PDA

View Full Version : Overloaded Server

r-mo
15-02-2010, 14:40
I just rang VM to ask whether something can be done about my poor internet connection

http://www.pingtest.net/result/10465987.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/712742313.png

I was told the server I connect to is overloaded. They said they were aware of the problem but didn't have a date for when it'll be fixed. Quite impressed that they actually told me all this! and also gave me £10 compensation, without me even asking for it.

Still I really want to get a decent connection ASAP and had been thinking about either upgrading from 10 to 20Mbps or getting a BT line put in and going back to ADSL. Question is will upgrading to 20Meg put me on a different server or will I just get the exact same problems?

Hope someone can help

Steve

Ignitionnet
15-02-2010, 15:00
Upgrade will probably not assist - according to the ISP name on your tests you're already on the same equipment the 20M uses. It will, however, give you a shiny new 12 month contract.

r-mo
15-02-2010, 15:14
That's sad news. I could really do without the £115 for a new line. Still adsl24 were top notch when I was with them before and from reading recent reviews it sounds like they still are :)

Welshchris
15-02-2010, 15:32
Upgrade will probably not assist - according to the ISP name on your tests you're already on the same equipment the 20M uses. It will, however, give you a shiny new 12 month contract.

The older UBR equipment also shows up as Virgin Media on the tests now also.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

That's sad news. I could really do without the £115 for a new line. Still adsl24 were top notch when I was with them before and from reading recent reviews it sounds like they still are :)

i have a friend who is with ADSL24 in Sheffield and he said they r great but is lacking slightly on support side.

Ignitionnet
15-02-2010, 15:35
The older UBR equipment also shows up as Virgin Media on the tests now also.[COLOR="Silver"]

OK Understand - ex-ntl might ex-TW still doesn't.

r-mo if you get a BT land line on an 18 month contract or have already had a line you can get install for free.

r-mo
15-02-2010, 16:30
Is there a way of telling whether it's an older UBR? I'm not even sure how to look up the UBR name, is it something to do with my hostname cpc2-nfds13-2-0-cust###.8-2.cable.virginmedia.com? It's Leicester LE2.

I don't have a BT socket in the flat so guess there hasn't been a line here. Not sure I'd want an 18 month BT contract either as I'm not absolutely certain how much longer I'll be living here.

Welshchris
15-02-2010, 16:38
well when u do move chances r u will be connected to a different UBR/BSR that wont be oversubscribed.

Ignitionnet
15-02-2010, 16:49
well when u do move chances r u will be connected to a different UBR/BSR that wont be oversubscribed.

Sadly not the case.

r-mo - as per my original thought you're already on the same network as you would be on 20Mbit, the newer equipment, so it won't get you anywhere to upgrade.

r-mo
15-02-2010, 16:51
XD Thanks for that, going to be here for at least another 6 months though and I'd hope VM would have sorted it out by then!! I somehow doubt that I'd reconnect with them at a new address though...