PDA

View Full Version : Connection questions

MrMurdock
07-02-2010, 19:53
Hello everyone.
I’ve signed up for the cable BB TV and phone services. All has been fine fairly helpful lady salesperson on the phone (not really a surprise I guess) everything booked in and I am waiting patiently for the install (Saturday).
I do have a couple of queries that I hope you guys and/or gals can help with:

Will two cables be run in fron the street to my house, or a single one?

Can the cable be pulled from any ‘CATV’ point in the street?

What is the cable standard that is used ie RG58 etc?

How does it all connect together? I mean does the BB and phone come in and split, one to a phone socket another to the Modem then onto the TV . The reason for asking is that I want to be sure how it fits together in order to at least plan how the cables will run in my house.

Anyway thanks for letting me drone on.;)
MrM

Digital Fanatic
08-02-2010, 11:38
Hello everyone.
I’ve signed up for the cable BB TV and phone services. All has been fine fairly helpful lady salesperson on the phone (not really a surprise I guess) everything booked in and I am waiting patiently for the install (Saturday).
I do have a couple of queries that I hope you guys and/or gals can help with:

Will two cables be run in fron the street to my house, or a single one? Single

Can the cable be pulled from any ‘CATV’ point in the street? No just yours

What is the cable standard that is used ie RG58 etc? In the property? Usually RG6
How does it all connect together? I mean does the BB and phone come in and split, one to a phone socket another to the Modem then onto the TV . The reason for asking is that I want to be sure how it fits together in order to at least plan how the cables will run in my house. Comes in the home in one box, then splits off to 'phone socket and then to TV/BB points if required

Anyway thanks for letting me drone on.;)
MrM

MrMurdock
08-02-2010, 13:03
Right thanks Digi.

The CATV point is in the middle of driveway (left-right), the driveway is tarmac right up to the front of the house.
Could this be a problem?
There is no garden but a half height wall either side, i should mention also that it is a detached house which is rather old and cable entry will only be possible from one side.

Thanks,

Mr M

Digital Fanatic
08-02-2010, 17:50
Right thanks Digi.

The CATV point is in the middle of driveway (left-right), the driveway is tarmac right up to the front of the house.
Could this be a problem?
There is no garden but a half height wall either side, i should mention also that it is a detached house which is rather old and cable entry will only be possible from one side.

Thanks,

Mr M

The pre-install team will go out and check and pull cabling through ready for install during the week, if theres a problem they'll contact you... sometimes construction have to do a little work.

MrMurdock
09-02-2010, 09:34
Once again thanks for your comments Digi.

To make matters worse I now have to leave for work on saturday...typical!!

I spoke to the installation people at VM and while they can't give me an exact time they will make sure the team know of my concerns ahead of the visit.