PDA

View Full Version : speeds

r94yan
07-02-2010, 12:28
i have not yet got my VM services (coming on 20/02/10) but i would like to know what are the max speeds that i can get, is there a way

Kymmy
07-02-2010, 12:32
Without knowing which package you have being installed and also where you live you might find that it's hard to give anything but a generic answer..

I get full speed out of my 10Mb package..

r94yan
07-02-2010, 12:35
ok i am getting the vip, 20MB and a generic speed is fine, just want an avergae, my postcode is n20 ***

Peter_
07-02-2010, 12:37
Whatever package you get is sold as an up to speed not an absolute speed.

r94yan
07-02-2010, 12:38
i know that but, is there a way to get a rough idea of what my speeds will be

Peter_
07-02-2010, 12:44
Unlike BT you should get close to the speed you are paying for.

Ignitionnet
07-02-2010, 12:45
You should be able to get 20Mbit at off-peak periods and maybe at peak too. Unlike DSL if you purchase 20Mbit on cable that's what you should be able to get so long as that 20Mbit is available.

tommol
07-02-2010, 13:51
what are the peak times im on the same package and get no where near 20mb?

Ignitionnet
07-02-2010, 14:25
what are the peak times im on the same package and get no where near 20mb?

Ah...

that's what you should be able to get so long as that 20Mbit is available.

If there's not enough bandwidth available in your area to service you fully you'll get whatever is available. Some slowdown is to be expected during peak periods. Prolonged and deep periods of being under speed should be considered a fault and should be raised with technical support.

RainmakerRaw
07-02-2010, 18:26
Prolonged and deep periods of being under speed should be considered a fault and should be raised with technical support.

Unfortunately that doesn't always work. My brother is in the WA11 area and his 20Mbps service was lucky to see 300KB/sec most of the time. During 'quieter' periods he could sometimes manage 5 megs. VM's tech support just said his area was full of heavy users and it was not a fault, just tough luck. :o:

They still charged him full price for his 'up to' 20 meg service though. He was going to get rid altogether and go back to ADSL2+, but I managed to convince him to get the 50Mb service instead. As we know that's generally much better for several reasons, and luckily he gets much better service now.

As always, some (not all of course) of the staff and the company attitude can let down what is essentially a great service. I'm lucky in that my area is well served, but small. I'm on 50Mbps and get a rock solid 6MB/sec 24/7.

If only certain factions of VM could pick themselves up by the scruff and 'get cracking' they'd be a world class ISP. Things do seem to be improving though, and *touch wood* my own service and experience with VM has been 100%.

Stuart
07-02-2010, 19:30
Unfortunately that doesn't always work. My brother is in the WA11 area and his 20Mbps service was lucky to see 300KB/sec most of the time. During 'quieter' periods he could sometimes manage 5 megs. VM's tech support just said his area was full of heavy users and it was not a fault, just tough luck. :o:

They still charged him full price for his 'up to' 20 meg service though.

Which could be considered an adequate reason for legal action. Clearly if VM can not offer full speed in an area at least some of the time, then they should not (legally) be advertising that speed.

In answer to the OP, try http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area.aspx . You enter your postcode and it gives you the speeds of people around you, compared with the packages they have..