PDA

View Full Version : Hope this isn't a stupid question

slugg
14-02-2010, 21:54
Hi folks,

I have honestly searched as many threads as I could btu couldn't quite find an exact answer to this...

I'm an apple mac user thinking of upgrading to 50MB. I already have a wireless network set up working with the 20MB package. I'm using an Airport extreme which is 802.11n already an both macs have 802.11n wireless...so....

I don't think I need a new router or the dongle(s) obviously the modem needs to be capable of 50 but will I be able to get the overall package cheaper if I don't need these "extras"??

Thanks for any help in advance.:dunce:

Graham M
14-02-2010, 22:04
Unlikely, can't hurt to ask though

martyh
14-02-2010, 22:10
i had a 'n' router and asked the same question and didn't get it any cheeper

RainmakerRaw
14-02-2010, 22:44
The 'extras' are a free gift for 50 meg customers; those on lower tiers need to buy them. As such, you either take the 'free' gift or not - it won't make your package any cheaper.

Peter_
14-02-2010, 22:57
Hi folks,

I have honestly searched as many threads as I could btu couldn't quite find an exact answer to this...

I'm an apple mac user thinking of upgrading to 50MB. I already have a wireless network set up working with the 20MB package. I'm using an Airport extreme which is 802.11n already an both macs have 802.11n wireless...so....

I don't think I need a new router or the dongle(s) obviously the modem needs to be capable of 50 but will I be able to get the overall package cheaper if I don't need these "extras"??

Thanks for any help in advance.:dunce:
You will be charged £35 for installation and £20 for activation and as part of the 50Mb package they include a D Link DIR615 N router with a compatible USB N adaptor at no extra charge.

You can refuse the router and adaptor but it will make no difference to the installation and activation charges which will still come to £55.

The is also no Self Install option for 50Mb.

Package prices can be found HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208)

Paul
14-02-2010, 23:42
The "free" VM router is still sitting in its box, as I also already have one. That said, my current linksys does seem to have a problem with 50M and needs to be rebooted every few days otherwise it slows down, so Im thinking about getting the VM router out of its box and giving it a trial spin.

RainmakerRaw
14-02-2010, 23:55
The "free" VM router is still sitting in its box, as I also already have one. That said, my current linksys does seem to have a problem with 50M and needs to be rebooted every few days otherwise it slows down, so Im thinking about getting the VM router out of its box and giving it a trial spin.

Which Linksys do you have? WRT54G(L)? I noticed this too, and it will only "cope" with 50Mbps using Tomato firmware. Others (eg DD-WRT) only give around 30Mbps WAN>LAN. The DIR-615 is good for what it is, but be aware it too chokes every couple of days or so, and needs rebooting. Contrary to the WRT with Tomato, the 615 from VM is limited to around 30 connections, so it soon falls over with heavy use (downloading etc).

I'm looking to get a Netgear WNR3500L when they're out this month; waaay more horsepower on board, much more RAM, and also Tomato & DD-WRT compatible. :D

EDIT:
It runs on a 480 MHz MIPS 74K CPU core with embedded hardware acceleration, 8 MB of flash and 64 MB of RAM. NETGEAR says the WNR3500L supports 350 Mbps of download wired routing throughput. (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-news/30941-netgear-announces-open-source-n-router)

See also MyOpenRouter (http://www.myopenrouter.com/) for more info. It looks like it's gonna be a monster with great routing and throughput (WLAN>LAN and LAN>WLAN).

Paul
15-02-2010, 00:14
Its actually a WRT54GS, with original firmware. I get the full 50M when its rebooted, but over a few days it slows down to about 20, sometimes even less.

slugg
15-02-2010, 00:41
Woah!!! Fantastic response folks...

Any idea why self-install isn't an option?
Is it that hard? Particularly if it's just switching out a modem?

Thanks for the advice on "freebies" seems a bit odd but there you go, either extraordinary generosity or some kinda scheme/scam which is over my head.

:confused:Also is it truly worth the switch from 20 to 50. I get reasonable signal most of the time but it occasionally drops very low and the modem has been known to flake out occasionally.:confused:

calmpitbull
16-02-2010, 20:34
The reason 50meg upgrade cannot be self install is because a tech has to do an official speedtest and make sure it runs at at least 40meg. Also it will have the signal and wiring checked.

Quite rightly you want to keep using the airport extreme. Just take the free n router and sell it, you can make a saving that way.

Peter_
16-02-2010, 22:14
Woah!!! Fantastic response folks...

Any idea why self-install isn't an option?
Is it that hard? Particularly if it's just switching out a modem?

It is exactly the same when you order a V+ it has to be a manned install, so it is a case of do you want the service which no one else can supply, if so pay for it to be installed then.

pip08456
16-02-2010, 23:29
:confused:Also is it truly worth the switch from 20 to 50. I get reasonable signal most of the time but it occasionally drops very low and the modem has been known to flake out occasionally.:confused:

Only you can answer that one. Do you really NEED 50Mb? Is it worth the extra for the use you will be putting it?

jtaylor06
17-02-2010, 00:30
Just a quick question:

Is the router you receive owned by you or is it on lease by Virgin? :)

Welshchris
17-02-2010, 01:23
The VM D-Link 615 is great, i get 48 - 52mb on wireless using an Edimax EW-7728IN Wireless N PCI Card.

the only thing and ive posted about this on a previous post on here i have one which hardware version is D2... theres no mention of it on D-Links website + firmware is marked as VM which i thought these wernt meant to be locked to VM firmware.

Peter_
17-02-2010, 05:46
Just a quick question:

Is the router you receive owned by you or is it on lease by Virgin? :)
Router information about router remaining Virgin property

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wireless.html

calmpitbull
17-02-2010, 16:12
That is interesting, I wasn't aware of that. You can't sell it then!

The wording of it seems a little contradictory, FREE wireless router, remains property of virgin media!?

Peter_
17-02-2010, 19:20
That is interesting, I wasn't aware of that. You can't sell it then!

The wording of it seems a little contradictory, FREE wireless router, remains property of virgin media!?
People do sell them especially the Netgear WGR614 and when they come unstuck the cannot get support from Netgear as the router has embedded firmware, so unless they know how to hack it successfully they have bought an expensive paperweight.

The reason it stays the property is because it is noted on your account as supplied equipment and is covered by full technical support and a 2 year warranty.

Dark Fiber
18-02-2010, 10:13
... because it is noted on your account as supplied equipment and is covered by full technical support and a 2 year warranty.
I don't understand the 2 year warranty bit. If it's "supplied equipment" owned by Vm, then surely it should be replaced whenever it fails (as a faulty modem would be)?

Peter_
18-02-2010, 13:21
I don't understand the 2 year warranty bit. If it's "supplied equipment" owned by Vm, then surely it should be replaced whenever it fails (as a faulty modem would be)?
After 2 years it is removed from your account and therefore no longer under warranty.