PDA

View Full Version : Big problems downloading

smallclone
11-02-2010, 08:40
Hi.

I'm on VIP 20MG and have been having a few problems downloading files on clients like Bittorrent.

The speeds have been about 800kbps to 1 meg for the last 6 months.

All of a sudden, 2 days ago, they dropped to around 50kbps. For no reason. I have not changed any settings, and the internet speed for browsing is fine still the same (1500kbs to 1900kbs usually).

An average 500MB file now takes around 9 hours instead of about 40 mins.

I have tried adjusting firewall settings and adjusting all settings within the Client, but to no avail.

I have downloaded quite alot in the last 3 weeks, could it be that my downloaded content has reached some kind of limit?

Thanks

Kymmy
11-02-2010, 08:43
P2P will never be a good way of testing speeds as you are totally dependant on everyone else.

What are your other downloading speeds like?

smallclone
11-02-2010, 08:45
P2P will never be a good way of testing speeds as you are totally dependant on everyone else.

True, but I've tried about 20 different files, and on every one there are a large number of seeds, which to me would indicate a good connection available.

What are your other downloading speeds like?

They are slow too, I haven't downloaded much else....a few .exe files and apps, and they do seem much slower than normal.

Kymmy
11-02-2010, 08:47
So if they are slow too it's not the P2P but in fact your whole connection :rolleyes:

Go and do the usual speed tests, multiple downloads from the vm game demo ftp site and also post the usual up/down stats from the modem

pip08456
11-02-2010, 08:49
According to Torrent Freak

"Virgin Media’s CEO Neil Berkett told The Register that the company will start limiting BitTorrent traffic for all its customers. To some this might not really come as a surprise, as earlier this year Berkett said “This net neutrality thing is a load of *******s.” Virgin’s BitTorrent throttling plans seem to back up this earlier statement. Which throttling methods Virgin will use has not been announced, but Berkett said that they will be implemented mid 2009."

Don't know if this has been implemented or not.

There are also other variables which affect bit torrent. How many seeds/peers?
Are they limiting their upload speeed?
Is your client set up correctly?

etc etc

smallclone
11-02-2010, 08:52
Don't know if this has been implemented or not.

In a way I hope that is the problem, as I rarely download as much as I have been recently.

I just wwish I knew when the details were.

There are also other variables which affect bit torrent. How many seeds/peers?
Are they limiting their upload speeed?
Is your client set up correctly?

etc etc

As I said, I didn't change anything, and the speeds have reduced drmatically. I have tried changing settings and setup the client differently but nothing is working.

pip08456
11-02-2010, 09:06
Don't know if it still applies but in the past ISP's have throttled the common ports used by P2P traffic. Changing the port may help, also ensure port is forwarded correctly in firewall/router.

smallclone
11-02-2010, 09:16
Don't know if it still applies but in the past ISP's have throttled the common ports used by P2P traffic. Changing the port may help, .

Do you eman the port in the Client?

I've tried changing that several times.

also ensure port is forwarded correctly in firewall/router

What do you mean by this?

cheers

Kymmy
11-02-2010, 09:44
Have you yet tested your other downloads (HTTP/FTP/SPEEDTESTS) ?? before suddenly putting the blame on VM throttling ports??

Also try posting your stats as asked as that'll let the vm techies on here diagnose whether it's a hardware issue or not

smallclone
11-02-2010, 09:52
before suddenly putting the blame on VM throttling ports??

I haven't put the blame on anybody. It's most likely my own mistake. I'm just exploring all avenaues at the moment to try and find out what the cause is.

pip08456
11-02-2010, 19:17
Do you eman the port in the Client?

I've tried changing that several times.

What do you mean by this?

cheers

Have a read here

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/bittorrent/qt/bittorrentports.htm

I would use a 5 digit port number.

martyh
11-02-2010, 19:29
i agree with pip08456 if your port isn't forwarded properly you will dramatically lose speed you will need to set them on your routers web page
I can also say that in my experience on 50mb my torrents have not been throttled and weren't uptill september last year when i upgraded