PDA

View Full Version : Issues when trying to watch bbc iplayer

DC_FC79
07-02-2010, 18:13
Yesterday I had problems trying to watch programs on bbc iplayer and today wireless is slow on the laptop but this could be unrelated. Anyone else having any problems or know of any affecting the south west or gloucestershire area, is there anything i can do to see if there is anything wrong. Im using a netgear wgr614 for wireless connection and a webstar modem.

Thanks for any advdvice posted

Russ
07-02-2010, 18:24
Please can you not post the same question in two seperate threads, thanks.

DC_FC79
08-02-2010, 19:39
This is the only thread ive posted the question in unless you know soemthing I dont

pip08456
08-02-2010, 20:11
Yesterday I had problems trying to watch programs on bbc iplayer and today wireless is slow on the laptop but this could be unrelated.

The two could be related if there is a connection issue. I should imagine those that know will need your modem stats to diagnose.

Welshchris
08-02-2010, 20:23
if it helps i know BBC Iplayer is slow for a few people here.

Only a few hrs ago i was asked about it by two seperate people, my mates mum asked me and they are on an AOL upto 8mb connection and a couson asked me who is on a Sky upto 16mb connection.

DC_FC79
09-02-2010, 19:20
The two could be related if there is a connection issue. I should imagine those that know will need your modem stats to diagnose.

thanks, its been ok now but ill keep an eye on it

if it helps i know BBC Iplayer is slow for a few people here.

Only a few hrs ago i was asked about it by two seperate people, my mates mum asked me and they are on an AOL upto 8mb connection and a couson asked me who is on a Sky upto 16mb connection.

thanks, yes it could be iplayer as a whole, it would play for a minute or so then pause for a minute and start again

DC_FC79
21-02-2010, 19:50
Well i think im being limited, ive done a speed test and my download adn upload has dropped from what it was a few months ago. I have downloaded alot of stuff so if i dont download anything for a while would my speed increase

pip08456
22-02-2010, 00:00
If you are traffic managed it will commence from the time you passed the limit for a period of 5hrs.

Spectato
22-02-2010, 02:11
... ive done a speed test and my download and upload has dropped from what it was a few months ago. I have downloaded alot of stuff so if i dont download anything for a while would my speed increase
Much can change in a few months.
The speed I get now is less than half what it was when I was first cabled up here, about 14 months ago (okay, that's more than a few months, but you get the drift).

If it's just congestion/over-subscription in your area then they'll be inadvertently punishing everyone in your area, not just you.
Easing back on your heavy downloading schedule won't make any difference, except for giving the other users in your street a few more kbps.

It won't help with realtime stuff like BBC's iPlayer, but you could probably schedule a lot of whatever else you're downloading for the wee small hours, like between 01:00 and 08:00.
Would mean leaving your compy on overnight of course, if you don't already.

Doesn't sound as though you've ruled out the possibility of a technical fault yet though.

badhairday
23-02-2010, 00:26
If I use the red button on a BBC channel I cannot watch anything on the iplayer,picture is pixellated and stops. If I go into V+, TV on demand then the iplayer with the same programme it works .. weird!!

DC_FC79
26-02-2010, 10:30
If you are traffic managed it will commence from the time you passed the limit for a period of 5hrs.

its been more than 5 hours since i was heavily downloading and the speed is still rubbish, i did ask technical support if the line had been traffic managed and i was told no,

Much can change in a few months.
The speed I get now is less than half what it was when I was first cabled up here, about 14 months ago (okay, that's more than a few months, but you get the drift).

If it's just congestion/over-subscription in your area then they'll be inadvertently punishing everyone in your area, not just you.
Easing back on your heavy downloading schedule won't make any difference, except for giving the other users in your street a few more kbps.

It won't help with realtime stuff like BBC's iPlayer, but you could probably schedule a lot of whatever else you're downloading for the wee small hours, like between 01:00 and 08:00.
Would mean leaving your compy on overnight of course, if you don't already.

Doesn't sound as though you've ruled out the possibility of a technical fault yet though.

well since i did the speed tests ive now stopped downloading full stop, if it is a technical fault ive no idea how to check if everythings ok, the technical support guy did say the modem was fine. Take today for example im getting alot of "server can not be found" pages, maybe its the router so thats something i could try.

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

If I use the red button on a BBC channel I cannot watch anything on the iplayer,picture is pixellated and stops. If I go into V+, TV on demand then the iplayer with the same programme it works .. weird!!

im refering to the internet version of iplayer

badhairday
26-02-2010, 19:52
pouts and slinks away behind the sofa to watch the magical sparkly LED lights on the modem as they glimmer and twinkle ever so fast. :)

DC_FC79
01-03-2010, 18:56
I spoke to virgin about about problem and the guy mentioned about the modem and it should have been changed a while ago as its not suitable or words to that affect from what i remember so maybe its the modem thats causing the disconnections, just clutching at straws here,

Peter_
01-03-2010, 20:56
I spoke to virgin about about problem and the guy mentioned about the modem and it should have been changed a while ago as its not suitable or words to that affect from what i remember so maybe its the modem thats causing the disconnections, just clutching at straws here,
Which model is the Webstar modem.

DC_FC79
03-03-2010, 19:48
Which model is the Webstar modem.

It says on the bottom DPX100 series cable modem

ive got the new modem plugged in and my download speed has rocketed up to nearer the 10mb

Peter_
03-03-2010, 21:36
It says on the bottom DPX100 series cable modem

ive got the new modem plugged in and my download speed has rocketed up to nearer the 10mb
That model is usually replaced on sight due to issues they have drifting off frequency and causing connection and speed problems, you are well rid of a bad modem.

DC_FC79
05-03-2010, 14:05
That model is usually replaced on sight due to issues they have drifting off frequency and causing connection and speed problems, you are well rid of a bad modem.

It was fine until i started having problems last month, glad its now been sorted, ill keep an eye on the speed more often