PDA

View Full Version : Ready Light Flashing - Internet Still working?

Stop It
09-02-2010, 18:59
Good afternoon all.

I'm sure there is a logical explanation for this, but a little enlightenment is needed here. When I got home from work today, my internet died after about 5 minutes (5live stopped, a clear enough indication of problems). My modem rebooted itself (going by my logs) and the ready light was flashing.

At this point the internet wasn't working, so I turned the modem off for 5 minutes (A VM branded 255) and the internet came back, only the ready light was (and still is) flashing. Now of course it may be nothing (And speedtest.net shows my connection blazing along) but why would the ready light be lashing even when the internet is functioning normally? Is it a sign of a dying modem, worse or should I stop being paranoid.

Thanks in advance :)

Lee

fatassmichael
09-02-2010, 19:39
are you on the 20meg package?

Stop It
09-02-2010, 19:41
are you on the 20meg package?
Yes, is that a factor?

Edit: Shows how out of date my profile is, it still said 4Mb! :p

Edit Edit: Ready light still flashing, my upload has changed from QPSK to QAM16 today too...hmm.

fatassmichael
09-02-2010, 19:46
my guess would be you are connecting through the overlay network (docsis3) to a new cmts (most prob the motorola bsr) and iirc these are having a few issues with their software which causes your modems ready light to flash, nothing to worry about if your connecting ok, although the light flashing would probably be annoying.

punkrock101
10-02-2010, 12:15
I am having the same problem in belfast - EX-NTL region, broadband is working ok just the ready light won't stop flashing.

Peter_
10-02-2010, 12:16
It is a firmware issue so do not worry about it.

Joedm45
10-02-2010, 13:48

I have the same problem but unfortunately it is effecting my service

Downloads see to work fine but my web browser (firefox) works for about a minute then comes up with errors. I live not too far from the OP so maybe an area problem?

Peter_
10-02-2010, 13:53
I have the same problem but unfortunately it is effecting my service

Downloads see to work fine but my web browser (firefox) works for about a minute then comes up with errors. I live not too far from the OP so maybe an area problem?
Call in on 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and someone can check your connection.

Stop It
10-02-2010, 18:47
Thanks, the modem logs show a reboot at 4am this morning, and since then the ready light has been back on.

Oh, and my interwebs have been racing along, easily topping out the 20mb connection when I test it.

Joedm45
10-02-2010, 23:55
Call in on 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and someone can check your connection.

Thanks Moldova. It seems to be working fine again but the ready light is still flashing away.

I'll give them a call if it carrys on for too long. Its either that or my trusty friend the black insulation tape to cover it up lol