PDA

View Full Version : v+ HD installation questions

ferritt
15-02-2010, 08:21
Hi,

Gonna ring up today and book a date for V+HD. How will they install it? At the minute I have 20mb broadband and phone with virgin, Never had virgin TV. I have split the internal coax with splitter from maplins and have one end plugged into the ntl modem and the other run under floor boards to old freeview box. Will there just plug the new v+ HD into the coax already there or is there more involved because you can record 2 things while watching another. Just trying to work out if I'll need to go under the floor boards again to run the cable?

cheers

paulius55
15-02-2010, 08:44
The engineer should put a splitter in the cable near where it enters your house, one to the V+ box and the other to the modem. Only one cable is required for the V+ box.

RobboEdin
15-02-2010, 09:41
Hi,

Gonna ring up today and book a date for V+HD. How will they install it? At the minute I have 20mb broadband and phone with virgin, Never had virgin TV. I have split the internal coax with splitter from maplins and have one end plugged into the ntl modem and the other run under floor boards to old freeview box. Will there just plug the new v+ HD into the coax already there or is there more involved because you can record 2 things while watching another. Just trying to work out if I'll need to go under the floor boards again to run the cable?

cheers

What do you mean when you say that you have an old freeview box connected to the cable? You say that you have never had Virgin TV.

PS Are you some sort of Walter Mitty in light of this thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33658572-problems-tv-signal-after-cable-cut.html

ferritt
15-02-2010, 10:06
What do you mean when you say that you have an old freeview box connected to the cable? You say that you have never had Virgin TV.

PS Are you some sort of Walter Mitty in light of this thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/33658572-problems-tv-signal-after-cable-cut.html

what I mean by old freeview box is entirely that. I have had an old FTA box for years which plugs straight into my virgin cable. By doing this i am able to get free to air channels. And in the other thread I had the virgin cable cut when driveway was being done (virgin came out and repaired for nothing) which effected both the modem signal and the FTA box signal. Had the same setup in my old house where I split the single virgin cable inside the house and had one running to the modem and the other running to the FTA box. I have never subscribed to virgins tv service as it didn't really interest me. Been more than happy with just freeview channels but after seeing some friends V+HD's I decided to sign to that rather than the more expensive sky service.

cheers

Digital Fanatic
15-02-2010, 12:21
what I mean by old freeview box is entirely that. I have had an old FTA box for years which plugs straight into my virgin cable. By doing this i am able to get free to air channels. And in the other thread I had the virgin cable cut when driveway was being done (virgin came out and repaired for nothing) which effected both the modem signal and the FTA box signal. Had the same setup in my old house where I split the single virgin cable inside the house and had one running to the modem and the other running to the FTA box. I have never subscribed to virgins tv service as it didn't really interest me. Been more than happy with just freeview channels but after seeing some friends V+HD's I decided to sign to that rather than the more expensive sky service.

cheers

A cable freeview box? They don't exist. Do you mean you have an old cable box that you are using as a "freeview" box without a Tv subscription? Or are you using a dodgy box and now the box is going to be a doorstep you want to subscribe? ;)

Anyway... as above the tech will split the cable from the omni box in the house and run a cable to where you want the V+HD box.. no major installation required.

With all the new HD channels coming it's a good time to upgrade to V+HD :)

Console_Crazy
15-02-2010, 12:26
Do you know what Channels we will be receiving and when Digi? :)

Digital Fanatic
15-02-2010, 12:30
Do you know what Channels we will be receiving and when Digi? :)

Deals are still being finalised but EuroSport HD & Discovery HD are launching in April :)

ferritt
15-02-2010, 12:55
A cable freeview box? They don't exist. Do you mean you have an old cable box that you are using as a "freeview" box without a Tv subscription? Or are you using a dodgy box and now the box is going to be a doorstep you want to subscribe? ;)

Anyway... as above the tech will split the cable from the omni box in the house and run a cable to where you want the V+HD box.. no major installation required.

With all the new HD channels coming it's a good time to upgrade to V+HD :)

I was using the old black box with grey and orange buttons. Just using it as a freeview box.

All sorted now tho. Installations booked in for march (earliest date they could give)
Got the V+HD box for £49 and monthly charge of £53 (XL TV, 20 mb net & standard phone line)

cheers

PS

Do you think the engineer will just re-use the cables that are already in place as I've been using them. Cant really be bothered to put the new ones under floor boards when they've gone

cheers

Console_Crazy
15-02-2010, 13:20
I was using the old black box with grey and orange buttons. Just using it as a freeview box.

All sorted now tho. Installations booked in for march (earliest date they could give)
Got the V+HD box for £49 and monthly charge of £53 (XL TV, 20 mb net & standard phone line)

cheers

PS

Do you think the engineer will just re-use the cables that are already in place as I've been using them. Cant really be bothered to put the new ones under floor boards when they've gone

cheers

Is that with the sports and movies or just the 165 XL channels??

Digital Fanatic
15-02-2010, 13:20

cheers

PS

cheers

Sounds like an old cable analogue box...

the engineer may well use the same cable if it's of a good standard, but they usually like to fiot VM branded sockets.

ferritt
15-02-2010, 13:26
Is that with the sports and movies or just the 165 XL channels??

just the 165 channels. Aint bothered about the movies. Will add sport next season.

cheers

Console_Crazy
15-02-2010, 13:50
just the 165 channels. Aint bothered about the movies. Will add sport next season.

cheers

Just wanted to check ;)

Thanks mate