PDA

View Full Version : Negligent Install

affynity
07-02-2010, 17:42
I don't mind if workmen aren't cheerful. I only expect to have the job done well.
I had my Virgin Media services upgraded from M TV/Broadband to XL TV, L Broadband and L Phone and the first engineer has done a completely below-par job of it.
The second engineer who came to install the phone line said he wanted to call his manager and clarify that he wasn;t involved in the earlier installation.
Only today, in daylight have I seen why.

The actual switch hub is OUTSIDE of the residence. It has no form of protection from the elements or human/animal contact. It has bare, exposed wires and isn't even attached or vaguely close to the house's wall.
Basically it is a free floating mess that could be damaged or hijacked.

I tried the contact centre but they weren't helpful, or really that sympathetic. Considering I paid for the installation I'm sure it must fall under "product or service as described" as a major violation.

Have a look at the photos.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs125.snc3/17234_315605946553_511126553_4666914_2863782_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs125.snc3/17234_315608041553_511126553_4666921_1668261_n.jpg

As you can see there is no garden, so why on Earth anybody would think this suffices is beyond me...

nodrogd
07-02-2010, 18:07
From the look of the photos, I'd say there may not be enough slack on the cables to fit into a new omnibox. Whatever, it definately needs sorting as its a safety hazard as it is.

affynity
07-02-2010, 18:22
From the look of the photos, I'd say there may not be enough slack on the cables to fit into a new omnibox. Whatever, it definately needs sorting as its a safety hazard as it is.

I agree. I'd even sooner it be an eyesore indoors with no fascia covering than be on the street. It's not as if I have a garden to add some distance from a public walking space.

fireman328
07-02-2010, 19:34
John Wayne rides again

martyh
07-02-2010, 19:50
I agree. I'd even sooner it be an eyesore indoors with no fascia covering than be on the street. It's not as if I have a garden to add some distance from a public walking space.

thats what struck me as soon as i saw the photo any passer by could rip that connection apart ..and we all know what kids are like did the second engineer sort it?

Jules
07-02-2010, 19:51
As installs go that has to rate as one of the worst I have seen in ages, and these people get paid!

affynity
07-02-2010, 20:21
The second engineer came to address an issue with the BT line transfer.
He called his manager so he wouldn't be associated with that installation. Or so he told me as he left. Then again he also said his manager would be calling by and nobody did.
Despite being ripped out by kids, or some pedestrian getting caught in it, would rain be a problem?

Digital Fanatic
09-02-2010, 00:05
The second engineer came to address an issue with the BT line transfer.
He called his manager so he wouldn't be associated with that installation. Or so he told me as he left. Then again he also said his manager would be calling by and nobody did.
Despite being ripped out by kids, or some pedestrian getting caught in it, would rain be a problem?

That is awful... I'm shocked that any engineer would think thats acceptable :shocked:

Moisture could cause an issue - yes.

I suggest speaking to faults again on 151 and log a complaint (CCCS) against the installer... no customer should have been left with such a poor install.

I'm really sorry thats happened to you... hope it gets sorted very soon.

calmpitbull
24-02-2010, 09:51
You could also report it as a fault, statistically this will penalise the previous engineers.

Whoever turns up to do the fault, point them to it and say "there you go, sort that!"