PDA

View Full Version : 50 meg very slow when downloading

louisg
15-02-2010, 10:52
Hi,

There a 3 users in the house. I have a d-link dir 615 router. When one person is downloading it seems to make everyone else suffer when browsing the web.

Is there anything i can do in the router settings to allow each pc have so much bandwidth each.

Any help would be great thanks

HowardCanning
15-02-2010, 13:41
When you say downloading, what software/protocol are they using? Downloading from an HTTP/FTP source with a single connection shouldn't knacker the internet connection that much, but if you're using something like BitTorrent which initialises lots and lots of simultaneous connections, that's what slows it down.

louisg
15-02-2010, 14:48
When you say downloading, what software/protocol are they using? Downloading from an HTTP/FTP source with a single connection shouldn't knacker the internet connection that much, but if you're using something like BitTorrent which initialises lots and lots of simultaneous connections, that's what slows it down.

yes using bitTorrent. What would you advise i do?

HowardCanning
15-02-2010, 15:00
Either tell them that they're annoying everyone else in the house with their downloading habits and to cut it out during the day, or failing that have a look in the router's settings and see if there any options for bandwidth allocation, throttling, quality of service etc. A quick google seems to suggest you can prioritise traffic in the "Advanced > QOS" menu so I guess just set their computer's IP address to the lowest priority ;)

louisg
16-02-2010, 00:40
Either tell them that they're annoying everyone else in the house with their downloading habits and to cut it out during the day, or failing that have a look in the router's settings and see if there any options for bandwidth allocation, throttling, quality of service etc. A quick google seems to suggest you can prioritise traffic in the "Advanced > QOS" menu so I guess just set their computer's IP address to the lowest priority ;)

thanks, dont really know what to put in the settings though. can anyone else advise?

AbyssUnderground
16-02-2010, 09:38
They're saturating the upstream by the sound of it, so tell them to limit it to 50KB/s and that should sort it out.

broadbandking
16-02-2010, 10:30
thanks, dont really know what to put in the settings though. can anyone else advise?

What speed broadband do you have?

AbyssUnderground
16-02-2010, 10:40
Broadbandking... *Points at the title*

broadbandking
16-02-2010, 12:02
Broadbandking... *Points at the title*

Dammit got up too early this morning *walks away looking stupid*