out is irrelevent.

And for all your indignation, you're doing exactly Branson wants - drawing attention to the ad. That's what its there for isn't it?

Lots of difference between doing it tastelessly for 'Nuts' readers and in an entertaining way but :shrug: whatever floats your boat.

I am happy to draw attention to this ad, not all attention is positive, just ask Toyota :)

Gary L
20-02-2010, 15:01
It's a clever marketing ploy. you are supposed to think that VM are better than everyone because they say that the others are crap and don't give you what they promise.

VM are crap and don't give you what they promise either, but the smoke screen they generate with these marketing ploys cover up that fact.

It's like having Arthur Daley paying some little kids to wave a few signs up saying that Bob sells you lemons. the required effect is that people will buy Arthurs lemons instead.

broadbandking
20-02-2010, 15:38
Pure Virgin way from the ads I have seen in the past, just a bit of fun, however when doing a ad like this VM are not going to be doing them any favours if they can't deliever there speed they are promising.

Digital Fanatic
20-02-2010, 15:45
didn't Ofcom say Virgin Media had the best speeds (on average) out of all it's competitors though?

broadbandking
20-02-2010, 15:51
didn't Ofcom say Virgin Media had the best speeds (on average) out of all it's competitors though?

They have won alot of ISP awards for been the fastest, however there are some bad areas with congestion, so if a customer in one of these areas gets broadband from VM and get really bad speeds, then it will look like the ad was lying and not but alot of hope in the VM in the customers eyes.

All I am saying yes VM offer the fastest speed, but they need to be careful they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

I mean I have had a couple of speed issues but in the 4 years I have had VM, around 3 years I have had top notch speeds.

Digital Fanatic
20-02-2010, 15:55
They have won alot of ISP awards for been the fastest, however there are some bad areas with congestion, so if a customer in one of these areas gets broadband from VM and get really bad speeds, then it will look like the ad was lying and not but alot of hope in the VM in the customers eyes.

All I am saying yes VM offer the fastest speed, but they need to be careful they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

I mean I have had a couple of speed issues but in the 4 years I have had VM, around 3 years I have had top notch speeds.

Yeah.. I know what you mean. Most people I know on VM get top notch speeds, but the ones who don't will be a little bit miffed... but you are always gonna get that I guess.

broadbandking
20-02-2010, 16:00
Very true but with the good areas VM need to be sure they stay good.

Digital Fanatic
20-02-2010, 16:05
Very true but with the good areas VM need to be sure they stay good.

Indeed :)

Maggy
20-02-2010, 16:09
Most people who find their way here do so because they are unhappy.The other vast majority of VM customers who are perfectly happy won't even have heard of CF and therefore aren't flocking here to say how wonderful their service is.

Many who are unhappy will switch providers with little problem and still have no reason to come and rant here because they switched without incident.

All the cases that get reported here are just a small squall in comparison to the vast ocean of contented VM customers.

Maybe VM are crap for you but they are not crap in everyone's eyes.

Digital Fanatic
20-02-2010, 16:13
Most people who find their way here do so because they are unhappy.The other vast majority of VM customers who are perfectly happy won't even have heard of CF and therefore aren't flocking here to say how wonderful their service is.

Many who are unhappy will switch providers with little problem and still have no reason to come and rant here because they switched without incident.

All the cases that get reported here are just a small squall in comparison to the vast ocean of contented VM customers.

Indeed :tu:

Maggy
20-02-2010, 16:18
Oh and I'm not really offended by the ad,just disappointed that Women's Lib hasn't apparently impinged on the young ladies concerned and that women are still thinking taking their clothes off for money is a good career move.:(

ahardie
20-02-2010, 16:20

I agree with the points you have made. Here is another favourable report (http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/virgin-media-top-for-january-broadband-speeds-040210.html) on VM's speeds. I know that is only likely to annoy someone in a congested area getting crap speeds but it does put it into some sort of context. In my estimation compared with the rest they are really good, but they could be excellent.

broadbandking
20-02-2010, 16:23

I don't think VM are crap just merely voicing my views how this ad could backfire.

moroboshi
20-02-2010, 18:42
Coming from The Sun, I doubt this even happened. The Sun, along with every other gutter press tabloid are about as trustworthy as an average politician. Show me a link to this on The Guardian or BBC NEWS then I might believe it.

Ignitionnet
20-02-2010, 23:35
I agree with the points you have made. Here is another favourable report (http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/virgin-media-top-for-january-broadband-speeds-040210.html) on VM's speeds. I know that is only likely to annoy someone in a congested area getting crap speeds but it does put it into some sort of context. In my estimation compared with the rest they are really good, but they could be excellent.

Given they are combining figures from Virgin's 10, 20 and 50Mbit services and Virgin's new advertising witters on about how people should receive what they pay for to only achieve on average 7.5Mbit, given there are no distance issues on cable, is shocking.

Very true - O2 supply a best estimate on their service and offer a free downgrade to the 8Mbit service tier if a customer's phone line isn't good enough to achieve higher, VM however do not give an estimate, they claim that you will be able to achieve 10, 20 and 50Mbit if that's what you pay for.

That they lose out to O2 on upstream speeds is just amusing :)

ahardie
21-02-2010, 08:01
Given they are combining figures from Virgin's 10, 20 and 50Mbit services and Virgin's new advertising witters on about how people should receive what they pay for to only achieve on average 7.5Mbit, given there are no distance issues on cable, is shocking.

Ah. I should have looked more closely at what they were comparing. Although when they do compare packages on a like for like basis VM is usually at least up with the best or is the best.

Ignitionnet
21-02-2010, 12:41
Ah. I should have looked more closely at what they were comparing. Although when they do compare packages on a like for like basis VM is usually at least up with the best or is the best.

Agreed - however not by that much. The MO seems to be to do the bare minimum to keep ahead of the bunch. As mentioned it'll be interesting to see how they react, beyond with a bunch of women showing their arses in The Sun, now that that bare minimum is more than it was.

Yes I made a funny re: bare :D